I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,248 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

889 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People who wish to enjoy the countryside without fear of being intimidated, molested or attacked by powerful dogs, that the owners cannot be bothered to control, should be able to do so. Where I live there are many people who would like to enjoy the countryside but are afraid to do so for fear of attack by uncontrolled dogs. Simple legislation such as found in most European countries requiring dogs to be controlled on short leads when meeting people in public places would make a significant difference.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree - mountain bikers, runners, walkers, canoists/kayakers alike. We all want access to trails and waterways to fully enjoy our fabulous coutry.

1 more here - I'm a walker as well but the access is very heavily biased to walkers in this country - fair access for all on the same basis.

• Dan StringerDan Stringer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A vote here representing mountain bikers. Across England numerous mountain bike associations are fighting hard to protect and improve mountain bike access on our limited number of bridleways. Many of these bridleways are regularly surfaced taking away the fun and natural element of the ride. Greater access for all will allow all users to share our access network in harmony.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

River navigation access for all is an important historical right that should be acknowledged and supported.

Walkers have rights over open access land and the foreshore, and the legislation that enabled that, brought in a restriction against horses. The common law rights to ride on moors and the foreshore were swept away without most of the public being aware.

Responsible access for all should be allowed and also along all rights of way and unrecorded, unsurfaced lanes.

Our country is gradually becoming a "Walkers only" culture and our social history is being rewritten.

It doesn't work in Scotland. That's just more propaganda - it was imposed there. The idea that resources can be shared is only true under very special circumstances. You wouldn't have motorcycling on a golf course - fishing and canoes on narrow streams and rivers don't mix. The one destroys the other. And canoeists want it for nothing whilst anglers foot the fiscal bill and the environment takes the toll. NO!

• Jenny GilesJenny Giles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Walkers, canoeists, naturalists, kayakers, swimmers and even many anglers are happy to responsibly share rivers the world over. The idea that this wouldn't be workable in England and Wales is ludicrous.

• Jackie ForsytheJackie Forsythe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a time where UK residents are some of the fattest in Europe with a huge drain on the NHS and we are being encouraged to exercise and take part in sport.....combined with developing our sporting talent.....how can this marry with draconian restrictions on river use?

I have canoe in Europe and USA and find the access position in England puts us low down the list in terms of access, even dictatorships have a more liberal attitude!
        Philip

• Andy BiddulphAndy Biddulph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We already have rights of access to rivers under the 1472 Act for Wears & Fishgarths (details on andybiddulph.co.uk) The only thing stopping us is the unlawful actions of vested interests. The only reason they can get away with this is because there is no instrument of state for the protection of public rights. We, as individuals, can not even use the courts. Without a public rights commission accessible to all citizens we effectively have no public rights.

So our farm, with our sheep should be open to all with dogs, children and god knows what? We then have to ensure a working farm is ridiculously safe to avoid people with no common sense who will sue? So can I walk and sit in your lounge? Look in your bathroom as you bathe? Watch your children sleep? I thought not..... This is a horrendous idea

← Previous 1 3 4 5 44 45

Feedback and Knowledge Base