I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban pesticides from killing the bees.

Bees are being killed by pesticides which have already been banned in other countries

1,551 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Julian SiglioccoloJulian Siglioccolo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    CarolineCaroline shared a merged idea: Saving bees, who have delined alarmingly worldwide, by banning neonicotinoid pesticides  ·   · 

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sebastian HolmesSebastian Holmes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whether we like it or not, without bees, the human race cannot survive. We need to preserve them at all costs. Apparently the newer pesticides are so efficient that they are 6,000 times more powerful than DDT which was banned in the 60s (neonicotinoids are particularly bad I understand). There's a vote in the EU on 25th Feb. Let's try and influences that vote if we can!

• Chris Hancock (bee-keeper)Chris Hancock (bee-keeper) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Systemic pesticides on seeds and spray treatments are designed to kill insects- honey-bees and pollinators are insects which ensure the future existence of most plants, crops and fruit and even trees. If insecticides like these did not work, there is no use using them, thus it is inherent that our pollinators will be affected. What happens to plant life and all that depends upon it when pollinators die out, as in China.
        They have to pollinate crops by hand. Foolish use of chemicals needs banning.

• BenjaminBenjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Four recent studies linking the use of neonicotinoid pesticides have been the subject of a British Government review ordered by Sir Robert Watson, chief scientist at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). The study has recently (Sept 2012) concluded that no action needs to be taken against the chemicals concerned, citing "a concern that the laboratory studies did not simulate adequately the field conditions."

I urge people to get together to campaign against the government putting the profits of biotech and petrochemical firms, such as Bayer, ahead of such a worrying concern as the decline of the bee population.

• Matt BrowningMatt Browning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It isn't just pesticides killing Bees but also chemical spraying of our atmosphere. Don't forget we have been using fertilisers for a long time and have improved the impact on the environment and they are controlled to a lesser or greater degree however atmospheric spraying has no control; in fact hardly anyone will acknowledge it even happens. It does and it kills Bees, Bird, mammals and people and needs to be brough under control.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Government was due to implement the EU Sustainable Use of Pesticides Directive into UK law last November. Sadly Defra decided to support farming and pesticides lobbyists. This is short-termism! Governments around the world have got to wake up to the fact that the use of pesticides for the mass production of crops by greedy supermarkets has got to stop! If all bees die, there will be no crops to feed humans or livestock. Without food we will become extinct. The Ecologist published an enlightening article which stated: “Agri-chemical companies like Syngenta don’t just make the chemicals that have been blamed for the decline in bees; they also breed the bees that are being used as a replacement for wild pollinators.” If you’re looking for further inspiration on this issue, then check out Georgina Downs of the UK Pesticides Campaign. This fabulous woman has been running the only campaign on this issue for many years.

• David OsDavid Os commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i was going to suggest this myself. i have been aware for several years of the decline in insect populations. bees a very important as i am sure you all know however, there are other pollonaters that are in decline

• Rosemary MasonRosemary Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a global team whose members have been researching for a year; we have found the conditional registration document for clothianidin on the US EPA website. (There is similar information on the Australian Pesticides Agency (APVMA) website.) All the protection agencies we have written to in the last year have said that there is no evidence that it is harmful to bees. Both reg documents say that it is highly toxic to bees, through direct contact and exposure and through the pollen and nectar it is highly persistent in the environment, toxic to aquatic systems and there was evidence of effects on the rat immune system. Our protection agencies are protecting the pesticides industry, not us. We need to get this information to the public, preferably by asking them to lobby their MPs and MEPs . Rosemary Mason rosemary.mason01@btinternet.com

• Julian SiglioccoloJulian Siglioccolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Avaaz (a sort of global version of 38) have a petition on this here:
        http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bees/?fpbr This was the first comment on this campaign.Please sign up for the global campaign.I cannot believe there are only 1.5 million people in the whole world who understand the importance of bees! If someone knows how to do this campaign in a more effective way please help now. Some species of USA bees down by 96%!This is a world wide problem and it will effect all of us.

Avaaz (a sort of global version of 38) have a petition on this here:
        http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bees/?fpbr This was the first comment on this campaign.Please sign up for the global campaign.I cannot believe there are only 1.5 million people in the whole world who understand the importance of bees! If someone knows how to do this campaign in a more effective way please help now. Some species of USA bees down by 96%!This is a world wide problem and it will effect all of us.

• DBDB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pesticides and particularly neonicotinoids have largely dropped out of public awareness since Silent Spring by Rachel Carson was published. The pesticides companies have been making millions at the expense of the environment. Environment means every living thing including humans.

• Michael HuntMichael Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is strong evidence that neonicotinoids are having a very negative impact on our bees. Why not ban them outright in the UK like they have been in many other parts of the world?

Many of the issues on this site are diluted by the number of campaigns. The commonality between many issues should be found and this should be the focus.The link to many issues is money is king and short term gain for the few is what counts.It does not matter if the bees are wiped out as long as money can be made from the consequences. The bees work from dawn to dusk for the benefit of the colony. They work selflessly with no concern for their own well being. If humans did this the earth would be a better place.The world is a finite resource and we all live on it together.The bees show us what to do with teamwork.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a beekeeper and definitely worried about the effect of pesticides on my bees (and what does it do to the honey?).
        As several people have said that without bees we are 'doomed' but big business, such as Monsanto, will probably have its way as usual.
        Honey bees will travel up to three miles to get nectar, so its not what in your own garden tha attracts them.

• katie scarlettkatie scarlett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THe saddest thing is that I have not seen even one post from the beekeeper - I know personally several who seem to be completely uninterested in welfare of their bees, as long as they produce enough honey for sale. I love bees and am lucky enough to grow plants specifically for them (to much of a wuss to actually keep them), but the beekeepers I know don't even think of providing diversified food sources for them, and instead just wonder if the bees get sick. It's not only pesticides should be banned. To protect bees we should ban the weedkillers also and burning the plant material while bees are working - i.e. outside of winter months and use less chemicals altogether.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base