I suggest a campaign about ...

HS2 - High Speed Rail Link. We dont need to spend £160m per mile

Costing over £160m per mile, the proposed HS2 High Speed Rail Link will not only help further bankrupt our country but will slash and scar our countryside, leaving a permanent reminder to our children of politics gone mad and a dynasty of greed of gargantuan proportions.

4,523 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joanne BarnesJoanne Barnes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1069 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill FBill F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government has cut back on education, armed forces, policing, council budgets and yesterday announced it wants to cut hospital beds by 10% to pay for the care of dementia patients yet it still wants to spend £33 billion on a high speed train.High speed 1 running between London and Kent was sold at a loss by this government for £2 billion to a Canadian insurance company. In April this year they borrowed £2 billion more than in April last year. There are far more important and pressing needs for the people of this country than a high speed train.Such projects (e.g. HS1)always overrun on timetable and cost, and if it is allowed to begin we are signing up to an open ended timetable of disruption to areas on the route and a financial black hole.

• GPFGPF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The link is a dreadful waste of public money, especially at a time of major economic distress. The existing railway network is underinvested and when the money is available it should be spent on improving what we already have. There is already sufficient capacity to meet future needs and this can be improved through further investment. HS2 is not something that the public have ever asked for or voted in favour of. It has been dreamt up by politicians and introduced to the public quite suddenly through the back door. It will cause incredible long term disruption to the areas in proximity of the route and will ultimately scar the landscape and create noise pollution in those areas. Apart from the obvious environmental impact of wrecking areas of outstanding natural beauty this project would result in more vehicles on the road during the rail distruption (e.g. when Euston station is rebuilt) and ultimately encourage more unnecessary travelling on half empty trains. Such projects (e.g. HS1)always overrun on timetable and cost, and if it is allowed to begin we are signing up to an open ended timetable of disruption to areas on the route and a financial black hole.

• ANN CRISPANN CRISP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THE LINK IS A COLLOSAL WASTE OF PUBLIC MONEY, IT WILL NOT SERVE THE AREA IT DEVASTATES. MORE JOURNEYS WILL BE REQUIRED IN ORDER TO ACCESS THE TRAINS AND THE PROJECTED NUMBERS OF THOSE WHO WILL BE USING THE SERVICE HAS BEEN OVERESTIMATED. WORKING PRACISES ARE CHANGING JOURNEYS AS SUGGESTED WILL BE LESS NECESSARY. THE DAMAGE TO THE COUNTRYSIDE WILL BE IRREPERABLE

• RobMacRobMac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can 38 degrees consider opening an Anti-HS2 campaign. In light of the new reports in the newspapers between 20th July- 31st July surely there is now a case. 21 ancient woodlands can't be wrong.

• David VickDavid Vick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The HS2 consultation is over but that does not mean we sit back and rest.
        Over the next few months the data will be analysed.
        We are expecting a decision from the Government towards the end of this year.
        If the decision is to proceed then the Government will embark upon the Environment Impact Assessment for HS2.
        This will be a huge body of work that will likely take us beyond the next General Election.

What should you do now? Write to your MP with your views on HS2.
        It is very important to get your family and friends around the UK to write to their MPs too. Whether you did the consultation or not, you should write to your MP.

Right click this link and open in a new tab. http://www.writetothem.com/
        This is a simple web site where you type in your postcode to find your local councillors, your MP and your MEPs.
        Click on the links you want and a page is opened as an online email for you to complete and send.
        You then will receive a verification email for you to confirm your wishes to send the letter.

Quick and very effective.

• david xerridavid xerri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why build. Basically this rail link is not needed for it's end purpose. Will the trains make any money. no! In a time when were all being told to use less energy the good old government goes and builds a Train that will force the price of electricity up so the public will end up paying and HS2's owners will become very rich. Will electricity be subsidised for the train?
        Why not modernise the existing line. The existing line is established.
        The damage and wholesale destruction of lives is unacceptable birds, bats, insects, humans are all part of the world and there lives should not be taken away by a greedy few hiding behind a false agenda.

