I suggest a campaign about ...

The coalition "are considering" assessing children in their DLA shake up.

In the DLA reform white paper they are "considering" reassessing disabled children, as well as adults. Not only do they want to cut the benefits bill by chucking of disabled adults they want to do the same to children. They have also sneeked in an item on carers allowance "they are looking at it" ie going to means test or abolish. In this proposal you also have the right to "ask" for an appeal. Not saying you will get an appeal, but you have the right to ask for one. Picking on the disabled and vulnerable is discusting.

2,495 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    crazymumcrazymum shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Andrew Patrick Longworth-DamesAndrew Patrick Longworth-Dames shared a merged idea: A campaign to stop the abolition of Disability Living Allowance - the measure of civilised society.  ·   · 
    Johnny ChattertonJohnny Chatterton responded  · 

We’re looking into a technical problem with the suggest a campaigns system.

Last night we merged this with another DLA campaign after being asked to by the people who had originally created the suggestions. This follows on from previous problems we had with merging campaigns.

Unfortunately last night there was a problem with the system and when we merged the campaigns thousands of votes were removed from the total.

I’m really sorry this happened. We’re looking into this and trying to sort it out.

586 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • petepete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"protect the bankers and their bonuses...slaughter the vulnerable"..This is OUR government at work.A govnmnt who lied to us,that we never voted in,and in coalition with a small bunch of u-turn backstabbing jokers who wanted a couple of bums on important seats.

• Jo 父 MarshJo 父 Marsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a heinous act, and one which should be stopped immediately. This is not the benefit anyone should be attempting to abolish. It has zero percent benefit fraud, therefore is not abused. DLA there for those who really do need it, and is very very difficult to claim in the first place. And this really is picking on those of whom many cannot stand up for themselves. This is reprehensible.

• Olivia MarchingtonOlivia Marchington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Confining people to a lifetime of house arrest is shameful and cruel, particularly when big businesses such as vodaphone are being let off from paying their taxes!

• Emma GEmma G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A disgraceful attack on the disabled. So much for compassionate Tories eh? They have about as much compassion as Pinochet having a bad day.

• nicky nicky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the way i look at it there are to many chiefs and not enough indians ....so cut the jobs at the top then we will save money and not take off the people who really need the help !!!

• nicky nicky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the way i look at it there are to many chiefs and not enough indians ....so cut the jobs at the top then we will save money and not take off the people who really need the help !!!

• Jack Martin HallettJack Martin Hallett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can't afford to lose my DLA money. We fall in the cracks where no benefit covers us except DLA. My wife earns too much money (still a pittance) for ESA, works too little hours for working tax credit. We would be a lot better off apart, but in trying to do the right thing we end up worse off. I'm worried once I finish uni that I wont be able to get a job and we'll have to survive on the one tiny income. DLA is the only money that I get and it pays for a whole host of things, increased energy bills, food, motability car, power wheelchair, medication, conferences so I can learn how to cope with my condition better, money to attend asperger social groups. I know that before receiving DLA I was socially isolated and couldn't even afford the basics, having to buy second hand cars that died within 9 months of buying them (bad credit rating/lack of access to finance). I am now able to get around more than ever, the improvement to my mental health and wellbeing has been tremendous. Without DLA I wouldn't be able to cope.

• Laurel WingfieldLaurel Wingfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone should support this. Chronic, incurable illness could happen to any of us, and any of us could end up needing this benefit. This is one more example of how the government are chipping away at our support systems, snipping off a little at a time, until one day, we need it...and find it's no longer there.

• Toni BurrowsToni Burrows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I implore the government not to abolish DLA. Ity would not be right and just! A civilised society should protect its most vulnerable citizens!

• therese o'hanlontherese o'hanlon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not cut DLA, it is vital to help the Disabled in this country, which includes children, its not right and its not fair........

• Elle @stilettowheels.co.ukElle @stilettowheels.co.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not believe the DLA reform proposal improves standards of living for those of us with disabilities; in fact, I think it detrimental and here's why:

Existing levels of fraudulent claims are acknowledged by the DWP to be negligible. The process of claiming is via a detailed document of 39 pages asking intimate personal questions with reference to GP, consultant and other therapists. How does the reform proposal improve detection of fraud?
        It doesn't.

The costs of rebranding from DLA to PIP are unnecessary – both are non means-tested allowances to help cover the additional costs of disability. PIP is no simpler or easier to understand than DLA. Why bother to change the name and incur rebranding costs?

Removing automatic entitlement for certain conditions and indefinite awards both increases costs – of examinations with clear outcomes – and misery – in dragging long-term disabled and seriously ill people through repeated examination processes and creates yet more psychological, physical and financial uncertainty for those already struggling with all of these. By all means verify conditions, on a fixed term basis, using GP’s, consultants and claimant statements and a ‘Change in status’ document but some conditions/illnesses are very clearly permanent and irreversible. isn't denying this is an expensive and cruel nonsense?

Taking account of aids and adaptations in assessment of conditions ignores the reality that DLA provides the finance to help pay for such aids and adaptations. Where is the logic in assessing ability with aids then removing the means of financing such aids? The idea of this allowance is to assess need and allow the individual to decide what they buy to assist themselves.

None of the government's intentions in renaming and reducing levels of DLA work to benefit genuinely disabled people and, indeed, are designed to make their lives more difficult. I do not believe they have a mandate from the public for this.

• LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although awarded DLA 'for life', I am almost certain that I will not qualify for the new PIP (or for ESA, the replacement for incapacity benefit). Not that my impairment or my access needs have changed, just that the government is determined to save money. When I lose DLA or equivalent, I will lose my accessible transport and my PAs which are key to my gradual return to work and to my being able to look after my eight-year old. (And when all that comes crashing down, I'm going to cost the state a whole lot more.) Most of the disabled people I know are afraid - for ourselves and for others around us. The negligence and inhumanity of these cuts defies belief.

• valval commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The depths this government are sinking to makes me want to vomit :(

• barry plimmerbarry plimmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bad enough to lose ones legs at work and then to be constantly labeled a scrounger by the media and constantly picked on by the government ,,....

Feedback and Knowledge Base