I suggest a campaign about ...

do something about junk mail

The possibilities for opting out of junk mail are limited (and it's your postman who has to try to remember which households have opted out). One of the reasons given in favour of the junk mail industry is that people like junk mail and are happy to receive it. In order to demonstrate whether this is really the case I suggest that we all try to survey our own street by asking people to keep all the junkmail that they were not happy to receive in a box over a specified period, e.g. one month. There would then be some evidence as to the volume being delivered and the willingness of people to receive it which could be used as a basis of a future campaign. Instead of junk mail being delivered by the post office if people genuinely like it they could collect it from places they often visit, e.g. petrol stations or supermarkets.

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    junkmailhaterjunkmailhater shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All my junk mail goes straight back into the post box.
        I didn't ask for it, and when I tried to opt out I was told that I then wouldn't get the council newspapers or similar.
        As far as I'm concerned I pay my taxes, and these newpapers are payed for out of those, therefore I should be able to receive them.
        A friend of mine who works for the post office, once told me that he used to get payed £3 or £4 per thousand for distributing leaflets, it meant extra weight in his sack, but he controlled what he delivered, and as he visited most houses on his walk, it was a bit extra in his pocket. The post office cottoned on to this and then "took over", they obviously realised that they could get the "extra" and made a bid for the leaflet distribution.
        This now means that persons that deliver the post now have a lot of extra weight, that is totally unnecessary as the post person now doesn't get the little extra they used to get, as they are on a wage that includes these deliveries!

Feedback and Knowledge Base