I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,160 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

879 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • katekate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definately agree that open water swimming should be easier in England - we need more rights.

• GambatteGambatte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can’t wait till easter, the lake opens and 6am open water swimming before work starts :-)

• Chris AyrissChris Ayriss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outdoor swimming in rivers and lakes was the norm prior to the industrial revolution. Control of the working class saw swimmers chased out of open waters and confined to indoor swimming pools. I hope that the prejudice shown towards swimmers will soon be eradicated. http://hungouttodry.co.uk

• Doug Dew Doug Dew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, comments are great, and don't forget to vote... if don't have a number next to your name, you haven't voted... you can give up to three votes.

I neither fish or kayak now, although i did both in the past. As a kid I fished dawn till dusk during the summer break from school and later on, when I got a car, would shoot up and down the trent, looking for an unmatched peg.
        I never minded kayakers.
        As a kayaker, I’d always check where anglers were fishing – keep away from floats etc. I never had any problem with anglers. I did have problems with reps of angling clubs – till I contacted the waterways who issued my licence and was told the reps were talking garbage and to refer the reps on to themselves if I had any more problems.
        The lake where I swim is a watersports lake which allows fishing. It works there, with canoeists too, why not everywhere else?
        And BTW, I’ve also had the experience of being in a kayak and removing a dead owl from the water, still attached to the fishing line in turn attached to a branch. Location the River Don below the 3 step Weir, just above Oughtibridge.

• Doug Dew Doug Dew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gambatte, we have had lots of input from outdoor swimmers, although the discussion has been dominated by canoeists who are in favour and anglers who are against. The campaign includes all land and water use for recreation by countryside users. As you know this works perfectly well in Scotland and will provide a marvelous and long overdue recreational resource for our young people as well as families and older folk. We want our young people outdoors immersed in sport and the open air

• boxoctosisboxoctosis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Living in one of the wettest parts of Britain (NE), it's frustrating that most of the waterways come with "do not swim" signs attached. E.g for the mighty Kielder Water, it's very much look but don't touch.

I see theres a lot of comment on here about canoeing and kayaking. I’m all for it, but personally I’d like to see access opened up for swimming.

• PaddyRPaddyR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"He called me a louse and said "Think of the grouse"
        Well i thought, but I still couldn't see
        Why all Kinder Scout and the moors roundabout
        Couldn't take both the poor grouse and me
        He said "All this land is my master's"
        At that I stood shaking my head
        No man has the right to own mountains
        Any more than the deep ocean bed"

or the riverbed.... or at least to stop people swimming down a nice river...in my opinion..

• John JordanJohn Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As with country side access that Tony Bliar organised (a hugely positive move) , rights of access to water are outdated and unfair. As a country full of waterways and lakes that are now mostly clean and safe, there is a ridiculously small number of places where one can legally enjoy the water.
        Given the focus on exercise and obesity, more is required to open up fun outdoor places to have fun while exercising. This is a positive campaign.

• Neil LeacyNeil Leacy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm all for it opening access to waterways in particular. The Scots have it right in many ways and we should take heed from the way they have handled requests for access.

• matt fmatt f commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Canoeing and Kayaking are good for your health!

They are low impact activities that can improve your aerobic fitness, strength and flexibility. Canoeing and kayaking can be done as a hobby, a competitive sport or as a fun activity on holidays

The australian government have recently endorsed this as part of their national plan to improve the nations health.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Canoeing_and_kayaking

Australia, of course have no such petty access issues and people are free to paddle rivers and lakes as they choose.

Responsible access works in yet another country.

• Big DougBig Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you believe that the Tories would ever back a bunch of freeloading parasites over legitimate land owners, you fools are even more deluded than I thought.

• William JOhnstonWilliam JOhnston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't vote for Cameron, but, while he's still in office, we might as well take advantage of the one or two things we actually agree on.

Feedback and Knowledge Base