I suggest a campaign about ...

The coalition "are considering" assessing children in their DLA shake up.

In the DLA reform white paper they are "considering" reassessing disabled children, as well as adults. Not only do they want to cut the benefits bill by chucking of disabled adults they want to do the same to children. They have also sneeked in an item on carers allowance "they are looking at it" ie going to means test or abolish. In this proposal you also have the right to "ask" for an appeal. Not saying you will get an appeal, but you have the right to ask for one. Picking on the disabled and vulnerable is discusting.

2,496 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    crazymumcrazymum shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Andrew Patrick Longworth-DamesAndrew Patrick Longworth-Dames shared a merged idea: A campaign to stop the abolition of Disability Living Allowance - the measure of civilised society.  ·   · 
    Johnny ChattertonJohnny Chatterton responded  · 

We’re looking into a technical problem with the suggest a campaigns system.

Last night we merged this with another DLA campaign after being asked to by the people who had originally created the suggestions. This follows on from previous problems we had with merging campaigns.

Unfortunately last night there was a problem with the system and when we merged the campaigns thousands of votes were removed from the total.

I’m really sorry this happened. We’re looking into this and trying to sort it out.

586 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SuziSuzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Fibromyalgia/CFS/ME..I had my DLA (£18.95) stopped thanks to ATOS medical...who say i can look after myself? I cant walk without severe pain, icannot wash or dress myself..and definately cannot cook for myself. There are others even amputee's MS sufferers also being denied help. I now have to live on other peoples generousity..as i now have no income at all!I have now lost the will to even live, and are suicidal. Mr Cameron/Mr Clegg..you weill have mass suicides on your hands if you continue to allow Atos to lie about peoples disabilities in order to save you money. You forget..we too were once Tax payers. I worked damned hard all my adult life..to now be treated like dirt by my own government.I was once proud to say i was British..i now feel ashamed to even think iam british.A country is judged by how it treats its sick and needy...think on!!!!

• Disillusioned middle class parent of disabled adultDisillusioned middle class parent of disabled adult commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Cameron disabled experience is of a pre school child, I feel empathy for his loss, but he has had the easier route. Not having to see his child grow into adulthood with multiple disabilities and a society changing in a way that goes Back to pre Victorian principles of care. The sooner this government is out the better for disabled people.

• StephanieStephanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The benefits we are supposed to live on including our DLA is an appalingly small ammount for anybody to live on, we are not able to live well but just able to cope, how will we survive if the benefits are reduced?

• E.MyersE.Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To take this away from us is to make some of the most vulnerable even more vulnerable. I have worked all my working life even when times have been tough. I have payed my taxes and deserve to have the dignity to continue having a reasonable quality of life. The DLA means I can do this. I can use the DLA to pay for the things I can not do therefore giving me some independence to do the things I can.

• kerrykerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i find it UNBELIVABLE that they want to take this away from us, i suffer from a full range of conditions which leaves me practically housebound , and only been in reciept of DLA for a short while even though i have had ME for over 20yrs i tried my hardest not to claim and have been told by Many people that i have probably made myself worse due to that , i had to fight tooth and nail to be awarded it got turned down the 1st time (which i think they do as a rule to see if they can get away with it) got given the low rate care and high rate mobility and i had to appeal again as they said i could STILL do the things i couldn't . EVENTUALLY after i offered for my social worker to home video me in my day to day struggle i was FINALLY awarded the correct level of care , the impartial visiting GP who came said he did i PHYICAL exam of me which he didn't !! but my point is -is that we dont do this for an easy ride it takes EVERYTHING from us and is often Very humiliating , without this money i just wouldn't survive the little of life i do have . shame on them !!!!!!!!!

• Zara LockwoodZara Lockwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

okay I finally voted, getting people to take action on-line is as difficult as it is off-line sometimes! to other readers - you can sign in by clicking the facebook button then select the 3 votes button.

