I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban "kettling". It is a clear infringement of a democratic right. Call it: Don't Put the Kettle On.

1,915 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    JanyaJanya shared a merged idea: Stop the police use of 'Kettling' tactics during protests and demonstrations.  ·   · 

425 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Juan Carlos PinedoJuan Carlos Pinedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know better, I do better. I learned today about kettling. English is not my first language, but Human Rights are universal, and I want to ban "kettling". Enough is enough.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent post by Dave H below. I couldn't agree more. Kettling has an entirely different purpose than to enforce the law. The arguments to sustain it are threadbare and increasingly indefensible.

• Dave HDave H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Detention without due legal process is "arbitrary detention" -- a tool most often used by repressive regimes to silence, punish or intimidate the opponents of the state. It undermines the most fundamental civil liberties and human rights, and has no place in a democratic society.

Police have, and have always had, the power of arrest. They have always had this option to apprehend lawbreakers, in-line with correct legal process. They have no 'need' to use the arbitrary-detention/false-imprisonment technique of 'kettling' to enforce the law -- their power of arrest is more than sufficient.

But 'kettling' is not used to enforce the law, despite the claims of its proponents. It is used to discourage dissent, to punish the act of protest, and to distract from the police force's inadequacies in enforcing the law fairly.

The widespread use of 'kettling' is a huge step backwards in a civilised society.

• derek amoryderek amory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

kettling is establishment intimidation taqctic to deter political demonstrations against the existing order. simple really

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Proven to be a pointless tactic time and time again, and holding people against their will and without charge is actually a crime; our police committing crime is not a good thing (end sarcasm).

• JulianJulian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kettling is pointless - use it on an angry mob and inflame them further; use it on a carefree group and watch them become an angry mob - and abusive. In particular it should never be used as punishment for attending a demonstration as it seemed to be on the student protests last year.

• Bexy Bexy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kettling is inhuman and against human rights. My sweet sweet niece was kettled tightly in the London Protest for hours without access to basics of the toilet, water or the ability to rest. Police horses running towards her without reason. Who the hell do the police think they are to do this to good citizens who have a legal right to protest.

• Frank JFrank J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would actually rather the police used water cannons than kettling! At least with water cannons if your not committing violence/don't want to get involved you can move out of the area. If you are kettled you have no choice but to remain.

Feedback and Knowledge Base