I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent the closure of public libraries

Libraries offer computer access to the poor, give access to books to those unable to afford them, and provide education for all, regardless of social status.

They are inclusive of all, not just the 'white middle class'. They provide ways to learn about other cultures as well as our own, promoting understanding of foreign ways of life. They enable people to learn about subjects they may not have had the oppurtunity to study in the past. They provide a quiet place to study and read. They allow people to see the world in new ways.

Knowledge is power!

1,985 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SAHSAH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

258 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Barry RawlingsBarry Rawlings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If knowledge is power then closing libraries is removing power not only for citizens but also for the next generation.

• Mike ChaneyMike Chaney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Access to a public libary is as basic a need as access to medicalk care or education. The abandonment of libraries by cash-strapped councils is short-sighted and should be avoided.

• SophieSophie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Public Libraries are more important than ever. Cutting them is simply illogical.

• DemelzaDemelza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Campaigners in Gloucestershire and Somerset have just won a high court victory against severe library cuts in both counties, but in gloucestershire at least, the council seem to be doing their damndest to go down the same destructive (and illegal) path, We cannot continue to fight this alone as camapaigners - Ed Vaizey and Jeremy Hunt need to do their duty and intervene.

• R CartwrightR Cartwright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are vital because they are open and free for all to use - I feel really strongly that they must not be closed.

• GSOGSO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The libraries are of value in every context of our lives.

Better libraries, not closed libraries please :)

• JeannieJeannie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The councillors don't get very much in expenses and it must be better now we have a Chief Exec who is not paid more than the PM ! The idea is that the charitable organisation keeps the current staff but will that work in the long term? I certainly will not be doing any more volunteering in the library than I do now !

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time Cllrs had their exspenses cut Jeannie,If they contiue to pass their responsibilites over to the BIg Society and Eric Pickles Localism, the State will practically be redundant and worse still, who be be accountablefor Taxpayers monies.? I am glad I live in Wales, easier to keep an eye on our libraries etc As for chatitable organisation taking on more voluntarism,good luck to them,many are not geared up for more responsibilities.

They tell us no libraries will be closed and they hate the word "privatisation" and prefer "charitable organisation". Things will radically change over the next 10 years but they are only bothered about what happens NOW. They are hoping people will forget about it over the years when anything can happen !

Keep asking at all CLLr meetings and in the public participation time allocated,Jeannie, perhaps they can be be embarrased. Remind them of the unemployment figures and that it can happen to them. The public purse (taxpayers money) pay them at inflated prices, Have the Cllrs had cuts yet.?

Libraries are full of information and knowledge, I am happy to pay my tax to keep them open. I am an avid reader all my life. When the proposed cuts happen does the Local Authority give you a rebate? Perhaps we should ask in future.I

• JaniceJanice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The library is a place for quiet study, group study, and social networking. Also, information is a valuable resource and it is all there waiting to be discovered right there in the library for individual empowerment.

We all know that libraries are the best thing since sliced bread but how do we stop them being privatised?

• ConradConrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading is a quiet education, and great fun; and it should remain free.

Agree with comments. Hope Wales do not follow Englands example. Knowledge is power and used properly can be advantagous to all. Would be lost with out a good read.

Feedback and Knowledge Base