I suggest a campaign about ...

Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,583 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fair Justice for AllFair Justice for All shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1507 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Susi SSusi S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be a mockery if the measures go through of what our justice system was built on!

• Barbara KerridgeBarbara Kerridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully support. The cuts will be devestating to the most vulnerable, and ares are being targeted towards those without a voice.

• Jo Delahunty QCJo Delahunty QC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This measure attacks the rights of those that need legal advice the most . They are the vulnerable, the disenfranchised, the least assertive , the least able to have a voice unless committed legal aid lawyers enable them to listen , learn and litigate when necessary to make themselves heard.

• Paul ProbynPaul Probyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another policy that will have a disproportionate impact on already disadvantaged groups.

• John WigginsJohn Wiggins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The proposals are to remove large areas of social welfare law such as debt, employment,housing and benefits from the scope of legal aid. All law centres and most free legal centres and large numbers of CAB's depend on this funding.Without they will close and1/2 million people each year will lose free legal help.The government has done an impact assessment that shows this is likely to discriminate against women,people from ethnic minorities and the disabled.

• James SavoryJames Savory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - rights that you cannot enforce for economic reasons are not rights - so this is removing the rights of anyone other than the rich.

• Mary CarolanMary Carolan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As usual government cuts affect the poor while the rich become richer.
        This cannot possibly be allowed to happen. In my opinion we already have a poor justice system let's not sit back and watch it slowly decline even more.

• David NeblettDavid Neblett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is vital that those with limited financial resources are not denied opportunities to pursue support and / or protection through legal means.

• Helen DollingHelen Dolling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is no surprise with a government intent on widening the division between the haves and have nots. Perhaps before we lose 'Legal Aid' we should make use of it to help us fight for funding for students, an efficient National Heath Service, mobility funding for the disabled (soon to be cut back) and all the other half-baked misinformed plans presently in action....still, at least I'm about to get a 32, really brilliant shiny, new, high speed trains racing through my village every hour.....apparently, I'm paying towards these rather than Legal Aid now.

This is no surprise with a government intent on widening the division between the haves and have nots. Perhaps before we lose 'Legal Aid' we should make use of it to help us fight for funding for students, an efficient National Heath Service, mobility funding for the disabled (soon to be cut back) and all the other half-baked misinformed plans presently in action....still, at least I'm about to get a 32, really brilliant shiny, new, high speed trains racing through my village every hour.....apparently, I'm paying towards these rather than Legal Aid now.

• Carol PlatteuwCarol Platteuw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone has a right of access to justice and that should not depend upon their ability to pay. The proposed reforms will affect the most vulnerable.
        If these cuts are allowed to go through many ordinary people will be denied access to justice. These are people who need to be able to challenge poor decision making by public bodies or seek the protection of legal remedies.
        Lack of public funding will mean that many more people will attempt to represent themselves in court. Such cases take much longer and will clog up the court system and ultimately cost more.
        Furthermore apart from the practical drawbacks there is a key principle at stake. The right to access to justice for all is a fundamental keystone of our democracy and no country can call itself civilised if it denies access to the legal process to its citizens as undoubtedly some of these cuts will do.

• Melissa Mostyn-ThomasMelissa Mostyn-Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This cannot be allowed to continue. It is bad enough that people with disabilities are having to experience benefit cuts without their parents having to lose out on potential clinical negligence claims as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base