I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,248 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

889 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • A B MesshamA B Messham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In these days of shrinking freedom I feel its essential for now and the future to improve rites to the countryside especially waterways

• matt fmatt f commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simon Barber, you have not yet voted,, confusing mystery, i know, most people are caught out by it, thinking they have voted when they have not.

Please try again!

• matt fmatt f commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Swimmer are welcome!, as are all people from all groups who wish to have greater access to the countryside

Only together can we turn this situation around for the benefit of the majority

• Simon BarberSimon Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Open water swimming should have the same rights as walking in open countryside. Away with litigation and hello to personal responsibility and enjoyment!

• Steve winterSteve winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As both a swimmer and kayaker I believe the access arrangements in this country need a damn good shake up. I don't believe I've ever hurt any fish in the above persuits, but I know I did when my brother in law tried to show me the excitement of flyfishing, I paid a small fortune to feel sick when I reeled in my first and only trout! Mind you it was great eating!

• paul paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does England have to live in the dark ages? What harm can a quiet little swim do to any English landowner?

• Annette Annette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

England and Wales need to catch up with Scotland. Wild swimming is fantastic exercise and fun. Boo to the nanny state, yay to personal responsiblity and considerate users of all water bodies.

• katekate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definately agree that open water swimming should be easier in England - we need more rights.

• GambatteGambatte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can’t wait till easter, the lake opens and 6am open water swimming before work starts :-)

• Chris AyrissChris Ayriss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outdoor swimming in rivers and lakes was the norm prior to the industrial revolution. Control of the working class saw swimmers chased out of open waters and confined to indoor swimming pools. I hope that the prejudice shown towards swimmers will soon be eradicated. http://hungouttodry.co.uk

• Doug Dew Doug Dew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, comments are great, and don't forget to vote... if don't have a number next to your name, you haven't voted... you can give up to three votes.

• GambatteGambatte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I neither fish or kayak now, although i did both in the past. As a kid I fished dawn till dusk during the summer break from school and later on, when I got a car, would shoot up and down the trent, looking for an unmatched peg.
        I never minded kayakers.
        As a kayaker, I’d always check where anglers were fishing – keep away from floats etc. I never had any problem with anglers. I did have problems with reps of angling clubs – till I contacted the waterways who issued my licence and was told the reps were talking garbage and to refer the reps on to themselves if I had any more problems.
        The lake where I swim is a watersports lake which allows fishing. It works there, with canoeists too, why not everywhere else?
        And BTW, I’ve also had the experience of being in a kayak and removing a dead owl from the water, still attached to the fishing line in turn attached to a branch. Location the River Don below the 3 step Weir, just above Oughtibridge.

Feedback and Knowledge Base