I suggest a campaign about ...

Unfair and discriminatory changes to Womens' pensions. Pension postponed 6 years because I'm 56!

The Goverment is proposing to change Womens' pension eligibility. If you fall into the age group 56 or younger your entitlement to a State Pension will be postponed for many years. I am 56 and I will have to wait another 6 years for mine! These changes have been imposed without giving women enough time to plan to work for another six years...he proposals for men are not nearly so draconian!

143 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jane westonjane weston shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SIGN BOTH PLEASE - NOT DUPLICATES
        Reverse Pension Law
        http://you.38degrees.org.uk/p/statepensionlaw

My petition: Revoke Pension Bill and Revoke Flat Rate Pension
        https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/state-pension-at-60-now

Even if gained state pension tomorrow, the Flat Rate Pension denies millions any state pension, leaves current pensioners on lower state pension forever, ends Pension Credit, and SERPs and State Second Pension, with no guaranteed triple lock annual rise for that additional pension. There are millions losing state pension for life already, as well as all future pensioners, their children and grandchildren.

• FlickFlick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are not enough of us to make the government take notice without help. Six years lost state pension equates to £30,000!! This is outrageous. We need to make the government change their minds.

• gaye de leirosgaye de leiros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This affects people older than you outline. I have just had my 60th birthday and unlike my sister I cannot claim my state pension until july 2015. That is over £15,000 I (and others of similar age) have had taken away I have been contributing towards my pension for 35 years. To add insult to injury I will have to pay the higher rate of contribution but will not be able to claim the new higher state pension in my lifetime. The worst of all worlds and creating another two tier system. I think Dame Anne Begg is reviewing this but I have'nt yet written to her.

• Ella TosaElla Tosa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Danny Alexander: I am going to make some progress, if I may.

The second and third tests of Lord Hutton were fairness to public servants and fairness to taxpayers. The Government have worked hard to ensure that the reformed pensions are fair and continue to provide a generous level of retirement income for public servants as a fair reward to a career spent serving the public. The Government made a commitment that these schemes

29 Oct 2012 : Column 62

would be at least as generous at retirement for those on low and middle-income earnings. We have delivered that commitment in a number of ways.

First, clause 16 allows transitional protection to be provided for those who have already had a long career in public service and are approaching retirement. I said in November last year that the offer provided that those within 10 years of their normal pension age on 1 April this year would not see any changes to their pension, nor the date at which they can draw it. The Bill ensures that the current final salary schemes will remain open to people who are covered by the transitional protection criteria in those schemes. Most of the proposed final scheme designs include the transitional offer as we set it out; however, the local government scheme in England and Wales has chosen alternative arrangements as sought by their trade unions and employers.

Why are women being treated differently surely this is sexual discrimination.

• JudeJude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I may be being too simplistic, but it seems to me that we, at the bottom of the pile, (pensioners, long-term sick, unemployed, disabled etc) are having money stolen from us in order to pay BILLIONS and BILLIONS for new nuclear power stations and Trident missiles. How else could they afford them?

• carol-anne abbinkcarol-anne abbink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jane,
        I was 24 hrs. too late for my pension, as my birthday fell on 6th January, 2011, just when the new pension scheme was introduced, so I had to wait until November before my pension began. What I think is so wrong about this new pension scheme, is that for all of us that turned 60 in 2011 we were denied any backdated pension. (Seeing that I only get 39.00 anyway) With the old system, your pension began on the day you turned 60. In my books, that equates to theft. They rushed this bill through so quickly, absolutely NO thought was given to women whatsoever. Seeing that most women in the U.K. don't get equal pay for most part, this is the worse act of sexual discrimination I've ever seen of late. I wonder if this would stand up in the EEC rules and regulations? A high percentage of retired women in the U.K. have been struggling with poverty for decades, but this has never been addressed, and like you so rightly say, the proposals for men are not so draconian. The other part of this equation is the rampant "age discrimination" what will happen to women of a "certain age," if they lose their job or have to find a job? I am 61, have lived abroad for many years, and find it nigh impossible to find a job. Even women of younger age, are having a helluva time trying to find work because of a very depressed economy, Ian Duncan-Smith hasn't addressed this issue has he? If we can't work, then we can't pay National Insurance, what happens then? I hope more women will take this issue on board, and support your campaign because it's something that affects ALL women!

