I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop Hampstead Heath Dam

Save hampstead heath from degradation.
As of February 2011 plans are afoot to build an unnecessary dam in the heart of the pristine heath. This must not happen!

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Oscar RocklinOscar Rocklin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 1975 floods in Hampstead were not caused by an overflow or failure of the dams on the Heath and no one died. I would suggest that the current plans to increase the size of some of the Ponds will make the situation more dangerous. See more information at www.ProtectOurPonds.org.uk

• rossross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I walk my dogs everyday on the heath everyday and swim there regularly , now while I will loathe the disruption of the works going on at the heath I would loathe to see the flooding , loss of property and death that occurred in 1975 after floods from the ponds deluged gospel oak. The heath and its system of ponds were concieved by man and carved by man from the hillside.Now it is time to upgrade this system , and for some of us to grow up and accept change,after all it comes every new season

• alison assiteralison assiter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree that the risks of flooding are very low and the risk of substantial damage to the heath by erecting these unnecessary dams, very much higher. I also think the very large sums of money that it is proposed to spend on these dams is almost obscene at a time of large cuts to public services. The legislation which underlies the arguments for these dams ought to be changed.

• jaiyde Spiterijaiyde Spiteri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Sun,The Moon,and the Stars would have dissapeared long ago.....had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands...

Feedback and Knowledge Base