I suggest a campaign about ...

Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,580 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fair Justice for AllFair Justice for All shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1506 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • George PapazoffGeorge Papazoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I comfirmed My like to be site by site with You.I do not like the HM'S Government design the legal aid to be off.I wait from 2009 the LSC/London Office Them Requst about my claim for legal aid.They comment to me that
        have dificults to find a Solicitor,who will like to fill in my claim form for Legal Aid.In fact a years before LSC deny for my case Legal Aid.I comfirmed I'm with You!!!

• geoff leegeoff lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For "certain kinds of case" read "most cases" To deny legal help for those in need of it in most of the categories is a disgrace.

• Mark ChamberlainMark Chamberlain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's very important that we fight this. What happens if you want to mount a legal case against a big, monied person/organisation? If this bill becomes an act, nothing. You won't be able to fight because, unless you can afford a solicitor's fees, you might as well drop the case.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why make cuts to legal aid when this wil only cause more burden on the legal profession. It is necessary ad counter productive.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cuts to legal aid will lead already disadvantaged individuals with no voice. It will lead to a 2-tier system where the rich will have access to justice and the poor will not. In the last 2 employment tribunals where I represented claimants pro bono, the employer was represented by counsel. Aggressive tactics were employed which, I am convinced, would have resulted in an unrepresented claimant giving up entirely valid and reasonable cases. Is this the future of the great British legal system?

Probably, soon to be ex-Law Centre worker!

• BUSY BEEBUSY BEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John Wiggins - 38 Degrees is a democratic campaign group. I don't know whether you have looked at and/or participated in one or more of the other campaigns that 38 Degrees runs, but the NHS campaign was massive. "An amazing 300,000 of us have signed the Save our NHS petition so far. This is our chance to send the Nick Clegg a clear message and push him to stand up for the NHS." 5,729 votes cannot compete with 300,000! May I suggest that you participate in some of the other campaigns and that way you can spread the word on how important this campaign is to us. I've been involved in saving forests, NHS, Murdoch, Circus animals and more. Please join us.

• John WigginsJohn Wiggins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does it take to get a campaign accepted? Some of the 7 campaigns accepted seem to have less than a 100 votes. This one has 5,729 and is about a crucial issue= the removal of justice from up to 750,000 people; a 77% cut for law centres and CAB. Vulnerable people to have represent themselves in the highest courts in the land in housing, debt, employment and benefits matters. Cuts that increase the deficit rather than reducing it.

• j a smithj a smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cutting legal aid will cause even more problems for people who cannot afford solicitors, and people who need legal help to get problems sorted. Yet again it means only the rich will be able to afford legal help, leaving ordinary people the choice of putting up with problems or having to fork out even more money, when money is scarce enough anyway.

• Helen WilliamsHelen Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Peaceful protest march in Swansea to march against proposed legal aid cuts. March starts at 4pm on Friday 2nd September from Ty Nant, High Street, Swansea and will finish with a rally in Castle Gardens, Swansea at 4.30pm. Let's all march together - All welcome!!! For more information telephone 01792 484333

• cathaybcathayb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we are fighting the same campaign and have legal support.for more details see cathay birch on facebook

• Nicola WhelanNicola Whelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will result in the poor becoming more oppressed than ever if we, the public do not stand up for our rights against the bureaucratic decision makers of our government - don't forget to click on the button on the top left.

• michelle hanimichelle hani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please support this petition,against the cuts to legal aid,and dont forget click the vote on the top left.

• Emma FriedmannEmma Friedmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to fight to save our Human Rights!

These proposed cuts will destroy our society. The Law Society has put forward alternative cost saving measures but this has been ignored by the Ministry of Justice.

• PHILIP EDEYPHILIP EDEY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do not have many human rights left for us, we dont have many places to go when we need help, the government designs these cuts to give the people less chance of helping or defending themselves, legal aid is one of the last bastions that we should let go of, people placed in power should remember the mistakes of their own history and learn from it.

• Janet GurneyJanet Gurney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These services are desperately needed. Without them the most vulnerable are denied access to justice. The Legal Aid Budget needs to be increased not reduced further.

• Barbara GuestBarbara Guest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The removal of legal aid for advice and assistance in important areas of social welfare law will have devastating consequences for some of the most vulnerable people in our communities. This is happening at the same time as local authorities are cutting their in-house advice services and reducing their grants to the voluntary advice sector. It's an attack on justice!

Feedback and Knowledge Base