I suggest a campaign about ...

Individuals or companies with a controlling interest in Newspapers should be tax resident in the UK.

Newspapers play a huge role in influencing public attitudes and government policy. A significant number of major titles are owned and/or controlled by individuals and companies that are either foreign nationals or are resident for tax purposes outside the UK. The vital role that newspapers have can be undermined by the business interests of these owners, while they enjoy the benefits of be domicied elswhere. As an example, we can look at the the press attention given to members of the House of Lords who were non-doms. These same papers carry significantly more influence than individual members of parliament, yet they operate under a totally different set of rules

156 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike GoganMike Gogan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • davedave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

anyone with commercial interests in britain should have to pay tax to our country. i am disgusted that the government dont close these offshore companies. did you know that bob geldof and bono both have their empires registered offshore including the houses they own, and avoid all sorts of taxes. this is scandalous. the lot of it.

• PHIL WHITFIELDPHIL WHITFIELD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To reduce the covert political influence of newspapers on public opinion & voters, it should be compulsory for all newspapers to publish in each copy the residential & tax status of their owners.

• Josephine BerganzaJosephine Berganza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Influencing on mass and avoiding any adverse consequences. We cannot let ourselves be controlled by individuals and groups who share none of our interests.

• Marlon JonesMarlon Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The media's degree of influence looks increasingly like a new form of colonialism, with empires controlled by individuals rather than nations. The least these figures can do is pay taxes.

• David KuunDavid Kuun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

External business interests should not be allowed to sway public attitudes or government policy

• anna lovattanna lovatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet again, the very important of media and information in this country is not really our own matter. This is a very important campaign. Please sign it everyone.

Thanks,

Anna

Feedback and Knowledge Base