I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,248 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

889 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew RichardsonAndrew Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a country we are renowned for our natural and historical waterways and our extraordinary countryside and yet priviledge still dictates use and access..... lets reclaim our green and pleasant land !

• John StorrJohn Storr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current situation is ridiculous. Imagine if, to go to the shops, you had to negotiate an agreement with all property owners on route to get permission to travel the route.

• E.CurdE.Curd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is supposed to be a free country; lets have the same rights as Scotland - we are responsible people and will respect landowners property and not abuse this rights.

• Tom FrameTom Frame commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This country should follow the lead of every other country around the world and keep up with the times. I can understand the trepidation surrounding free access to our waterways but it has worked in so many other countries. I strongly believe that given better access to even 50% of our rivers (which would be over a 10-fold increase) then local tea rooms, pubs and other riverside conveniences would be benefited. Please help this country wake up to the potential that the country has to offer......many rivers might see more people traveling to visit our amazing waterways, rather than heading off to other countries simply because we cannot use our rivers.

• JACKIE ROBINSONJACKIE ROBINSON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rivers should be for the responsible and respectful enjoyment of all. Allowing everyone that closeness to nature and all she has to offer the swimmer, paddler, rower and fisher.

• SimonMWSimonMW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Marcus, you said "The English countryside isn't the soul property of thieving the Tories, Tory farmers or stuck-up golf course/bowling green owners"

I agree with you fully. Though I should add that it was a Labour MP, an avid fisherman called Martin Salter who has his grubby paws all over the omission of open access to rivers when the CROW act was being developed.

• idcidc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good to see a public right to use our rivers and waterways for swimming, unpowered craft and other recreational uses.

• Paul CunninghamPaul Cunningham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The rivers in England should become like public footpaths, with maybe a few exceptions, so that we the general public can enjoy them at all times of the year; and not just be the property of the rich few landowners.

• Graham HudsonGraham Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By law all rivers, the riverbed, and banks up to the ordinary high water mark are state owned, held in trust for the public for navigation. Given this fact it seems ludicrous to me that only a tiny percentage of this nations rivers are actually open to the public.

• Barrie DobsonBarrie Dobson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It isn't just the rich landowners. Access to the water/rivers is all too often denied by the clowns that work for Local Authorities.

Worcester City Council is one of the worst.

JBD

• mellmell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

access is the right for everybody to enjoy the waterways not just the rich landowners

• Eric DaviesEric Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like English access rights, including waterways, to mirror those that work so successfully in Scotland.

Feedback and Knowledge Base