I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,248 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

889 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cliff MelhuishCliff Melhuish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was on an FSRT yesterday on the wye, someone commented that a representitive of the usk and wye foundation had mentioned that some stretches of the Usk were no good for fishing and could be used year round for paddling, this must also be true of lots of other rivers in england. Dependant on levels, of course.

• Julian GloverJulian Glover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Access rights are really important. On a tiny, densely populated island such as ours (and especially in England) it is crucial that everyone who wants it can enjoy the freedoms of the countryside as long as it is a responsible way. Many commentators see the Scottish model as more inclusive and more workable, a world-leading example of how it should be done, and one that leads to little friction between land owners and users.

• Andrew RudgeAndrew Rudge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with gwen maka. Why should we put with abuse from those who only view the water from the bank and use the river as a rubbish tip. If you don't believe me come and take a look at the Severn once the fishing season reopens. Open the rivers to all.

• Doug Dew Doug Dew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please vote, If you don't have a number 1,2 or 3 next to your comment you haven't voted

• Sue EadesSue Eades commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that rivers should be open to responsible boaters, as well as other river users. They afford immensely pleasurable leisure-time opportunities and their use encourages people to be active in the outdoors and appreciate the natural world.

• gwen makagwen maka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's time us canoeists stopped being abused by the trout fishermen of wales and worked together - swimmers, fishermen, boaters should unite in our universal rights to our waters - for the price of a licence, not ridiculous fees for temporary ownership of a stretch of river to the exclusion of all else.

• JudyJudy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The waterways should be open for swimmers to enjoy responsibly and without the current uncertainty about their rights of access.

• Barbara WilliamsBarbara Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really important to clarify the law and bring it into line with Scotland. I love open water swimming and encourage others to join me but I need to be assured that it is legal.

• KerstinKerstin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Freedom cannot stop at waterways, and with the access rights should come clear labelling on swimmers' safety.

• PhillipaPhillipa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rivers are natural highways and should be open to responsible boaters. They afford immensely pleasurable leisure-time opportunities and their use encourages people to be active in the outdoors and appreciate the natural world.

1 2 6 8 10 44 45

Feedback and Knowledge Base