I suggest a campaign about ...

protesting against the proposal to oblige the umployed to work for free

The Government wants to oblige the unemployed to work for free in the communities while cutting services. It is outrageous that the unemployed should supply services for free, it amounts to a modern form of 'slavery'. We need to speak loud against this proposal and we need to demand that community services are not scrapped and that they are properly resourced!

212 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    GiuseppeGiuseppe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew AsheAndrew Ashe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's an alternative idea, how about thosed claiming job seekers allowance etc being expected to work for 3 8 hour shifts throught the week in order to qualify for their payments. These shifts would be spent doing work for public good, street cleaning, removal of graffiti etc thus allowing the public to gain some value for the money we all pay in taxes that is channelled into welfare......

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unite people, Pats e-petition that could affect us all, even the unemployed is still a current suggested campaign on here, vote for it if not already done so. Lost much already all, whats to lose going for this one, maybe make a small difference on here at last, but get to spread the word out there. Votes used up? can you reuse if not already voted on another campaign? In 7 months I've never had one returned to me!.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

l think l have a good question for whoever thought this up needs their heads checked. why should the tax payer pay for some other company to profit from the unemployed.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you seen John Harris' article in today's Guardian? Tesco and other hugely rich companies advertise for Job Seekers to apply for jobs like night shift. We are paying their job-seekers allowance, I think we should really deluge our MPs with protests that companies like Tesco should jump on this bandwagon which, I agree, looks like slavery, which I thought was illegal. It seems that parliament knows about this practice and allows it. What a waste of tax-payers money, and what a cheat. Let's boycott Tesco too.

Ros

• rodmodrodmod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thats Camerons big society for you,he wants us to work for nothing why dont the Parliamantarians do I month on the basic wagr.

so you would work for 30+ hours a week for £67 which is well under minimum wage while your taxes are used to pay companies a subsidy for 6 months with a supposed job at the end (similar schemes have also been run with the hope of an invisible job at the end, some ppl are even made to work nights too for under minimum wage)

• Una CUna C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it for free? Do you not get your benefits paid? Community services won't be scrapped if the unemployed worked within it fulfilling the positions. It is not slavery. Everyone needs to pull together in the present climate and work towards the future. There is so much to gain from helping the community instead of just taking. It also helps to combat longterm unemployment for those who have been on benefits for most of their lives. I just think that a wider verity of jobs/roles need to be offered to really help people back into employment.

l can vouch for that one Marcia, tho the lucky ones who got onto the scheme first get to sit at a computer for 6 hours a day doing learn direct courses which consist of multiple choice questions... thank god lm only doing this scheme till the 25th.... l might actually have some energy to look for an actual job rather than do one they created by laying off paid labourers.

• Marcia Simpson-JamesMarcia Simpson-James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is slavery and forced slave labour, David 'Bullingdon Club' Cameron and Idiot Duncan Smith have got to be complete eugenicists. These places that the unemployed are sent are cesspits and holding pens.

so your saying if you were given £65 per week you would work 30hours for it?

l have just been put on the forced work scheme, and let me tell you, those who said it isnt exclusively street cleaning were correct in part... those who got on the scheme first had the choice of doing learn direct courses or actual work.. obviously the first forced onto the scheme chose learning over work.. meaning ppl like me who may actually benefit from a qualification (l have none whatsoever) end up doing exactly as they stated...

just did my second day of cleaning up some of my local parks wearing some crappy high-vis vest which had the local damn jobcentres details on it... if that isnt naming and shaming l dont know what is, so far l feel pretty crappy especially when l see everyone dropping their litter and having a laugh at the few of us forced to clean up after them.

and from what lve been told at least in my local area that since the scheme has started theres more litter now than before as some of the locals seem to be amused at our expense so took it upon themselves to give us some work.

