I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop EU legislation wiping out ancient and effective traditional herbal medicinal cultures

It's serious and it's imminent. After April 2011 lots of herbs from traditional cultures (Chinese medicine, Ayurveda) will disappear unless we campaign hard. We have to stop EU legislation steam-rollering traditional medicinal cultures in Europe.

646 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sophie MiddletonSophie Middleton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

232 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • katrinakatrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as a pagan, herbs are an essential part of my practice. By law anything to do with religious ceremony and practice cannot be banned or removed, so therefore what they are doing is in fact illegal.

• Sarah CalderbankSarah Calderbank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so pleased we have the solidarity of such positive campaigning by organisations like ANH and now 38 Degrees.... its a hard journey processing it all and is a complete threat to many of our identities. There's a lot of us out there that care passionately about maintaining our right to diversity of choice. Lets make our voices heard like we did for the forests!

• Robert VerkerkRobert Verkerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for so many of you supporting our campaign at Alliance for Natural Health - and helping us to take the issues to the UK High Court. We're working hard on the case - and we're confident it gives us the best chance we have to reign in the anti-herbal madness!

• Maria KatraMaria Katra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They have come up with many ways to reduce the population on earth but this is the most absurd one...and the most obvious I think...we must react and fight back

• Chris CarterChris Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seriously violates my human rights to take responsibility for my own health. How can anyone justify allowing the population to ruin their health smoking & drinking but ban vitamins, minerals & herbs as detrimental to health

• Joanna WildJoanna Wild commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This ban is absurd. Where is our freedom of choice and what the hell next? Slowly and quietly creeping in taking more and more control and lining the already bulging pockets and profits of the big pharmaceutical companies.

• LesleyLesley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm getting sick and tired of Regulatory bodies who have no expert knowledge of what they are regulating on, listening to the advice of the industry with the most amount of money and lobbying power and using this information to base their laws. The 4th leading cause of death in the world is from adverse drug reactions. To the best of my knowledge, no deaths have been recorded from herbs or food supplements. Regulators, wake up and smell the peppermint tea!

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We must retain the right to choose. This world is turning into something out of a futuristic novel. Why must the state prevail over our individuality?

• NikkiDaviesNikkiDavies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot understand why they are trying to do this, when harmful drugs like tobacco stay legal. I guess money really does speak louder than words.

• Gem ElleGem Elle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nature itself has the ability to heal us through its own natural abundances. Why would we want swap this for chemicals ? We wouldn't. Herbal medicines have been used for thousands of years and today is the lifeline for many of us who believe in natural purpose-made healing not mass produced chemically based toxins. They not only help us heal but provide a means of income. It's outrageous that nature herself is banned. What next, water?

• Tamsyn CareyTamsyn Carey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Humans and animals have been using plants growing in nature to ease their suffering and cure their ailments for thousands of years. Nature has a great deal still to teach us. Plants with amazing curative and restorative properties are being destroyed before we can even benifit from them, especially in the amazon. We have a right to seek help and support for our bodies from traditional medicinal/healing practices. Do not presume to dictate to us or limit us to a purely pharmacutical approach. Whilst modern medicine has done many good things, our understanding of plants is still growing. Sometimes extractions or synthesised chemicals are less benificial as they miss the suble combination of elements in the original plant or are made too strong. Credit us with the capacity to make our own decisions. Allow us to continue to use plants and herbs if we so choose!

• MaryMary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone who has a major problem with detoxifying prescription & over the counter medicines, I rely heavily on "alternatives" Herbs HAVE a place in our lives & we should have the right to choose to keep them there.

• neilbdmneilbdm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree 100%. can you & Elizabeth Upton combine somehow? the vote is split as of now

• mark lawrencemark lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that's got to be right scam, I bet every pharma company is laughing right into the big wigs' pockets, what is it lately, ultimate freedom of choice clamp down or something

• JaneJane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe in the right to choose our medecines and how we want to treat our health problems. If people want to use herbal medecines they should be allowed to and thus should be able to access them from the health food shops as have been done in the past.
        Natural medecines have been used effectively in the UK for many years and the directive will take away some of our choices we have had in the past.
        The herbal medecines suit some people better than other medecines which often have a lot of side effects.

• CristinaCristina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we for once prioritize what is best for everyone instead of what a few can make loads of money on...

• Joanna WebberJoanna Webber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an Ayurvedic practitioner I feel very strongly about this issue and would love the collective energy if 38 Degrees to be put behind it : )

• EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To ban some natural herbs is an insult to God and mother Earth. Most, if not all, Pharmaceutical scientists and researchers have "closed" minds and so are unable to appreciate the subtle yet effective stimulants given from natural herbs to effect cures. Natural herbs cannot be patented and so this is why the pharmaceutical companies want them banned; there's no money in it for them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base