I suggest a campaign about ...

Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,578 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fair Justice for AllFair Justice for All shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1506 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam FrostAdam Frost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like a no-brainer to me. We're supposed to be a democracy. Justice must be made available to all, when and where it's needed.

Surely it's a human right.

• Michael DonovanMichael Donovan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Justice is not free. It costs a lot of effort, time and money to sustain a free and just society. If you want to take the easy and cheap way... there are plenty of examples of governments around the world who have adopted this option: gays get hanged, adulterers get stoned... don't go there.

• Phil McGrathPhil McGrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And I thought the government was objecting to Dictatorships in the Middle East - they need to look closer to home!!!

• Jonathan WhybrowJonathan Whybrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cuts in the family law area will severely affect the ability of the more vulnerable family member to protect him/herself; and they will prevent many adults and children accessing remedies which would provide them with security and stability. Residence and contact orders, adoption and guardianship order will be rendered inaccessible to thousands of people. The result will be damaging to the physical, emotional and mental health of many families.

• Jula HughesJula Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am extremely concerned about the consequences of the proposals and the impact they will have on the most vulnerable in society.

• John TurnerJohn Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cuts will cause great harm to many very vulnerable members of society. They will not even operate to reduce overall costs to public funds. Legal aid practitioners ensure that cases are dealt with efficiently and expeditiously. They prevent a huge waste of resources in many ways. For example court time is saved by the narrowing down of issues prior to hearing. Reports by other agencies are kept to the minimum.
        Most importantly innocent people are not imrisoned or ordered to carry out expensive orders when they might very well have been convicted unjustly. The cuts will only operate to create costs elsewhere.

• Dr. Peter BendkowskiDr. Peter Bendkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without legal aid working correctly clients with learning disabilities will be severely disadvantaged in the family and criminal courts. Further, those with mental health problems will be incorrectly dealt with.

• Ruby SayedRuby Sayed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What ever happened to Justice!!.. and the protection of the the most vulnerable and disadvantaged?!?... This is ever so short-sighted of the Government and the long-term consequences will be disastrous!!

• chris williamschris williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without Legal Aid there is no access to the courts for people who are not millionaires. Without equal access to the courts the rule of law becomes meaningless. It means the rich and the powerful (including the state) can do what they like to you knowing that you cannot afford to take them to court. Getting rid of legal aid is the same as getting rid of the courts. Instead of "justice for all" it equates to "justice for some".

• Wendy HewstoneWendy Hewstone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The proposed cuts are so drastic and iniquitous and I am so concerned how many of our current and future clients will be unfairly disavantaged as a result

• Forida HakimForida Hakim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government needs to wake up and see what this will mean to the vulnerable and the chaos it will no doubt create!

• Forida HakimForida Hakim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government needs to wake up and see what this will mean to the vulnerable and the chaos it will no doubt create!

• Ruth KirbyRuth Kirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most vulnerable people in our society (damaged children and those about to be damaged) will be left without any effective representation. As will their parents.

• Hilarie CliffordHilarie Clifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Legal aid must remain to protect the vulnerable - mark of a civilized society - but perhaps we no longer are one....

• Yvonne CarlyleYvonne Carlyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that cuts are needed but as someone that has had to depend on legal aid, I can`t understands how someone can fight for their rights, if they don`t have the money to obtain legal advice or support, thought our complicated legal system. Children need a voice and these cuts will leave them and many other groups in our society in unacceptable and at time Intolerable situations.

• Asoke DuttaAsoke Dutta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Legal Aid is not a luxury, those who need this are often in a despararte situation.
        Legal aid gives a level playing field to those who would suffer an injustice because they lack resources to take advantage of the legal system that we have. The opportunity to take on the authorities who have plenty of money and facilities to take legal action would be denied to those who lack the resources to fight for their rights.
        Limiting this right would deny large number of people any chance they may have to take their cases on abuses they may have suffered from public bodies or where the family law could not be approached.
        I support the continuation of legal aid in its present form, Citizens Advice Bureaus do not get enough funding to take on additional cases as the government thinks. Legal aid solicitors are not fat cows, they already work on restricted budget.
        I hope that the Justice Secretay would think twice he before he restructures the Legal Aid system.

Feedback and Knowledge Base