Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Isabelle MasonIsabelle Mason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Emma LunnEmma Lunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having just had the assistance of legal aid in a divorce that my ex husband wanted to make messy, I can not stress how important it was in givingme the confidence to fight my corner. I knew the money was there for the lawyers if things got very complicated and I could not be bullied by mt ex because of lack of funds.
        But legal aid is not just that security, once it is granted your lawyers are being paid Legal aid rates. This means costs are less likely to spiral out of control.
        In my case I have assests and will be expected to pay the money back. So a system is already in place for recovery.Why can't it at least be offered on a loan basis?
        I strongly feel that all woman should support maintaining legal aid as we continue to be the less well paid sex and so, are more vunerable when it comes to costly civil legal matters.

• Marcia Simpson-JamesMarcia Simpson-James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is disgraceful. This a difficult area of law, where access to justice is essential. Why is the government attacking the most vulnerable needy. Without access to good legal advice, and that advice being funded through legal aid - there will be lots of people who will suffer. By the way, did I not hear that a millionaire business man was given legal aid the other day?

Feedback and Knowledge Base