• Stan MasonStan Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At £32 billion HS2 is flawed in both business and environmental cases. The forecast passnger numbera are over stated by 60% based on independent analysis, and HS2 will contribute to carbon emissions. Alternative, much less expensive ways are available to achieve increased capacity -the government's own proposal RP2 -is one of them, but the dept for Transport Minister Philip Hammond has chosen to ignore it, preferring to spend £200million of our money so far on HS2 publicity.
        Write to your MP and say you want HS2 stopped, with money saved being invested in health and social services 9so as people won't die wating the 18 weeks for treatment), and in policing and homeland security to proect us all.

• RobMacRobMac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we start any more campaigning against HS2, in light of the news articles after the consultation ?? I am concerned the pressure needs to be kept up. I think more people who are not local to the HS2 route need to get involved.

• RON BAGLEYRON BAGLEY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Cameron has had talks with the Chinese about them building the HS2 line. In view of the fact that it is not even decided that we should go ahead this is not the way to demonstrate how a democratic decision will be achieved. The Chinese are building High Speed railways it makes one wonder if they have examined the true impact on their country too especially this week when a tragic accident has taken place and many have lost their lives. Something as expensive as HS2 which will have massive impact on our tiny country needs to have proper examination.. I do not think that this expenditure will be justified just to cut 30 minutes off a journey to London from the Midlands. The cost of the journey i.e. ticket cost will have to be exhorbitant. The Channel Tunnel is barely making a profit after 20 years. I think far too many people are in fear of losing their jobs because of government cuts so I cannot at all see the justification to hand billions of cash for a grandiose scheme on a whim. If we are in such a parlous state we have to cut our coat according to our cloth.....simply.....we CANNOT IN ANY WAY AFFORD IT...WHETHER WE WANTED IT OR NOT

• lindalinda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

improve the current rail system and leave our lovely countryside alone

• Colin EptonColin Epton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that this country does need a high speed rail system. Current road and rail networks are becoming increasingly congested, an electrified railway is the cheapest, quickest and most enviromentally friendly way of moving large numbers of people from one end of the country to the other, Without good communications, more and more of the country's wealth will move to the South, leaving the North with a severe economic diadvantage.
        Some of the claims on enviromental damage are wildly exaggerated. Go and look at HS1, it is hardly a massive scar on the landscape, and where it passes through areas of outstanding natural beauty much of it is in a tunnel.
        Having said all that, I am not convinced that we need it right now. The country is in a mess financially, and we could spend far less money improving overcrowding on other lines first.
        I think the high speed line to the north is something that we will need to approach in the next decade, but It is probably best to concentrate on other things at the moment.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I live very close to the proposed route from Birmingham to the midlands.

• ireneirene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government has cut back on education, armed forces, policing, council budgets and yesterday announced it wants to cut hospital beds by 10% to pay for the care of dementia patients yet it still wants to spend £33 billion on a high speed train.High speed 1 running between London and Kent was sold at a loss by this government for £2 billion to a Canadian insurance company. In April this year they borrowed £2 billion more than in April last year. There are far more important and pressing needs for the people of this country than a high speed train. Irene

• JaneJane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This money would be better spent on improving the rest of the rail network. Commuting trains to Essex, Sussex etc all have more urgent needs. The consultation is a farce and there is a lack of information. We should not be spending this vast amount of money on a service that will be for the business elite. Trying to dangle a carrot to the people in the north is insulting. Minutes saved on a journey isn't going to change economical. growth. London will benefit the most (well apart from the people who lose their homes, businesses, communities, play areas AND the commuters in Euston who will no doubt have constant disruptions). HOW will the tube at Euston cope? It's already at breaking point during rush hour?

• Daniel May-MillerDaniel May-Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have voted, but for a specific reason: the money could be better spent on IMPROVING existing rail systems across the country.

• MoiraMoira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Invest in an equitable, sustainable future not in
        a gaping scar gouged out of the land which benefits none.

Feedback and Knowledge Base