I suggest a campaign about ...

Save May Day

May Day is an ancient British festival around since pagan times and is one of our few traditions left relatively intact. It has become associated with the working class and is now threatened by a government that wants to move it to October and reclassify it as a UK celebration day of some sort. This is a disgrace. For centuries governments have tried to repress this festival, let us not be the generation that lets it happen.

258 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tabitha MellorTabitha Mellor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • carol henncarol henn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

may day is a traditional english bank holiday celebrated in many parts of the country and welcoming in spring .many villages and towns rely on the income that is brought in by visitors watching these old and ancient customs and I for one would be sad to see its disapearence, dont let this government walk all over all our old customs because once they are gone they will never come back again,its a lovely joyous day celebrating life not death as the battle of trafalgar did.

• Linda BLinda B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened to the campaign for an extra bank holiday in between August & Christmas? We should have an extra one to bring us in line with our EU cousins NOT TAKE AWAY AN EXISTING ONE!!! The Monday after Remembrance Sunday would be appropriate.

• ArbeitsSchuArbeitsSchu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On top of everything else, they want to cut a bank holiday? What, are we supposed to think that it is part of their making the bankers work harder for their ridiculous bonuses?

• aslanaslan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this feels important for all sorts of reasons and for all sorts of people ... i think it comes down to consultation and ownership of public life in the UK ... does it belong to the govt? does it come from the top down? or does it belong to all of us and do the govt serve that expression of community?

• lee Hamiltonlee Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not take away our May day festival. It is a day of celebration with significant social and cultural heritage. And for what are you taking away the 'workers day'? The last time this was done it was an act of the parliamentarian Oliver cromwell, does this present govt want associations with such a historical despot.

• Yvonne Sibbald Yvonne Sibbald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is outrageous of the government to try and move this cherished holiday with its traditions going back centuries. I regarded it as a punishment to both Pagans and Trade Unionists.

• Natalie BrownNatalie Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Save the Beltane holiday! Add another day in October if you must but leave our Beltane alone....please????

• ColetteColette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree wholeheartedly with previous comments of those people like Angel, Steve Wood, Nick Roberts etc, KEEP May Day and ADD October!! To remove May Day removes a massive part of our history and a huge pagan festival.

• Jan MillingtonJan Millington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't make any better comments that the ones below written by Nick Ford and John Billingsley!
        Let's keep May Day; give us another Bank Holiday for sure; any excuse for a day off! As has been written, we have the fewest public hols in Europe, and work the longest hours.
        ALL public holidays are celebrations of us as 'workers'! Hard won gains against the over-riding philosophy that life=work.

• DreadfilDreadfil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's continue to celebrate life, and not senseless death. Leave our heritage alone.

• JonnyJonny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Springtime rite & worker's holyday is essential. As the Justified Ancients Of MuMu & R A Wilson were prone to comment " Hurray, Hurray the first Of May~ outdoor sex begins today!"

• Zoe Carter-BrownZoe Carter-Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May Day is an ancient tradtion loved by millions of people, How can they think of upping and moving it!! A day should be ADDED not moved, we have the least amount of holiday's or Festival's in Europe.

• YvonneYvonne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May Day is a special bank holiday with traditions going back centuries. We need to endorse and cherish what little is left of our English culture - it seems every other country is allowed a traditional culture (even within the UK) except England! Please don't stop this bank holiday! SOS/mayday - If bank holidays attract the tourists the government feel are necessary then why not add another one rather than deprive us of our May Day.

Feedback and Knowledge Base