• HelenHelen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

they wouldn't be working for free, that's the point, they'd be getting paid for working instead of for nothing

• William A RichardsonWilliam A Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as they are paid a decent living minimum wage, say around £7 an hour, that's fine...but why stop at 9 hours or so, open it up to as much as 40 hours a week...in Norway it's a Job Education Training Guarantee for those up to 24 and Job Guarantee for those out of work for over 26 weeks, though I'd look at 2-4 weeks. Details here...

http://e1.newcastle.edu.au/coffee/job_guarantee/JobGuarantee.cfm

More general stuff here;

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/

http://moslereconomics.com/2009/01/23/proposal-for-the-uk/

• Gordon CraigGordon Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should we consolidate our votes to make them count and pick a campaign that best suits the "No Confidence/ General election vote?" I personally feel no confidence says it all and should then lead to a general election.

as my christmas job didnt last, lm back on the dole again (and l really do it hate it as l want to work), all l can say about previous years is labour didnt push for that kinda thing, most training schemes were just sitting at a computer, and one did have some choice on where to do said training.. back when l was 18 tho, training courses consisted of teamwork training.. granted it was pretty fun but for the 6months we didnt do one bit of job search, all they did was take us swimming, paintballing, and other non work stuff (however this scheme wasnt subsidised by the government which l guess is some consolation, so labour was nowhere near as harsh as today)

in any case, lm about to go on a forced work scheme, and as far as lve been told there is some choice, but there is some quota to fill.. basically they have to put so many into training and so many into actual work experience, but it seems all training spaces are taken up.. so my only choice is the work experience.. l have no problem with working enough to earn my weekly benefit but l dislike the idea of working for nothing after working enough hours to cover the benefit.. whats more the only work left is working within refuse collection from what l have been told as everyone else has taken all the charity shop positions... all l can say is l completely despise the idea of forced work that gives nothing back.. and l mean that in the perspective of "anyone can litter pick and clean up refuse, however ppl who are having a hard time finding a job would benefit allot more from experience within sectors such as retail, warehousing, administration, etc..".

lm seeing allot of retail jobs around my area, but my main downfall and reason of being turned down is lack of experience, without the chance of experience in actual sectors that are looking for workers then its going to be hard for those like me who have little experience past manual handling in a working environment to get a job in other sectors.

(on a side note, as far as lm aware and told now forced work is mandatory for everyone, tho l am told that you only have to do it once and it only lasts 4 weeks... but lm guessing that will change soon as the ConDems realise they have cut too many services and use those scroungers as they tend to calls us as grunts to cover the shortage of the public workers they laid off until we get jobs)

• Disabled mum, Disabled kidDisabled mum, Disabled kid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Community work isn't exclusively confined to street sweeping; it includes things like volunteering in charity shops. And in case you didn't know, under NuLabour the unemployed were being forced into alleged 'training schemes' on penalty of loss of benefits which often did exactly the same work, only with the pretence of it 'training them for jobs'. In fact the schemes have for many, many years (since Thatch, in fact) been a way of both public and private employers getting free labour, and the number who got permanent work from them was a tiny, tiny fraction. We should demand an accounting for how many jobs have been lost to 'training placements'. And that if the unemployed are sent to do community work, that it be REALLY training them in skills for a job, and that the jobs be proved to exist.

"Community work is rewarding and the unemployed, and employed should grasp the chance with eagerness."

the difference between community work and this scheme is two different things, lm not saying the idea doesnt hold some merit.. however for someone who already has a job its "their choice" to take on extra responsibility and how much of their spare time is used, however for an unemployed person to be forced to work for free when they are supposed to be finding work when the government is cutting jobs left right and centre, how the hell are we supposed to feel good about ourselves when we are expected to work for free when we see everyone else walking home with a proper wage?

up till last year l was getting paid my worth putting food on your table (worked within farming) yet lm told through no fault of my own l have to clean up after everyone because the made the ppl redundant who originally did it? heh sounds like slave labour to me.

• ScattYCrafterScattYCrafter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry but people on JSA are not working for free. Work gives some self respect whatever the job. I always say thank you to road sweepers and cleaners who keep the place nice for us. We would soon notice if they weren't there. There is worth in every job and if no-one is doing it fro wahtever reason e.g. cut backs at least they can feel proud of doing a job to clean up graffiti or monitor a childrens park so they are safe etc.
        seems Terry wrote in a similar vein but put it much better. I didn;' read nay comments before writing this till I was ready to post it..

• TerryTerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it slavery for the Unemployed to do community work but not everyone else already doing community work usually in addition to being employed? If an unemployed person is unwilling to even take part in a scheme to get them used to working again then they obviously are not serious about ever working and the threat of loss of income may push those that would otherwise remain most of their lives unemployed. Community work is rewarding and the unemployed, and employed should grasp the chance with eagerness.

• Verity SmartVerity Smart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forced (compulsory) labour through threat of loss of income is in violation of article 4 of the ECHR and section 71 of the coroners and justice act 2009. So this new proposal should be thrown out without question!

Feedback and Knowledge Base