• Anne KeenAnne Keen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, i totally agree. I've had to wait four more years - I should have retired next year. The thing is there's quite a few of suggested campaigns for a change in the law and I feel it would be far more effective if we "stood up and be counted" together by demanding that the government honour their own agreement i.e. this is an excerpt from this coalition Governments document "The Coalition: our programme for government".

"We will phase out the default retirement age and hold a review to set the date at which the state pension age starts to rise to 66, although it will not be sooner than 2016 for men and 2020 for women. We will end the rules requiring compulsory annuitisation at 75". to revert back to this governments own Coalition agreement not to raise the state pension age until 2016 for men and 2020 for women".
        Consequently I have started an epetition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/35190 calling for just that.
        We all know how effective 38 Degrees has been with their campaigning. The more of us who ask them to support this epetition (or better still start there own) will show the government it simply cannot keep breaking it's promises and jeopardising peoples retirement plans.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely concur, I have been watching my retirement age being pushed further and further away, and currently, since I was born in 1955, I don't think I will be officially retired until I am 68 - this is robbery. And I can't work out whether its because the victims are women, or pensioners, or both, but no one seems to be bothered.

• ChristineChristine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wrote to Cameron and Clegg after I received my letter recently telling me , because I was a woman born between April 1953 and Aprpril 1955 by pension age was being increased yet again to nearly 65. I am nearly 58 yrs 6 mths and stand little chance of making up the shortfall as I am currently unemployed. Cameron and Clegg got their correspondence Officers to reply to me only to tell me that my letter had been forwarded to the DWP for a reponse - the Cowards! They were the ones who instigated this increase not the DWP

• Chris DimuantesChris Dimuantes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just listened to news with politicians saying how unfair it is to take child benefit away from people earning 40k plus. No unfairness then when women in their mid 50's are robbed of thousands of pounds pension. Personally, it's buggered our retirement plans and the government couldn't give a damn. Labour don't seem too concerned either.

• GillianGillian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have received a letter this morning telling me that I will now not received my government pension until I am 66. As my retirement age was previously 60 I have calculated that the government have just taken £46,800 from me.

• Zoe BremerZoe Bremer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm afraid this is what becomes of unfair policies in the past. If women had always been treated exactly the same as men since state pensions were introduced by Lloyd George, we would not be in this mess. My message is therefore to fight all forms of sex discrimination.

• Bernice KirkBernice Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just received a letter stating that my new pension age is 65, therefore cannot retire until March 2018, instead of September 2013. I've contributed to National Insurance all my life for this to happen. So much for the government listening to reason and fairness. Everyone knows that sacrifices have to be made, but this unfairly targets one group of people who don't really have a voice and are at a vulnerable time of their lives. I supported other campaigns but it seems to me we have been forgotten.

• cascas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm 54 and can't now retire until 66. thats two age rises in a very short time.
        My husband, who is older than me and officially retired, is not well, but I still have to work and look after him. Some retirement!

• Hazel SwiftHazel Swift commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When i began paying my niational insurance it was on the premiise that I coudl retire at 60, I hav erasied two children and worked for approximately 38 years, and run a home laterally as a single parent. Who thinks it is alright ot change the ground rules when I hav every litel opportunity to save and increase my penison. If a private company changed it's ground rules so drastically they would be villified by the government.

Instead of taking of those who have payed into the system for years look at those who claim without ever paying a penny in please

Consider us hard working mums and other ladies who are once again beng abused

• jane westonjane weston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I quote from an email I received from Ros Altmann, the
        Director Genereal of Saga who has been campaigning on this issue:
        "I just wanted to keep you up to date following articles in the press over the weekend talking about a possible change of heart by the Government over its plans to raise state pension age. There is no definite news yet, so it is vital to keep up pressure on your MP but I am working hard to try to help the Government agree a compromise that will allow a fairer timetable for pension age increases in future, while not imposing big changes on people - especially women - without giving fair notice."
        If you want to join Ros in this great campaign please contact your MP as soon as possible to lobby them with your views...

• JudeJude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This government is like the last Tory government. They are taking money and resources away from the most vulnerable in society, and yet they can seemingly afford to update Trident missiles and other nuclear installations, which cost many, many billions of £

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base