I suggest a campaign about ...

Protect Mobility Allowance for disabled adults from the coalition Government's cuts

One reduction included in the coalition Government's budget cuts last week was the removal of the mobility allowance part of Disability Living Allowance for adult disabled people living in residential care.

Without mobility payments, getting out of the house for even simple things like going to the library or GP will be impossible for some disabled people, and their quality of life will be severly affected, in exchange for a relatively tiny sum of money being saved.

This is part of the Chancellor's proposed budget cuts and is not yet law. So there is still time to try and make Parliament change their minds on this!

436 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    annaspivannaspiv shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cliffordclifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well anonymous you are not disabled the car is not free you forsake your monthly payment to have car you pay each month just the same as any other lease hire its ignorant bigoted people who pass comments without the facts that create more problems many of us including me have work related injuries that have left us disabled over the years i have paid ridiculous amounts of tax and ni so think before you say

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Mobility Scheme is a Farce. if a normal person wants a car, they buy what they can afford.
        So why because you are classed as disabled, do you automatically receive a new car ?
        Can some one please explain, because i do not understand it at all.
        Plus the mobility scheme is by a large extent FRAUDULENT, there are thousands of cars sold by dealers , fiddling the rules , just to get a sale, Whats wrong with TAXI's. And dont disabled people have friends who can help ? This is a system that like the NHS, Has got out of control.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disabled People Against Cuts : www.dpac.uk.net/

Some MP's have signed a letter to highlight how bad ATOS and other matters are relating to the sick and disabled. You can get involved by contacting your local MP.

Go now and get involved

Pats e-petition suggestion on here is still current, unite people as one & vote for it to raise it's profile on here if not already done so. it's 4months to run & 39,249 to date have signed. What's to lose, taken much already, give it another go, put aside any past issue. Check if not already voted for Pats e-petition if out of votes if you can reuse ones by taking off another campaign not running that you used votes for. In 7 months I have never received a vote back so many iIassume cannot vote unless reuse votes on anything else/new.

• Dr David John Holdsworth, M.A. Hon's PhDDr David John Holdsworth, M.A. Hon's PhD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the goverment goes ahead and lowers the allowances that theese people recive they would be making a nation of hermits they would never be able to get out and socialize with family or freinds.

Plus many of theese disabled pepole depend on their allowance to pay for the increases in every day circumstances like the increase in food/clothing/gas/electric/water rates/morgage interest rates/the cost of fuel to transport them to and from clubs ect?

The goverment is acting like robin hood in revers taking from those who can least afford it to line there own pockets discusting attitude by camron and co?
        Dictators via the back door there are alternative serlutions to the countries economic crises but they choose to ignour them.

sorry but more quilified to run the courtoes ecomany than Gorge Osborne but no nothing of politics?
        Dr David John Holdsworth M.A. Hon's PhD
        Doctor of Finance & Accounting (rtd)

• Deborah HamiltonDeborah Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with sufferers of prada willi syndrome, how will they get out to access the community?? Maybe the "Big Society" is only for "Big" People with Big Wallets. How low can they go? Shame on you for your ignorant arrogant ideas.

• DinoDino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First they came for the DLA
        Then they came for the ESA
        Then they sanction the JSA because no one will employus
        When we have no money they cannot take it so they make us homeless
        They do this because the government made us the enemy

• KarenKaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am disgusted that this proposal to remove Mobility Allowance from people that live in residential care was even thought of as the amount of money they are allowed would not even pay for a ministers meal .I am so fed up with people with disabilities being treated like charity cases instead of people with rights even if they are to ill to work they provide employment for carers and an industry that is involved in mobility needs . Living with a disability is hard enough and just making it through the day is work in itself .Each family pays enough tax to contribute back money to their own family members care , so in actual fact disabled people do not drain the countrys purse its just bad housekeeping by the government . I should know I an disabled myself .

• carol thornecarol thorne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have MS, my husband is my sole carer, we live on bebefits through necessity not choice. Without DLA we would have no life at all.

• Gordon CraigGordon Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should we consolidate our votes to make them count and pick a campaign that best suits the "No Confidence/ General election vote?" I personally feel no confidence says it all and should then lead to a general election.

We are in exactly the same situation as you Mrs P. Our son is totally dependent, without our specially adapted vehicle he would not be able to come home for the weekend. We also bought and paid for the vehicle, it cost an extra £10,000 to convert it! Some of our sons mobility component goes toward the conversion and some of it toward maintainance and diesel, without it we will no longer be able to afford to run it. I am totally shocked that this proposal is even being considered, our son, like many more, cannot speak out for himself - maybe that is why.

We are in exactly the same situation as you Mrs P. Our son is totally dependent, without our specially adapted vehicle he would not be able to come home for the weekend. We also bought and paid for the vehicle, it cost an extra £10,000 to convert it! Some of our sons mobility component goes toward the conversion and some of it toward maintainance and diesel, without it we will no longer be able to afford to run it. I am totally shocked that this proposal is even being considered, our son, like many more, cannot speak out for himself - maybe that is why.

• Michael and Jan CafferkeyMichael and Jan Cafferkey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Proposing removing DLA mobility component from people living in residential accommodation is nothing short of callous. Shame, and shame again on the government for wanting this.

• Mrs PMrs P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My severely disabled son cannot even sit unaided,without his wheelchair hence without his adapted vehicle bought and paid for by me how are either of us supposed to get around we use the allowance to feed it with petrol,insurance both components now also going up in price and to maintain the vehicle and keep it up to standard .Most residential units offer no outings at all so without our vehicle he would just sit there and rot but maybe this is what goverment has in mind a slow and painful death.

• Colin WhiteColin White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It show a complete lack of understanding of how people in this kind of accommodation actually live. The allowance is extremely important with regards individual independence. Some of the recipients have their own modified vehicles which are paid for by the allowance they must be maintained.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base