I suggest a campaign about ...

Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,583 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fair Justice for AllFair Justice for All shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1507 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Barbara GuestBarbara Guest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The removal of legal aid for advice and assistance in important areas of social welfare law will have devastating consequences for some of the most vulnerable people in our communities. This is happening at the same time as local authorities are cutting their in-house advice services and reducing their grants to the voluntary advice sector. It's an attack on justice!

• Jack NilsenJack Nilsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Access to legal help is a citizen's right - it should be restricted by the ability to pay!

• Jack NilsenJack Nilsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Access to legal help is a right of every citizen, it should not be restricted by the ability to pay!

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This legislation represents a further attack on and erosion of Legal Aid which will deprive ordinary citizens of the right to secure access to the means to achieve justice.

• Ian ThrillingIan Thrilling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a solicitor working for vulnerable people, I strongly believe the planned cuts to legal aid undermine the principle of fair and equal access to justice for all. What should be cut is the unnecessary complexity of the vast majority of our legislation.

• JacquelineJacqueline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE MAY I REMIND THAT POSTING COMMENTS IS NOT VOTING. YOU NEED TO PRESS 'VOTE' UP ON THE LEFT HAND CORNER AND LEAVE YOUR 3 VOTES. THANKS!

• Liam KreibichLiam Kreibich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't say more than Margret and Osarumen, who are colleagues of mine, said below. Short term gain, long term costs - financially and socially. Do not cut legal aid.

• Margret ChristieMargret Christie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government's assumption that CABs and other voluntary organisations will be able to provide adequate advice and assistance using volunteers who can only expect to be minimally trained, and may each be available for one day or less per week is deluded. The effect of removing legal aid funding will be to remove the rights of vulnerable people to legal advice and support at times when they are in fact most vulnerable. The result will be horrifying, and the current undercurrents in the market suggesting a rapid rise in repossessions and homelessness will come to reality far more quickly than any of us wish to consider.
        The short term gain will be followed by long term costs which will far outstrip the funds saved
        THAT is why legal aid funding was put in place in the first place.

• osarumen ugiagbeosarumen ugiagbe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How on earth can you jusitfy cutting a service which helps the most vulnerable people in society. There is clearly a lot of anger at the way sections of society are being treated. The government have no concept of what life is like for these people and the impact cutting this service will have

• Lynn EvansLynn Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cutting legal aid will deny the most vulnerable people living in local communities access to their rights and justice. Local law centres and CABs will be forced to close - these invaluable resources are likely to be lost for ever.

• alice twaitealice twaite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The serious problems for some of the most deprived people in our society will cause serious problems for the rest of our society as recent event so clearly show. We are interconnected.

• Bob ChapmanBob Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Legal Aid is a much under-rated cornerstone of the welfare state - the current proposals to cut expenditure will cause serious problems for some of the most deprived people in our society.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people have difficult legal issues to be sorted out FAIRLY, but some of them cannot afford legal assistance on their own expenses. If such important achievement of British Society as Legal Aid will be not be available any more for poorer people, than FAIRNESS, as one of most important values of British Society will not exist anymore too. We shouldn't let it happened. Please, do your bits in order to stop it-! Best Regards to ALL, Alex.

• geoff hillgeoff hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not a lawyer, but work with many individuals and groups who need, but cannot afford legal aid. There is no justice without a fair legal aid system

Feedback and Knowledge Base