I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban "kettling". It is a clear infringement of a democratic right. Call it: Don't Put the Kettle On.

1,918 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    JanyaJanya shared a merged idea: Stop the police use of 'Kettling' tactics during protests and demonstrations.  ·   · 

425 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of comments, but some people seem to either forget to VOTE or to miss the 1, 2, 3 Votes buttons under the mail sign-in. You can always come back afterwards and VOTE!

• RayRay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not go gentle into the Con-Dem night; RAGE!,RAGE!, against the dying of the decent public services/welfare Light.

• RayRay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not go gentle into the Con-Dem night; RAGE!,RAGE!, against the dying of the decent public services/welfare Light.

Lots of comments, but some people seem to either forget to VOTE or to miss the 1, 2, 3 Votes buttons under the mail sign-in. You can always come back afterwards and VOTE!

• Paul CunliffePaul Cunliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Kettling" is a disgraceful tactic which is a real threat to peaceful protest. In my opinion, the Met Police purposely resort to this tactic to provoke a reaction from a minority of protesters to justify their heavy-handed tactics and baton-wielding thuggery. Sadly, The Met have no accountability for their actions and the IPCC is a pointless and spineless organisation that serves no purpose. Until that changes, the Met can continue to behave like a criminal organisation that is above the law.

Justice for Ian Tomlinson, Jean Charles de Menezes, Blair Peach and anybody else who has sadly lost their lives at the hand of this vile organisation.

• Eileen LewisEileen Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was 'kettled' on thye Poll Tax march and it was terrifying - police horses galloping towards us from both ends!

I believe in non-violent direction and that should work both ways.

We must challenge the way in which our civil liberties are being eroded!

• Rebeca AyreRebeca Ayre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kettling causes as much than it could possibly prevent. It criminalises anyone exercising their democratic rights.

• UkbudgetcutsUkbudgetcuts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Protesters need to make their voices heard. Kettling is undemocractic and simply angers people.

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kettling is against my civil rights. The Met Police should be sued, and kettling children! Shame on them.

• calumcalum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No one who has actually been in a police kettle would condone it. Apart from during the during the recent student protests I was contained twice, both in 2009. In my opinion, there first time we deserved it, but the second time (climate camp G20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t244-zEENSs) was completely disproportionate. The unwarranted and viscous assault against a peaceful protest was incredibly frightening. Turned me against the Met.

Its all been said here already. Enough is enough the younger generation are learning lessons about our police that will destroy any vestige of trust there might have been.

1 2 8 10 12 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base