I suggest a campaign about ...

An end to the flawed technology of wind "farms"

Wind "farm" technology is flawed and has been disproven. It's "popular" because the huge corporations make vast profits from the subsidies available.
If no other fact persuades you, our coldest spells of weather coincide with no or little wind and thus windfarms are redundant at times of peak demand - as happened in December.

1,501 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard GilbertRichard Gilbert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

620 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Duncan FoulkesDuncan Foulkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tell the thousands of people who demonstrated outside the National Assembly for Wales' Senedd in Cardiff today that windfarms merit the desecration of the Montgomeryshire Uplands. Let's come clean and admit that windfarms are an expensive folly that we the taxpayers are no longer prepared to subsidise. The only people that really benefit from these inefficient monstrosities are the developers who couldn't give a damn about the landscape they ruin. Montgomeryshire people are not prepared to sacrifice the beautiful countryside that has been entrusted to them by their ancestors. We are the current guardians and our kids will never forgjve us if they don't resist the Mid Wales Power Project with every means possible.

• Stuart OwenStuart Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Phil, the report you linked to states that renewables should come from many sources spread out over a wide area, but the Welsh Government state :-
        "We believe a small number of wind farms clustered in strategic areas is better than a large number of smaller wind farms across Wales”
        Who should I listen to?
        As you state, there's too much misinformation and Tan 8 should be reviewed.

• Tim ProctorTim Proctor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we had better leave this one to people who actually have the facts and not to populist debate with a large NIMBY content. To survive we need large amounts of energy. Off shore wind farms seem more sensible as a sailor I can vouch for the fact that the wind very rarely fails at sea.

• Phil DriscollPhil Driscoll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stuart, this is exactly the kind of misinformation I'm talking about. What you are implying is that the mid-wales wind farms operate 18% of the time, and by implication, produce no electricity for 82% of the time. I'd love to see the data to back this up. I can imagine that they might only produce peak output 18% of the time, but I'm sure it's misleading to say they produce nothing at all the rest of the time. See
        http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/publications/downloads/sinden05-dtiwindreport.pdf
        page 5 which states "In the UK, a typical wind turbine will generate some
        electricity for 80-85% of all hours in the year."

• Stuart OwenStuart Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the link Phil. I read the report and found a fact that was startlingly misleading, in that wind farms 'can' operate for 80-85% of the time. Mid Wales wind farms have been operating at closer on 18% of the time. That huge variation in calculated and actual output alone, should question the validity of using wind farms. Especially when plans exist to build 800 more turbines in the same area.

• Phil DriscollPhil Driscoll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In view of the extraordinary amount of unsubstantiated disinformation appearing on this thread, can I please encourage people to read the following report, 'Addressing public concerns about wind power'
        http://www.cse.org.uk/news/view/1535
        which tries to present the facts in a balanced manner, based on peer reviewed information sources.

• Mike CullenMike Cullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wind is shameful waste of money for something that is only,at best, 20% efficient. Whatever happened to Hydro? We are an island nation surrounded by water. Since the Moon was invented the sea has moved in and out every12 hours without fail you can almost set your watch to it. Forget wind,go water

• Carole O'ReillyCarole O'Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wind power causes mass destruction of our prime asset, the landscape, for derisory energy and no CO2 saving. Why are we continuing this madness? The enemies of our country are within. This is worse than China. Cumulatively the turbines will blanket our beautiful uplands like cloves stuck into a christingle orange - but 600 feet high. It's vandalism on a monstrous scale. Why isn't the Prince of Wales stopping this?

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everything positive I have read about wind turbines and thei effects on their surroundings do not outweigh their drawbacks. It seems most of the people in favor of wind turbines are the ones who haven't done much research on them or are benefiting financially from them.

• Sonya SmithSonya Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The wholescale destruction of this landscape and wildlife can’t be justified. Wind factories don’t work; they require conventional power station back up, blow least when needed most, generate more carbon than they save,blanket bog destruction increases flooding risk. Communities they engulf will be profoundly and adversely affected . Time and money spend pursuing this inefficient intermittent technology should be spent on researching methods that will really address our energy and global issues.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paul Taylor suggests we try "new technologies". Well, Denmark and Germany got there before us and are now finding out what a flawed technology it is.
        20% efficiency and next to none in winter when High pressure arrives along with -15.0C and no wind.
        Wind factories are over-hyped by those growing fat on the subsidies.
        We need wise politicians to pull the plug on this blind alley.

• Gareth ThomasGareth Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have only read the more recent comments here, but it is obvious that nobody really understands the true scale of what is being planned. It is not just the resulting massacre of the beautiful landscape, but also the mass disruption to local business' during the construction. The scale of what is being planned will gridlock the roads for years which will cause many business' to fold with many job losses (far more than any job creation that wind farms offer). People should look at the scale of the projects planned before offering illinformed comments.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paul Taylor - the fact that so may people are pushing forward with wind turbines despite the proven inefficiencies and harm it causes communities shows that they are the ones who need to reconsider their actions.

If it was required that homes and buildings install solar panels, we would all see a much better way to save on electric costs.

All these wind farms being put up at such a frenzied rate (many of them way too close to where people live which causes a large percentage of them physical harm) shows that it it is THEY who are narrow-minded.

Yes, keep researching ways to make these wind turbines efficient (as well as other methods of power generation) but for now, I think they way too many landowners and many politicians are pushing forward despite such obvious shortcomings is short-sighted and greedy.

• nigelnigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the whole of the UK economy worked at less than 20% efficiency 50% of the time and worse at times like wind power, the debt we are in at the moment would be peanuts compared to being bankrupt. Why are politicians so keen when it opposes any business ethics normally adopted? If wind power could replace all the nasties like coal and nuclear fair enough, but it's not you are still going to have conventional power stations. All that any supporters of wind power are going to do is line the pockets of politicians and corporate big wigs through subsidies what we the tax payer will fund because it cannot generate profit on that sort of efficiency, Get real people, scottish windfarms have been paid thousands to shut down when they have too much wind, who by? us.

Feedback and Knowledge Base