I suggest a campaign about ...

HS2 - High Speed Rail Link. We dont need to spend £160m per mile

Costing over £160m per mile, the proposed HS2 High Speed Rail Link will not only help further bankrupt our country but will slash and scar our countryside, leaving a permanent reminder to our children of politics gone mad and a dynasty of greed of gargantuan proportions.

4,521 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joanne BarnesJoanne Barnes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1069 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andy LeeAndy Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this project is that the proponents will have long retired before anyone finds out that it has been a complete waste of money. If the Government needs major construction projects then there are many rail projects that can bring real benefits in a much shorter time scale

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the 21st century version of alchemy. The business case does not stack and has been prepared by the same Dept that created the franchise debacle on WCML. Whilst large infrastructure projects are often seen as a mechanism for driving economic growth the benefits (sic) from this particular scheme could be achieved by spending far less than the projected £30+ billion on other transport related schemes to reduce the bottlenecks on both WCML and the NE lines.

• Carol Carol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We already have a perfectly good transport system in the UK, I can get anywhere I need to already. I am a rail commuter and can get a seat every day into manchester. The devastation this will cause far outweighs the limited advantages. I hope and pray they will listen to what the people want and do not go through with this destructive project. Eight rivers diverted and 100,000 trees felled?!!! Why???!!!! Utter madness :-((

• StratfanStratfan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

20 th century idea for the 21st century
        To succeed we must not try to catch up but to be ahead of our global competitors
        We cannot afford to borrow 34 billion for this white elephant

• SpitewinterSpitewinter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When HS2 is due to be completed, there will be little need for the projected excessive need to travel - most business will be conducted via e-technology. Finally, people wishing to travel for pleasure simply won't be able to afford to do so.

Wow, this HS2 will be great, (not) as it will cut through the edge of our ex mining village that has steadily been improving itself as the local joke from the past 3 decades to what is now a decent place to live! It will also cut straight through our small industrial est that has succesfull firms employing local people, (thats helping the economy today & are now having second thoughts of investing here for the future if their premesis are to be demolished) decimate half the housing stock value, cut through young woodland areas planted in the wake of opencast mining, go straight through an area of land that is supposed to be having houses being buit on it within the next four years that was in turn going to bring with it the re-conection of an old canal to connect up to the national forest center. All this would be bringing long term & short term benefits to our local area/economy with private money! If they want to "help" the people of the north may I suggest keeping the hell away from us, or give us this money they keep telling us don't have to help us afford to improve our local railway from freight only back into passenger service into Leics!!!

• Ian BickertonIan Bickerton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make improvements on existing track, costs only 10's of millions and will save journey times from Birmingham to London bringing it within 10 minutes of the proposed high speed link. Why should all taxpayers invest in this project, many will never use and not be able to afford a ticket; this should be privately funded. That said, the project causes so much environmental damage it's better to wait until the new tunnelling technology as used on the new 7.5m London Underground links are ready to take on larger projects and put the majority of new track underground.
        Ian Bickerton CEng
        Cheltenham

• KevinTheTogKevinTheTog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Project is the BIGGEST peacetime project ever. It has the most propensity to damage Govt Classified Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB's) and will cost EVERY constituency in the country £51,000,000. I can think of many things that would benefit this country far more than this. Even worse it isn't even necessary! Why, because every argument for it has been disproven: the Judicial Reviews in Dec 12 forced HS2 Ltd to reveal what they had know all along, that at peak time WCML trans are ONLY 52% full. It certainly is NOT green and will NOT take many people off planes and onto trains. It is a Cameron/Osborne vanity project.

all that money could be spent on rectifying the problems in public transport at the moment or encouraging people to take the bus (of which are sparse in certain areas).. who is really going to benefit from this? Who are they trying to impress? At the end of the day I'm sure most commuters would appreciate extra carriage or even trains so they can have a seat and get from A-B as they normally do.
        I understand having to move with the times but honestly HS2 is rather drastic! ..especially for our little country! I don't believe its what we need right now, maybe when other problems have been stabilized it should be reviewed again. It would be a big investment if it failed.

What an utter waste of money which will undoubtedly result in extensive environmental impact for the sake of shaving minimal time of journey times. It's about time we started investing this sort of money into innovate green business in an attempt to become a global leader rather than hiding behind our oily security blanket!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

need to ask, China built high speed raiI link between Shanghai and Beijing, with 500 new build trains, new design tracks, a massive infrastructure overhaul, which cost £30bn, saves 6 hours of the 10hr journey. why does ours propsed cost stand at £32bn, which under tories we know ill increase to 3x that.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have asked my M.P., but no-one will say who exactly stands to gain from building HS2.
        One must suspect a lot of lies and snouts in the HS2 trough ?

• nsandersennsandersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> will slash and scar our countryside, leaving a permanent reminder

Sorry, but so does the M40, and a larger one at that. Did we have protests then?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No confidence in this government...................No experience, No clue !! Most GCSE students would know how to spend public money more wisely !!

• Andrew GreenAndrew Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Truly appalling waste of money. Solve the N/S? Spend £36bn, wait twenty years and then u can get to London a bit quicker? That will solve the North South divide? Its a con, a politicians vanity project which will cost every family in the UK £1500, will ensure even higher rail fares and will suck the transport budget dry stopping much more worthwhile projects for the next two decades!

• John I DaviesJohn I Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And even the HS2 Project report (written by the HS2 team) shows that the BCR (cost benefit ratio) is only 1.6 (£16 gained for every £10 spent) http://highspeedrail.dft.gov.uk/sites/highspeedrail.dft.gov.uk/files/hs2-economic-case.pdf
        This looks like a return on investment which is too close to unity - given the uncertainties - for a good engineering case. And the BCR improves if you put off the in service date. So why not spend some money on existing services and leave a final decision on HS2 till later?

• BeenPollBeenPoll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Development of HS2 will help to cut down aeroplane carbon emissions and aid the economic development of the Midlands and the North. Improved transport links encourage companies to move outside London and the South-East, distributing some of the wealth generated there. We need further enhancement of the rail infrastructure to accommodate future likely increased demand, so it may as well be high quality, high speed lines. It seems to me that those who live in that part of England that are all in favour of transport infrastructure improvements in and around London - HS1, Crossrail, DLR, Thameslink, new tube lines, etc., but are opposed to such spending elsewhere.

• Chris WellerChris Weller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We simply can t afford HS2 when there are many more pressing cases for the government to spend money, and thats assuming it has the £32Bn it needs in the first place. Maybe that is coming from the above inflation fare rises we have just witnessed!

Feedback and Knowledge Base