• King FrogKing Frog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many people commenting but not actually allocating votes. Look for the little voting box by the heading - top left hand corner.Please, it's the votes that count.

• Nicola ReissNicola Reiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have M.E. and haven't worked for 3 years. I get no benefits whatsoever - fortunately my family supports me. People with ME and other invisible illnesses have my full sympathy - the number of people who would fake such an illness are few; the majority of people wish to work and play an active role in society. Being unable to work is no fun at all.

• Mo StewartMo Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out of all claimants only 0.5% claims for DLA are bogus. It is the most secure of all benefits. The Atos Healthcare assessment is fataly flawed, copied from Unum Provident, who are banned in several states in USA and several countries worldwide so WHY do we use this in the UK?? Unum Provident are consultants with DWP for these benefit reforms. The DWP Decision Makers are unqualified junior civil servants, who are totally incapable of comprehending any medical evidence provided by claimants, the AH doctor is not allowed access to any medical history, so why does DWP invite info about additional evidence that will be totally ignored, as confirmed by recent WCA Harrington Review & the research report, Atos Healthcare or Disability Denial Factories: www.whywaitforever.com/dwpatosveterans.html. DLA is fine just the way it is, there is no reason to alter it at all apart from a desperate government trying to cut costs. However, claims in DLA reform consultation are totally unsubstantiated, which is very badly written. The closing date for the consultation was put back to the 18th yet the House of Commons is planning to discuss the reforms this week BEFORE the consultation has been correlated, so it's just one big paperwork exercise as it doesn't look like the government intend to consider all the reports.

• King FrogKing Frog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The DWP secretary Iain Duncan Smith finally admitted today that his department was “wagging their finger” and “stigmatising” people on benefits as committing fraud despite their innocence.
        This belated semi-apology came only a few weeks after Lord Freud from the same department wrote to Churches apologising for exaggerating the extent of benefit fraud.

• Carolyn BrownCarolyn Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This benefit is needed and works well as it is, Except for the fact that it's underclaimed therefore the government shouldn't abolish it! They should improve access to it.

• jennie Kjennie K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have ME and Fibromyalgia and depend on my DLA. I could not live without it and am definitely not a benefit cheat. I had to give up work 14 years ago, not by choice as I loved my job.

• lisalisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have me/cfs, depression and a degenerative back problem, i rec'd dla mobility for 3 years and now that i am housebound due to my condition the atos doc has declaired that i am fit and well and has submitted a medical reports to the tribunal to state this, even though during the medical all he did was ask questons and never physically examined me, must have had special glasses on. Without the money from the dla i can no longer afford to hire a carer for myself and the strain it is putting on my husband is unbearable. why don't the governement stop funding disasters and povery in other countries and start looking after its own, its this coallition that is destroying this country,

• bobbysbabe29bobbysbabe29 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have osteoarthritis and fybromyalgia i also suffer with depression and panic attacks..if the DLA is abolished i would become housebound completely...i have got high rate care and high rate mobility for almost 22 years...treat the disabled people in society as people and not as benefit cheats and liars..all we want is to be able to afford a decent life despite the pain our disibilities cause....

• Rosanne DerrettRosanne Derrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have ME/CFS and Borderline Personality Disorder. I had high rate mobility for 2 years and an ATOS doctor decided that I could walk fine so removed my entitlement. I am now in the appeals process and it has taken from the start of the claim until now 15 MONTHS to get to this point. All I have received is prevarication, lies and obstruction. I am treated as a criminal by the benefits system despite having worked until 3 years ago. All I want is to have a sense of balance in my life and enough money to pay for the care I NEED. Many others are in the same position as me and people are dying because of this biased system. Yes it is under claimed with many people having applied once, been turned down and failed to claim again. It is shameful to treat the weakest in society like this but until we all join together and revolt, we will continue to be trampled on.

• Sally BurgessSally Burgess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I may need it one day myself, but not only that, I worked in mental health for years and for most it can be vital.
        Bad times

Feedback and Knowledge Base