I suggest a campaign about ...

Limit politicians 'changing their minds' after we voted for them

There should be a legal limit on how many policies politicians can take a U-turn on after they've been voted into power (especially policies that formed a key part of their manifestos). The Lib-dems and the tuition fees are a classic example. We all appreciate that compromise is unavoidable sometimes, but how far should this be allowed to go (even with a coalition government)? What is the point of voting for a party if they go in the opposite direction after they've been voted in? What is the point in elections or political parties at all? The voting public should not be cheated like this. It makes a mockery of democracy.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PFPF shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm afraid this idea is unworkable though with a very good basis that I fully agree upon. However, any policy U-turns (or J turns or any kind of main shift) can only be judged on the next election and that is how it should be. Politicians should be responsible in knowing what can and cannot be done so if we, the voters, think they lied or were not aware of the difficulty of implementing a policy then we should reply in the ballots. Only the electorate sticking to their guns can change this mentality.

• Jackie ConwayJackie Conway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree: what's the point of having a manifesto if it will just be ignored the minute a party gets into power? As it says above, the LibDems are a classic example regarding university tuition fees.

Feedback and Knowledge Base