I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent the closure of public libraries

Libraries offer computer access to the poor, give access to books to those unable to afford them, and provide education for all, regardless of social status.

They are inclusive of all, not just the 'white middle class'. They provide ways to learn about other cultures as well as our own, promoting understanding of foreign ways of life. They enable people to learn about subjects they may not have had the oppurtunity to study in the past. They provide a quiet place to study and read. They allow people to see the world in new ways.

Knowledge is power!

1,988 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SAHSAH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

258 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CazApr1CazApr1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As well as the many other uses of Libraries, 8 out of 10 0-5year olds in the country use their local library - reading for pleasure is so important in supporting any future academic achievement - how can this not be worth keeping?!

• Sarah Prior-JonesSarah Prior-Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

libraries are for everybody, regardless of age, sexuality, skin colour, social situation , state of health or income. There are no qualifiers.

• Joss O'KellyJoss O'Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone is doing their best to stop library closures in their own areas, but a national campaign could be the way to go.

• s.vinyards.vinyard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I had young children and we were quite hard up, the highlight of the week was to visit the library. There were bedtime stories for the children and they loved choosing from the myriad of books. I could find recipes for economical meals and ;learn crafts to uplift from books and DIY tips - I have taught children to act in plays which I found in the libraryt - here is something wonderful about walking into a library.It's on another level to the mundane. The atmosphere is condusive to study too. I would never like to be without a library - and the good thing was this was all free!

• JeannieJeannie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Public Libraries are important in any society. This is supposed to be the BIG Society, does that mean divesting/selling/leasing off our libraries. We must keep all our libraries, no ifs, no buts !

• Mary HoffmanMary Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just the development I wanted to see, something that wouls mobilise nationally all the goodwill towards libraries and the horror at the possibility of their closure. Libraries made me the writer I am.

• JWren09JWren09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I owe my love of literature to Cowbridge Library, my appreciation of art to the Warburg, my knowledge of history and the classics to New College and the Bodleian Library, my love of film noir to Woking Library and a terrifying quantity of late fees to Worcester City Library. Hands off these powerhouses of intellect and generosity.

• JWren09JWren09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I owe my love of literature to Cowbridge Library, my appreciation of art to the Warburg, my knowledge of history and the classics to New College and the Bodleian Library, my love of film noir to Woking Library and a terrifying quantity of late fees to Worcester City Library. Hands off these powerhouses of intellect and generosity.

• CazlarCazlar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Closing libraries is the eqivalent of burning books and not the mark of a civilised society

• Kelly SaundersKelly Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libraries are for everyone, but are especially useful to those people who are most disadvantaged in life as they provide free education and entertainment. These are people who will lose out under this government and we have to fight and make our voices heard in saying that this is not okay.

• KayzeeKayzee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Free access for leisure and information - there is an act giving legal status to libraries - please keep to this and keep libraries open, the future depends on them

• Jill GriffithsJill Griffiths commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Public libraries and the librarians who work within them are the cornerstone of communities, offer equality of access, bridge the digital divide and open the pages (whether physical or electronic) to the knowledge and culture of the world - we cannot afford to lose them.

• Suzanne HalkyardSuzanne Halkyard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Knowledge IS power, where else can people of all ages go to get unbiased information all in one building, in any format, for all people, from all walks of life...go to your library to access this and more for free!
        Libraries and Information centres in North Yorkshire have revamped their image, have a no shush policy & are not all about books in a stuffy, boring environment.
        People meet to have coffee & biscuits, read the papers, pay their bills, choose films/music/audio books on mp3. They also have fun, meet new friends through the power of conversation, find work, access free computer courses, all through these community centred buildings.
        Libraries are already part of the Big Society, so why change something when it is not broken? Volunteers already deliver books to housebound readers who cannot carry their books, or get into choose for themselves but it is the paid staff that make the choices and organise this. Volunteering in the day to day running of a library will enrich what is already happening now but to expect them to cope, on their own without training, with the diverse challenges that can be experienced on a day to day level is asking way too much.

• AngeAnge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My little boy has just joined our local library. We must fight to keep them for future generations.

• shaunshaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, libraries are important mainly to the younger generation. Libraries are peaceful places where people can read many books and other resources. Children need to have knowledge of the past, schools can't teach everything.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like I am living in a nightmare where the libraries are closed, the poor are made poorer by the filthy rich and it is permanently Winter. Maybe I will wake up soon and find the opposite is actually true: libraries are being given larger budgets to improve their facilities and the range of books etc available for free loan; all members of society are valued & respected regardless of their finances, oh and the sun shines nearly every day.

Oh well a person can dream. PLEASE SAVE THE LIBRARIES! Libraries are for everyone and everyone can benefit from a visit to their library.

Feedback and Knowledge Base