I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban pesticides from killing the bees.

Bees are being killed by pesticides which have already been banned in other countries

1,551 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Julian SiglioccoloJulian Siglioccolo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    CarolineCaroline shared a merged idea: Saving bees, who have delined alarmingly worldwide, by banning neonicotinoid pesticides  ·   · 

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • viv Dawsonviv Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

have been aware of this problem for some time
        bees are our major pollinators and we rely on them

• Julian SiglioccoloJulian Siglioccolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bees not only make honey and royal jelly but also propolis. This is used to repair the hive and acts as a sealant. They obtain this from the buds of conifer trees which they mix with some wax.Amazingly propolis as anticeptic,antibacterial,antifungal and antiviral properties.Trees use resin to protect themselves from infection and the bees utilize the resin to make propolis.We humans need to work with nature and we must protect our bees for the benefit of mankind.

• EmilyEmily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honey Bees are important polleniators of crop plants and if they continue to decline, food production will be seriously effected, not just the production of honey. Bumblebees as well are important pollenators of wild plants and if they go extinct, we will lose many plant species too.

• student2927student2927 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think this matter is a debatable concept , as bees make us our sweet substance called honey. But on the other hand they are also the devil the sting with their sharp tail. However i believe bees should not be killed. If you have a bees nest in your house it should just be moved to another habitat. My conclusion is that bees should keep living but maybe reduce there numbers but wasps on the other hand are absolutly deadly and are not need in the earth.

Anyone who knows the effects of neonicotinoid pesticides and remains silent is complicit in a crime against humanity,bees and life on the earth itself. If you know anything please speak out. There is already enough evidence from other countries to have an immediate ban here. Is cash really more important than humanity?

• JillJill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are we waiting for some bureaucrate to get sufficient evidence before we react. By the time we bring in legislation it will be toooooo late
        we must act now, anyone with any amount of common sense will know without Bees we are dead in the water!!!!!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not only the bees that suffer from the effects of pesticides, they do need protection. The use of pesticides is a much wider health and environmental issue too.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not only the bees that suffer from the effects of pesticides, they do need protection. The use of pesticides is a much wider health and environmental issue too.

• BonnieBonnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding neonicotinoids - it appears that in countries that have banned them - Germany, France and Itally the Bee population is recovering. That is enough for me to say these need to be banned in the UK immediately. What are we waiting for?

• JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I can tell from a quick search of the literature there is no definitive evidence of GM crops or em radiation from phones causing any effects, do you know of any peer reviewed journals in which this is mentioned in? I don't exactly trust a brochure as a source of science.

As far as I can tell from further reading on this there is no evidence of pesticides killing bees directly, but a reasonable significant amount suggesting them being a contributing factor, along with disease and parasites. Still, seems like more studies need to be done to determine which pesticides are dangerous, and how badly so :/

• SaraSara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that we sold ban harmful chemical pesticides and turn to sustainable farming. However it is not the only thing that is killing the bees.
        Also the radiation emitted from all the phone mats covering the country with high levels of microwave radiation. Bees have been found to have totally destroyed immune systems.
        A scientific report was presented at a conference at the Royal Society in 2008 detailing the evidence for this
        The radiation destroys the immune system leaving the bees susceptible to attack from other toxins and pests. They are effectively like AIDS patients and appear to die from something else.
        However the question is why are their immune systems so weak in the first place that they are now so extremely sensitive to these poisons?
        So for example it also looks as though GM plants affect them (which they do) and the varroa mite too is now taking a heavy toll. The bees can just collapse from radiation poisoning alone even if not attacked from another toxin.
        We have to look at the total problem and not just focus in on one poison for stopping the pesticides alone will not save them
        Please see
        http://broschuerenreihe.net/britannien-uk/brochure/bees-birds-and-mankind/index.html
        Bees, Birds and Mankind, Destroying Nature by `Electrosmog´
        Dr Ulrich Warnke

Effects of Wireless Communication Technologies
        A Brochure Series by the Competence Initiative for the Protection of Humanity, Environment and Democracy

http://bemri.org/hese-uk/en/issues/nature3e83.html?id=bees

• hobby fruit and veg growerhobby fruit and veg grower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without bees and other pollinating insects we will ALL die. It's not just bees that are being affected by synthetic chemicals - in growing numbers, humans are suffering from

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - google me if you haven't heard of it.

which is a deeply disabling condition and it's impossible to escape in our polluted world. Banning of synthetic fragrance should also be a priority - another major headache offender.

Let the weeds grow - they are just flowers in the wrong place. We must learn from the Bees and of course take steps to save them.

• Dee HollingsworthDee Hollingsworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem came to my attention about 8 years ago and the demise of bees has got worse year on year. Although saving bees seems to go over a lot of people's heads, Debs Pender has got it right 100%. Whatever the cause, the effect of having no bees will be catasrophic for humans. Unfortunately human beings feel that they have the right to, and do, interfere with nature with no thought of the consequences. Urgent action needs to be taken on this. All living things have a reason for being....except perhaps the human kind!

• Debs Debs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that the majority of people don't care about bees, but they soon will when there is no fruit or vegetables to buy and the shelves are bare. Theories involving mites, pesticides, global warming and GM crops have been proposed as being involved in the demise of bees. It now appears that the powerful magnets used in wind turbines interfere with the natural magnetic forces that bees use for direction. There is also evidence that mobile phones interfere with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously home loving species from finding their way back to their hives. It is surprising how little interest people have in this and when the various species of bees have gone, it will be too late to bring them back. More research is urgently required.

It is incredible 'RP' that you really care about bees and understand about them and you have not got a garden. You deserve to have a garden because you appreciate the importance of bees.Some people have huge swathes of land and the biodiversity on it is almost nil.

Feedback and Knowledge Base