I suggest a campaign about ...

Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,578 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fair Justice for AllFair Justice for All shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1506 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard HarrodRichard Harrod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The legal aid system is the only way of giving less well off people access to fairness. Why should law be available only to those who can afford it?

• Ronald Ronald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People need acsess to justice. There is little point in having laws if normal people are unable to enforce them. The governement is trying to encourage people to ryun their own casesbut this will result in more backlog in the courts as litigants in person actually cost more moneythan an effective legal aid system due to wated time resulting from unrealistic expectations.

• Jacky PeacockJacky Peacock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't the government see how short-sighted these cuts are. If people are left to suffer in poor housing conditions, running up debts while they try to heat their cold private rented home, and with no help to challenge the rejection of benefit claims, this will cost the public purse far more than is saved. Health costs, education, and unemployment to name but a few of the budgets that will be overspent. I mention the financial costs only because we have to take it as a given that this Governent doesn't give a damn about whether or not people can exercise their rights.

• Ann Cutting Ann Cutting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cuts imposed by this ideologically driven government will harm the most vulnerable people in the country; will support the bad employer; will leave people in mental hospitals without legal representation; will return victims of violence to the country that abused them; will leave women at the mercy of abusive partners.
        In a civilised society, it is the role of the State to protect the weak and vunerable, this is no longer a civilised society as evidenced by the destruction of legal aid provision.

• Dan WilkinsDan Wilkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a country that has always prided itself on justice, these cuts go way too deep. Legal Aid is not a sexy cause but it cuts to the heart of who we are as a society and it is important that politicians see this before it is too late. Once it is lost, it will never be regained.

• Sarver LalljeeSarver Lalljee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The removal of legal aid from most areas of social welfare law will mean that the poor and most vulnerable sections of society will have no access to justice. This is at a time when the government and local councils are cutting back on welfare benefits and services which will impact most severely on the poorest sections of the community. The need for advice will in fact be greater.

• phil mcleishphil mcleish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dave,

It's me, Phil.

I would be really impressed if you guys could take this on. I know no-one really thinks much of lawyers when they think of the welfare state, but without the poor being able to - at least occasionally - make the powerful obey the rules, they will become lazy, corrupt and complacent; unfairness and abuse of power will become more widespread and the poor and shat upon will become ever more cynical and apathetic, and social trust and the general health and resilience of our society will decline.

thanks Phil

Hi Dave,

It's me, Phil.

I would be really impressed if you guys could take this on. I know no-one really thinks much of lawyers when they think of the welfare state, but without the poor being able to - at least occasionally - make the powerful obey the rules, they will become lazy, corrupt and complacent; unfairness and abuse of power will become more widespread and the poor and shat upon will become ever more cynical and apathetic, and social trust and the general health and resilience of our society will decline.

thanks Phil

Hi Dave,

It's me, Phil.

thanks Phil

Hi Dave,

It's me, Phil.

thanks Phil

Hi Dave,

It's me, Phil.

thanks Phil

• thomas yaxleythomas yaxley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ironic really that the people proposing the cuts are those that wouldn't benefit from legal aid. I guess its a case of 'I'm alright Jack'.

• wilma morrisonwilma morrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the proposed legal aid cuts will severely restrict access to justice for the most vulneralbe and poor of our society - it is a cocktail of ignorance and arrogance

• JacquelineJacqueline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you BUSYBEE! EVEN ON THIS PAGE 11 PEOPLE HAVE LEFT COMMENTS AND NOT VOTED.

PLEASE CLICK ON THE RIGHT HAND CORNER (WHERE THE NO. 3 IS). SO MANY WASTED VOTES!

WHAT A SHAME! THANK YOU!

• Bruce S BebingtonBruce S Bebington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not say there should be no cuts at all because the justice expenditure has to bear its share and some cut in state expenditure would be wise to recoup from the credit crunch. However these proposals provide no assistance for people facing uncontrollable debt, the denial of basicwelfare benefits and the sack from bad employers etc. These proposals strike against the principle of equality for the vulnerable, the poor and those dispossessed of their rights. These savings should either be deleted from government cuts or the money made up by more cuts elsewhere.

Feedback and Knowledge Base