I suggest a campaign about ...

Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,583 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fair Justice for AllFair Justice for All shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1507 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sara BowenSara Bowen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous legal aid is not just used for criminals it is vital for many others to include assistance with housing debt family and many other matters. It is a useful tool to those who cannot fund the real fat cats pockets.

I work in a legal aid firm and I can tell you now there are most certainly no fat cats in our firm I could work in Tesco or in a factory and earn a lot more. But I continue to work there out of the care I have for those who cannot afford legal fees. When deciding whether I can take on a case I always need to ensure sufficient benefits and cannot spend public money unless I can justify it.

In the future I suggest you do your research before calling us fat cat lawyers. I have two degrees and get paid the same as those who have not done any degree. We do this job because we care not because of the money.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Legal Aid just lines big fat lawyers pockets at there 100 pounds per hour. If your guilty just plead it. You dont need legal aid then and you will get a lower sentence. Legal Aid should be scrapped.

I am researching the current changes in the legal aid system as part of my first year law degree and am appalled by the changes that are proposed to the system. Access to justice for the poorest people will be radically reduced and the savings are minimal, many lawyers are opting out of providing legal aid representation and I worry that this will mean that even those who manage to qualify will have a narrower road of representation available to them in a system which is already complicated and time consuming enough.

• William HarrisWilliam Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My case would not have been heard without legal aid. The case resulted in my being the first person in the UK to receive medical negligence compensation for the non-treatment of Lyme Disease. It took six years, there is something terribly wrong with a system that can take so long to reach a conclusion. It is not the cost of legal aid that is the problem but the process that is faulty. It allows lawyers to stretch out cases in return for legal aid guaranteed fees. Restricting legal aid will mean lawyers will be deterred from taking on cases like mine where there is no precedent.

• S PhillipsS Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The minimal savings do not justify the inevitable social hardship this ill-considered cut will cause.

• Pat JonesPat Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel this is a further restriction of justice to those of low income and as such grossly unfair

Super important !! I work in legal aid giving housing, benefit and debt advice. And the work that is done by all my colleagues makes real difference to peoples lives. Not just people on benefits as is the apparently common belief, but young people on low incomes, unable to get additional financial help via working tax credits, pensioners, people who are disabled, and young families with children. Not forgetting people who have recently lost their jobs, or recently experienced another massive life event. We can not take away help for people that need it the most WHEN they need it the most. It is foolish for the government to think that cutting Legal Aid will cut costs. The long terms costs to local authorities of re-homing families who have lost their homes, (when with legal advice, they most likely would be able to remain in their homes - much cheaper for the tax payer); to the National health service costs in dealing with the physiological 'fall out' that comes when people are about to lose their homes, or in debt (mental health issues for example). The financial losses in local communities as people have less money to spend in local shops and on local services due to benefits being cut, and, especially in rural areas, as people have to move away to find work. People, I am not the most eloquent of speakers, but I knew I had to leave a comment on an issue so important as this. We can make our voices be heard and we can make a stand against to ensure that we do not let this government take a step towards tearing down our human society.

• Malindi LovergroveMalindi Lovergrove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we must uphold human rights, legal aid should be available for all who need it especially those without financial means.

• LogieLogie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have rented out a house to the same lady for the last five years and when I got made redundant in April I had to give her notice to quit as I need to sell the house and have access to the small amount of equity that is in it. The original idea of having this investment wad to be able to suopport my children through university when/if the time comes. Herself and her partner are on far more money than me now and she also gets three loads of maintenance from the fathers if her children. For the last six months she has used legal aid to refuse to move out of my property and because we are in dispute she has also with held the rent. The Citizens Advice Solicitor has along with here abused this system for the financial gain they both have made. My redundancy payment has now been used by me paying a solicitor. When I asked why they were entitled to Legal Aid he said 'there is a special pot for tenants in dispute with landlords.' there was no dispute I just asked through the right channels and following the correct procedures for my house back. This women knows the system as I have been made aware she has done this 3 times before. This is certainly not a campaign I will be supporting and I will not donate to 38 degrees again.

• BridoBrido commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have respect for those in need and wish the legal aid system to be fair for all. Now I use the word "fair" as it is abused by some. My current partner is going through a messy divorce ...... her ex is on legal aid whilst he remains living in their property. He changed the locks so she could not gain access and harrassed her day and night.

He set out his stall early saying he would drag out the divorce as she would run out of money eventually !! He is true to his word and has been dragging out proceedings now for 3½ years !! As my partner is privately funded she is finding the financial burden a huge strain and close to deciding if it's economically viable to continue.

So why does the legal aid system bankroll an individual to bankrupt another ?? Complete waste of taxpayers money in this case but how often does it get highlighted ? There could have been many thousands saved in solicitors fee's not only from the public purse but also from my partners wages ( money that she will never get back ). Ironic that she works, earns a wage that goes on solicitors fee's and is taxed which helps pay for the legal aid system that is being used unfairly against her. Maybe she should stop working and then claim legal aid so she can continue to defend herself ?

3½ years and still no end in sight ....... we need to sort out this type of case to allow those that actually need legal aid would have access to the funds they deserve.

Rant over !

Feedback and Knowledge Base