I suggest a campaign about ...

The coalition "are considering" assessing children in their DLA shake up.

In the DLA reform white paper they are "considering" reassessing disabled children, as well as adults. Not only do they want to cut the benefits bill by chucking of disabled adults they want to do the same to children. They have also sneeked in an item on carers allowance "they are looking at it" ie going to means test or abolish. In this proposal you also have the right to "ask" for an appeal. Not saying you will get an appeal, but you have the right to ask for one. Picking on the disabled and vulnerable is discusting.

2,494 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    crazymumcrazymum shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Andrew Patrick Longworth-DamesAndrew Patrick Longworth-Dames shared a merged idea: A campaign to stop the abolition of Disability Living Allowance - the measure of civilised society.  ·   · 
    Johnny ChattertonJohnny Chatterton responded  · 

We’re looking into a technical problem with the suggest a campaigns system.

Last night we merged this with another DLA campaign after being asked to by the people who had originally created the suggestions. This follows on from previous problems we had with merging campaigns.

Unfortunately last night there was a problem with the system and when we merged the campaigns thousands of votes were removed from the total.

I’m really sorry this happened. We’re looking into this and trying to sort it out.

585 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JanJan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can not believe the callous cruelty of these clueless Conservatives. Nor can I bear the spinelessness of their lily livered Liberal "chums".The Big Society? B*** S***. Picking on the weak and the vulnerable is so easy isn't it? Yet they are so terrified of asking their Banking friends for a few quid! How pathetic.....

• Teresa GodwinTeresa Godwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While recognising the need for the system to be looked at, the current scheme is flawed and will bring untold hardship on many people who are already suffering. This has been ill-thought out and must be halted.

• neil fossneil foss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Replacing DLA on political grounds as a cost cutting measure contravenes the DDA and the UN charter on disabled rights. It contravenes the governments own published advice on making disabled people feel part of society, stopping discrimination against disabled etc. etc. Where's the Impact Assessment? They must be stopped, they must be challenged by a judicial review.

• J-JonJ-Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government's conduct in this matter is disgraceful. Making assumptions about how many people legally classified as disabled are fit for work, before anybody's been tested, guarantees that a great many people who can't work are gonna be expected to. And basign ther assessment on 'what you can do' is vile also. With work as scarce as it is, how are disabled people meant to find jobs that fit what they alledgedly 'can do'? Especially given the time constraints that are goign to be implemented for those on JSA.
        The ConDems simply hate people who need support, and resent the thought of the rich having to pay out a tiny percentage of their massive wealth to allow the system to help the needy. The Tories and Lib Dems are parasites.

• Gary WilliamsGary Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I receive DLA and because of the mobility component am able to work. If it is stopped as it will be for me under P.I.P. elegibility I will have to give up work which means I pay no tax/N.I, receive benefits and also have my mortgage interest paid. Who thinks these schemes up? To save circa £200 a month it will cost over a thousand. And these people are in charge of the countries finances!

• Gary WilliamsGary Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I receive DLA and because of the mobility component am able to work. If it is stopped as it will be for me under P.I.P. elegibility I will have to give up work which means I pay no tax/N.I, receive benefits and also have my mortgage interest paid. Who thinks these schemes up? To save circa £200 a month it will cost over a thousand. And these people are in charge of the countries finances!

• mary andersonmary anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

stop this attack on dla ,, we are real people, not satistics,,
        but what do you expect from the eton boys club
        shame on you all

• mary andersonmary anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

stop this attack on dla ,, we are real people, not satistics,,
        but what do you expect from the eton boys club
        shame on you all

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I claim DLA and I am a taxpayer,a lot of us are.We are entitled to this benefit,get Phillip Green and Vodaphone to pay tax.

• Stephen BuddenStephen Budden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a totally blind person, DLA helps to fund the assistance I need to help me retain some independence.

• tipsytipsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been said that a country is judged by how its treats its sick and disabled, says a lot for this country doesn`t it.?

• FletcvFletcv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All these cuts are scaring the hell out of me. I still work but can no longer work full time. I need taxi's to get there and back. I can't pay my rent, my other half cannot afford to pay it for me. I need to claim DLA at the very least, but the whole process makes me feel sick. I have MS, anxiety and now hypertension. I'm 42. I'm not going to get better and suddenly become more mobile with less fatigue.

• NathalieSNathalieS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My disability (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) has turned my life upside down; now the Government wants to pull the rug from under me by abolishing my disability benefits. I have limited mobility and use my DLA for local public transport. My condition affects my temperature so I often need the heating on more often than others too. Disabled people need DLA to survive

• yawnyawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The disabled need DLA to continue so they can 'live' with their disability to a reasonable level. Mine is used to fund aids & equipment to use the kitchen, get me from a to b and indeed the roof over my head. I get colder than I used to therefore my utility bills are higher than norm and I have to eat a special diet due to gastric problems. Without the DLA I would have to say goodbye because I could not survive and at my age 59 plus disability couldnt cope with being destitue. DLA serves as more than financial security, its breadline living on the cheap and any new benefit to replace it can only mean reduced monies. Leave well alone.

• anuanu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The devil is in the detail of the Comprehensive Spending Review. The removal of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance for people living planned from October 2012 will further disable those disabled people who require residential accommodation and support.

The mobility component of people entering residential care will be cut when they have been resident for 28 days and is ‘justified’ by stating that they already lose the care component when they enter a care home and that when / if they are in hospital they don’t receive the mobility component Disability Living Allowance.

There is an implicit cost in having severe mobility issues; this cost is met in part by the mobility component of DLA. Those requiring residential care and support still need to be able to book taxis, or use their motability wheelchairs or vehicles to visit the shops, attend appointments or visit family & friends.

The removal of the mobility component of DLA will effectively deny people requiring residential care of this basic right.
        The care component stops because people move into residential care to be CARED FOR, the home will generally not provide a free taxi service wherever, whenever the person needs or wishes. If the mobility component of DLA is removed from people who require residential care and support it will literally condemn them to not being able to leave the home.

People already needing residential care and support will have their last shred of independence torn from them.

The treasury have calculated that this will save approximately £135m annually until 2015. This ‘saving’ is blatant theft from the vulnerable.

This isn’t in any sense being ‘all in this together’, this isn’t any kind of ‘Big Society’; this is wholesale, savage bullying of those who are not in a position to speak up for themselves; those who will become increasingly disenfranchised and shut away from society as a result of this brutal move.

• dxdx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at how cameron et al are now considering this, i would assert that cameron cynically used the loss of his son to make promises to parents about how well they would be protected, knowing FULL WELL he was planning to make massive cuts everywhere.
        Certain LAs are now using folk with disabilities to make a political point - that they cannot make cuts without affecting the most vulnerable.
        I dread to think what will happen. We have a genetic disease, affectig us all and it is frightening to think it will become harder to claim for the extra help we need.

• King FrogKing Frog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

9 out of 18 people on this page have NOT actually voted :o(
        Leaving a comment does NOT count as a vote.
        LITTLE BOX... TOP LEFT HAND CORNER... NEXT TO HEADING.... MAXIMUM 3 VOTES EACH..... PLEASE!

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please note: leaving a comment is not the same as voting. To vote, click on the vote button at the top-left. Thank you.

1 2 9 11 13 29 30

Feedback and Knowledge Base