I suggest a campaign about ...

Have Read-ins at town halls and civic centres in protest against library closures. Can dress up

Go to local town halls with a library book and sit down and read and refuse to leave at closing time. Could dress as faourite characters from literature.

564 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rachel KirkRachel Kirk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminAdmin shared a merged idea: Libraries  ·   · 

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Government is making cuts at arms length on so many services that they think people will blame the local authority rather than central government. How can we support the fight against so many small cuts all over the country such as in the town of Bentham in Westmorland who are putting up a fight. Once these services are gone they will never be replaced. This is a disgrace and we need co-ordinated action on so many fronts before all is lost.

This is such a damaging cut which covers the young through to the old. Libraries are central to a community and we must not let this happen.

• Nick ONick O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The writer Alan Gibbons is promoting Save our Libraries Day, to be held on 5 Feb. See `Voices for Libraries # 3 : 5 February is Save our Libraries Day` (25 January 2011) at http://angpav.blogspot.com .

• IreneIrene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having been to the meeting in Oxford Town Hall last week I am worried that cracks may appear and groups start to work with the council to run libraries with volunteers.... Oxford city could end up with the just main library and the one in Cowley. Many elderly and the disabled don't travel into the city centre because it's just too busy - and young famailes won't be able to afford the trip every week. I just don't have time to spend 2 hours getting into the city centre and out again to change my books.

• JeanJean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened to free libraries - want a book not in the county - pay up!!!
        Nothing like destroying what took years to set up - lets all have a go - start by selling off the Houses of Parliament to fund what the people of the United KIngdom want kept! I am sure some nice American guy like Donald Trump will want it for a golf course. It can be the 18th hole. That should sell for several billion - prime place, after all.
        The money could be banked and the interest go towards funding the NHS - oops - sorry - the way things are going there won't be one soon! Won't matter though 'cos the banks will have invested it unwisely and they'd probably start giving bigger bonuses.
        Hmmm - difficult problem!!! Where else?
        It could be spent on keeping all those MPs in comfort in their second homes - oops - sorry - they're already doing that aren't they?
        Let's not get off the track - which I seem to have done - SAVE OUR LIBRARIES - can you hear me over there in your ivory tower?

There is a campaign for a public inquiry into the future of the library service - see Benedicte Page - Call For Public Inquiry into Library Service (11 Jan 2011) at www.thebookseller.com.

Steve Ross, who`s been campaigning against library closures in Somerset, is calling for a national inquiry into the future of the library service - see Benedict Page - Call for Public Inquiry into Library Service (11 Jan 2011) at www.thebookseller.com .

• SimonXIXSimonXIX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voices for the Library http://www.voicesforthelibrary.org.uk/ is a group dedicated to bringing together library users and defending the UK's public libraries. According to the latest figures at http://publiclibrariesnews.blogspot.com/ , 373 libraries are under threat of closure.

Libraries provide much-needed community services and access to books and computers for the UK's most vulnerable people.

Laura,

You`re quite right that this pattern is set to be repeated across the country, though I can see it meeting stiff opposition. See `Libraries Closure Plan Sparks Fury Across District` (24/12/2010) at www.keighleynews.co.uk and Voices for Libraries (29/9/2010) / Voices for Libraries #2 (9/12/2010), both at http://angpav.blogspot.com, for more details. Good luck to you.

Perhaps the millions being provided to Bookstart could be better used to maintain our valuable library resource. It seems that libraries are being turned into computer centres rather than places for books - and I for one would prefer to pay my taxes for professional library facilities rather than grants to a charity - many of whose book choices seem to be very PC and luvvy-led.

• diggerdigger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sorry mike i thought it was your campaign.but if you think anything you dont agree with is masquerading as the truth what are your thoughts on free speech.

mike ive just read your libraries campaign suggestion and i couldnt agree more,they cant burn books anymore but they can shut libaries and deprive us of learning anything they dont want us to know we only see one side of the argument in the papers and on the television dont we?

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the problems in the world is access to near infinite quantities of information on pretty well everything - they may only have a little impact but libraries, and more importantly their librarians, provide a means of accessing quality/authoritative information while helping us with less experience to correctly differentiate between factual sources and the plethora of 'fictions' masquerading as facts. A scan of this and other such threads suggests we could probably all do with help in this area....

they cant get away with burning books anymore so they will shut libraries instead,remeber the nazis never lost the war they just relocated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base