I suggest a campaign about ...

Don't let the Tories sell off our forests

This week Caroline Spelman is going to announce a plan to sell 150000 hectares of forest. This will allow many of our most incredible natural and green places to be handed over to developers. It will make a paltry 250 million and will never be replaced. We cannot let this happen.

229 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon CurtisSimon Curtis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    bobbledbobbled shared a merged idea: Raise money to buy forest from the government.  ·   · 
    Fanny-annFanny-ann shared a merged idea: Stop the government from selling our forests  ·   · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rhiannon ReesRhiannon Rees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may only be England a the moment, but a lot of the Welsh ones are also under threat as most of the land earmarked for Wind farm development is owned by the forestry AKA Welsh Assembly Government. Wind Farms are not green in more ways that one, but cutting down forests to build concrete hills is definitely not green!

• Mr. Wm. M. WoodMr. Wm. M. Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Forestry Commission administer little enough of our forests as it is. They have the expertise and the experience. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

• Gordon CraigGordon Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should we consolidate our votes to make them count and pick a campaign that best suits the "No Confidence/ General election vote?" I personally feel no confidence says it all and should then lead to a general election.

• lynnettelynnette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this overcrowded island of ours, it is patently obvious that more living space 'liebensraum' is required for etal who have no official right to be in this country where we the english taxpayers suffer for the consequences.
        This is only part of the picture if the forrests are sold off to the private sector for very greedy elitists in league with this current crass of a coalition government, however I may hasten to add that the former new labour government was driven by drivers' of a politically and morally corrupt gravy train who would if still holding the reigns of power probably in my opinion would put those train wheels in motion by transferring the forresty commision body into private enterprise hands where in its current context what is the point in having a ballot box when issues as paramount as the selling off 'our' the english peoples' woodlands/forrests what has stood the test of time only to be rubber stamped by so called politicians' who from the macro perspective are the ruthless speculators' who will stop at nothing to eradicate one of our national treasures where future generations' will be robbed of ths beauty and tranquility I and others have experienced and enjoying now.
        Finally : what next on the list, the 'english lake district'
        Remember this : the anagram for this 'lot' at Westminster is -
        Houses of Parliament is 'SHAMEFUL 'OPERATIONS' ' ?

• Lorraine EdwardsLorraine Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Sirs, This is a ludicrous idea. We have already lost an awful lot of our woodlands to developers. What will happen when it is all gone Cornwall is not as green as most people believe anymore not to speak of the rest of Britain. I dont want to see our wildlife threatened either. Wildlife is also a part of this world and not to be wiped out by human greed. I feel very strongly about this proposal and am asking you to please dont do it. You may say that sold woodlands will stay as woodlands BUT im afraid that you have all lost my trust. We need to create new woodlands and preserve what we already have. Listen to us people who are advising you on something that you will badly regret. It is our countryside not yours. I think maybe we could put YOUR homes up for sale, after all there are more of us than you. We do not want our woodlands and forests sold to anyone.

• CaptSpaceBatCaptSpaceBat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's plenty of unused urban, suburban, brownfield and - even! - greenbelt space that could be flogged off to developers before having to mortgage the nation's lungs, surely?

• SuitsSuits commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"They will be come our Amazon deforestation with big business cutting down ancient trees for money only and there will be no one to stop it."

What a load of Tosh - why have they not been cut down already? Forests need managing, and the good thing about them is that when you cut them down- you plant more trees to replace them. Its the circle of life. You don't blame Gaiea for forest fires that reduce vast hectaares of trees to ash - its part of a natural process.
        Cut your dreads and get that woolly beard out of your eyes. This is a great deal for the UK

• gillgill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good cause, I've signed the petition.

Wee note for 38% can you please make your campaign wording clearer. This campaign is for forests in England only and should really be worded this way.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to start scaremongering people into thinking forests in other parts of the British Isles were to be sold off when they weren't.

Cheers!

• Paul LewisPaul Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps you should re-submit this idea specifical as a suggestion for a 'write you MP' campaign (given that 36d already has a petition for this)?

• Fanny-annFanny-ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They will be come our Amazon deforestation with big business cutting down ancient trees for money only and there will be no one to stop it. It will be a sad day indeed these forests are our heritage to our children, they are the green lungs of our land. What if someone decides its a good place to put nuclear power plants because they are less inhabited than other places who would stop that if business rules

Feedback and Knowledge Base