I suggest a campaign about ...

Access rights in England

Rights to access the English countryside, including waterways, should more closely resemble those of Scotland. The land should be free for all to enjoy and use responsibly, it works in Scotland, it can work min England too.

3,167 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard OpenshawRichard Openshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

880 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

River navigation access for all is an important historical right that should be acknowledged and supported.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Walkers have rights over open access land and the foreshore, and the legislation that enabled that, brought in a restriction against horses. The common law rights to ride on moors and the foreshore were swept away without most of the public being aware.

Responsible access for all should be allowed and also along all rights of way and unrecorded, unsurfaced lanes.

Our country is gradually becoming a "Walkers only" culture and our social history is being rewritten.

It doesn't work in Scotland. That's just more propaganda - it was imposed there. The idea that resources can be shared is only true under very special circumstances. You wouldn't have motorcycling on a golf course - fishing and canoes on narrow streams and rivers don't mix. The one destroys the other. And canoeists want it for nothing whilst anglers foot the fiscal bill and the environment takes the toll. NO!

• Jenny GilesJenny Giles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Walkers, canoeists, naturalists, kayakers, swimmers and even many anglers are happy to responsibly share rivers the world over. The idea that this wouldn't be workable in England and Wales is ludicrous.

• Jackie ForsytheJackie Forsythe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a time where UK residents are some of the fattest in Europe with a huge drain on the NHS and we are being encouraged to exercise and take part in sport.....combined with developing our sporting talent.....how can this marry with draconian restrictions on river use?

I have canoe in Europe and USA and find the access position in England puts us low down the list in terms of access, even dictatorships have a more liberal attitude!
        Philip

• Andy BiddulphAndy Biddulph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We already have rights of access to rivers under the 1472 Act for Wears & Fishgarths (details on andybiddulph.co.uk) The only thing stopping us is the unlawful actions of vested interests. The only reason they can get away with this is because there is no instrument of state for the protection of public rights. We, as individuals, can not even use the courts. Without a public rights commission accessible to all citizens we effectively have no public rights.

So our farm, with our sheep should be open to all with dogs, children and god knows what? We then have to ensure a working farm is ridiculously safe to avoid people with no common sense who will sue? So can I walk and sit in your lounge? Look in your bathroom as you bathe? Watch your children sleep? I thought not..... This is a horrendous idea

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm doing a little kayaking journey starting next April, to try to gain more public awareness of this issue & hopefully I might be able to get my local Tory MP in on it as well. (Wishful thinking probably.)
        Anyway, I'll be going around England, it will take about 3 months probably. A lot of it will be paddling, but the hardest part will be walking the Offa's Dyke long distance footpath, with a kayak on my back!
        I just feel like it's got to be done, as I'd like to see unrestricted public access to our rivers, at some point in my lifetime.
        I've done a blog, but it's not very good yet.
        http://paddleblogs.com/chops/2012/06/11/no-decent-paddling-yet-this-year-boooo/

• BigRolyBigRoly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anarcho-snorkelists, forward and seize the day! The waterways of Britain are yours!

• Stu Anderson, Ann AndersonStu Anderson, Ann Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a Scot who is resident in Letchworth for the last 13 years, and has canoed in several places around the world, (including a bit in England) I have just discovered via this website the unbelievably medieval restrictions on access to water in England. I hope we can do something to change this, and having just purchased a Sea Eagle fastrack 385 kayak which I can safely use despite some disability, I fully intend to use it with or without permission (in a sensible way).

• Dave CottrellDave Cottrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will win the right to paddle if we keep going, the Rambles won and now live alside the shooters with few problems. We will be able to live with the Anglers also. They have been privilaged in having exclusive use of the rivers for so long that they think it is right, it is not, rivers are a national asset and should be available to all. They are hanging on to a privilage esablished in an undemocratic era where money ruled, the world has changed and their views will have to change. WE WILL WIN.

• Kevin FalconerKevin Falconer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If access is available in the rest of the world, why don't we have it here. Scotland has the right idea.

• justinjustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES - All rivers should be accessible to canoeists etc. - you can't own moving water!!

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Only waterways that should be restricted are those where rare species breed/ need protection, and those that present significant man made Hazards (Certain Wiers) Dam Syphons etc. Alternative routes should be advised in these areas, All other water deep enough to allow passage should have a public right of unpowered navigation.
        manmade waters could have a licence requirement.

• John-Paul ShawJohn-Paul Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a historical right of access. The government need to clarify the situation to prevent commercial interests preventing us from exercising them.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 43 44

Feedback and Knowledge Base