I suggest a campaign about ...

Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,583 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fair Justice for AllFair Justice for All shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1507 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David MarshallDavid Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ill-considered cost-cutting which will deprive the poor of justice and will inevitably end up costing society more in the long run.

• Sara StephensSara Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Justice should be available to all, not just to the rich. The proposed reductions in scope and amendments to financial eligibility will mean that many people will be unable to obtain legal aid. The reductions in fees to providers will mean that many providers will not be able to continue to undertake publicly funded work. The Government have ignored the responses to the consultation and is fast tracking the bill. This is extremely concerning on many levels.

• Kathleen DawesKathleen Dawes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Legal aid should be free to those who can't afford it themselves, as the law should serve everyone equally, not just the rich.

• Jo RamsayJo Ramsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saw how many people in real need got helped via legal aid when I was a CAB advisor. Fair access to justice is important for family law.

• BUSY BEEBUSY BEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MPs got free legal aid for fiddling their expenses which is why it's being kept for fraud cases. However, it's going to be cut for medical negligence cases. The govt has invested in a large pharmaceutical company. If members of the public get free legal aid to take a company they have invested in to court and win, the companies share prices will go down. The govt is faced with a choice: either they get rid of free legal aid for medical negligence cases or they end 'UK TRADE & INDUSTRY' funding of a certain French pharmaceutical company. I think they call this a conflict of interest????

• Claudia GoughClaudia Gough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I oppose the cuts in Legal Aid and urge the government to reconsider their strategy in diminishing the national debt.

• Annie WrightAnnie Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The law is meaningless if those who need its protection are unable to access it. This is a cynical attack on the most vulnerable in society and, as Shami Chakrabati has pointed out, will enable the rich and powerful to act with impunity. Society as a whole suffers when the rule of law is weakened.

• Chris PeakChris Peak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a legal aid lawyer for 38 years I predict there will be no legal aid in 5 years time if this Bill goes through

• Alan LeaderAlan Leader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are we going to do about this Who going to stand up for social justice
        We need to start action now or it be too late

• Marian HurleMarian Hurle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The second reading of this Bill is on 29th June so there isn't much time. 10% cuts to Legal Aid are scheduled for October this year. This gives charities that provide Legal Aid services to vulnerable people no time to find other ways of funding them.
        Then next year debt, housing, benefits and housing will go out of scope having a massive impact on the services that charities such as CAB and Law Centres can provide. This isn't about fat cat solicitors, but about the poorest people in society who have no voice being walked all over. Please contact your MP and voice your outrage that this is quietly being allowed to happen.

• Jay SharmaJay Sharma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

During the debate on 21 June, Ken Clarke said that it costs each taxpayer £38 to maintain the Legal Aid system. How does that compare with the bank bailout, or cost over-runs in defence, IT, and many other government contracts? If you subscribe to "Which? Legal" it will cost you about £68. People who don't get advice and representation are likely to turn to social services and benefits. The misery caused to victims of clinical negligence, to families during divorce, benefits claimants, will be enormous. Oh, and don't get arrested, because your right to a solicitor at the police station will go, if this bill gets through. Use your vote now! The government wants to rush this bill though asap - 29 June is the next reading!

• Mal FergusonMal Ferguson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deliberate, targeted attack on access to justice. This has nothing to do with deficit reduction and everything to do with neo-Conservatives screwing the poor.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think cutting the legal aid to migrants and Refugees is an injustice to humanity

• JudithJudith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further to Busy Bee's post, everyone needs to know that the Justice Bill is likely to have its first reading in Parliament this week. Now is the time to contact your MP and voice your opposition to the cuts in Legal Aid. 38 Degrees has a nifty tool for finding phone numbers and email addresses of MP's at http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/callyourmp-nhs/.

• BUSY BEEBUSY BEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope you have all suggested or voted on this issue on the 'what should we do next page'. One person who raised this issue on the 'what should we do next page' suggested this issue, but only got 5 votes. Many of you haven't voted on this page. Furthermore, I hope you are all going to get active on whatever issue wins through this democratic voting system.

• Gilian PrattGilian Pratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, for gooness; sake what are you trying to do to the JUSTICE system. Do try to remember that justice is for everyone, rich and poor alike.

• Martine NicholsMartine Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JUSTICE FOR ALL IN OUR DEMOCRACY. PLEASE AMEND AND FOLLOW PRINCIPLES PROPOSED BY "SOUND OFF FOR JUSTICE" WHICH WILL SAVE £384 MILLION WITHOUT REMOVING SUPPORT

JUSTICE FOR ALL IN OUR DEMOCRACY. PLEASE AMEND AND FOLLOW PRINCIPLES PROPOSED BY "SOUND OFF FOR JUSTICE" WHICH WILL SAVE £384 MILLION WITHOUT REMOVING SUPPORT

Feedback and Knowledge Base