I suggest a campaign about ...

Make Vodafone pay their tax bills!

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-protest-works-just-look-at-the-proof-2119310.html

Read this article. Vodafone owe the taxpayer about £6bn...until everyone's favour Chancellor decided to cancel the outstanding tax bill. A few days later, he was off to India promoting Vodafone.

We're all in it together, eh George?

282 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nate P. BarkerNate P. Barker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Johnny ChattertonJohnny Chatterton responded  · 

Hi everyone, this is a really interesting idea. We’re already running a “Crack down on Tax Dodgers” campaign (see here http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/taxdodgers) and area also focussing on George Osborne who has avoided an estimated £1.6 of tax (see here http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/osborne-pay-your-taxes).

I marked this as under review as it might be something we could use in future campaigns.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Johnny

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Renato RodriguesRenato Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is extremely important, because the UK is the world center of Finance, because the UK is responsible for an enormous share of tax dodging and tax havens like the City, the Crown dependancies and the Channel Islands. In my opinion, any politician is powerless in the face of these Corporations without our pressure. Imagine what could be paid for with all these billions.

It can start with Vodafone, carry on to Boots, Amazon, Apple, etc, etc. Let's make this happen

And there is the source of it all, the City of London with its medieval special status. This is my campaign - http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/3009596-cut-tax-evasion-reclaim-the-city-of-london

• John I DaviesJohn I Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A better Idea? I believe there is an almost perfect soft target for this campaign - Amazon. Here is why -
        - Amazon is a major tax dodger
        - a pledge "I won't use Amazon until they pay their taxes" is all we need to campaign for – so its easy for 38 Degrees. Because its a retailer its easy to boycott. Boycotting Vodafone is much more difficult for its current users
        - All products available from Amazon are available elsewhere (unlike Google, for example) so avoiding it is only a minor inconvenience - making it uniquely vulnerable
        - Amazon is very big - if it can be frightened into defensive action then others will also react and we'll have the dodgers on the run
        I’d be happy to help the team set up such a campaign wherever I can

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

typical of big companies and the govt they SHOULD all pay tax like everyone else the idea of big business not paying tax is discusting to me and shows how greedy the rich really are.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have always believed we need to talk about and target Tax dodgers, for as long as I can remember the the ills of the UK have been blamed on the unemployed, single mothers, immigrants and benefit fraud. When Companies are paying as little as 2 to 3% Tax on profits at the same time help for the disabled being withdrawn due to cuts is scandalousness. Then to top it all the Chairmen of some of these Companies receive Knighthoods.

• GarburbGarburb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Run the campaign already! Make them pay their tax!
        Seriously, I'm this far from organising a company called "taxdodgersPLC" where I run everyone's finances thru a fake company and let the ordinary people dodge tax.
        I bet we'd see action from our shephards double quick if us sheeple started dodging tax...

• George pinnellGeorge pinnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps such companies, including board members, as well as individuals should not be given the prestige of regal recognition? Why should sportsmen represent our country if they are not prepared to pay their fair share of taxes?

• Brian McNeilBrian McNeil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to The Eye, I believed it was £7BN in tax evasion by Vodafone,.. One of the points prompting me to suggest a 'Boycott the Brands' campaign.

You can add to Vodafone's billions another two or three by HSBC.

And, the use of Channel islands tax-break legislation by the likes of Tesco. Set to become even more lucrative when the VAT hike comes in, and you pay the same price in-store, or ordering online.

Your average multinational corporation exhibits all the telltale behaviours of a psychopath; these are just the ones highlighted most recently. I'm sure wjen you start digging into the big accountancy firms, who donated thousands of man-hours to Tory financial planning, there's an even bigger can of worms.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too John. I would very much like to know the decision making process behind it so that I can understand how it is fair and in keeping with the spirit of the law. According to Private Eye (and if I remember correctly) the case had been going through the courts for quite some time before a surprise decision was made by HMRC's new boss to let Vodafone off, much to the chagrin of a number of his staff. It seems we don't want to upset business in these delicate economic times. Sacking people is OK though, because business is obviously more important than peoples lives.

• John SladeJohn Slade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tom I quite agree with you.I believe that no Company that includes Banks and any other Financial services or Privileged Individuals should avoid or evade Paying their Taxes in the UK.I believe that this should be considered fraud against the UK Economy

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It disgusts me the way big companies make their money and then shed their tax liabilities. So many people in Britain will be losing their jobs so the Govt can find £6bn of savings, why were Vodafone let off? We should have an enquiry at the very least to make sure this does not happen again. After all none of us will be let off our tax liabilities this year and we are people with lives and needs, not some faceless corporate entity only concerned with shareholders needs for profit.

Feedback and Knowledge Base