I suggest a campaign about ...

Media Bias

I would like a campaign on media bias due to the misrepresentation of the Scottish Government.
The BBC and all the Newspapers are reporting lies about the Scottish Government.
They are also, not reporting serious fraud and expence fiddling in the Labour party. They are trying to guarantee that Scotland will not be allowed a vote on independence. The BBC allowed the Scottish Government to be abused on a radio programme, where Baroness Deech said that the little pretendy Parliament can run off and be independent as we English are fed up supporting the benefit scroungers in Scotland.
If you wish I could send you countless documents and also a recorded copy of the programme in question.
To save time I would suggest that you visit a news site called newsnetscotland you will find everything you nedd there. I urge you to look at this as it is a serious breach of the Scottish human rights, who have been contacted.
I think it is serious as it could happen in any country in the UK.

1,283 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    michael loftusmichael loftus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Johnny ChattertonJohnny Chatterton responded  · 

Hello everyone. We have seen this campaign idea growing on the suggestions page, and we’re thinking about what the next steps should be at the moment. Please do keep on sharing any of your ideas or comments below.

558 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • June KnightJune Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you lot not got a Telly to watch? There is a new comment in my inbox every few seconds. Have I Got New For You is On. and I can go down to River Cottage murder the upper crust toffee nosed condescending inhabitant. Drown him in his own mill stream, hog roast and eat him for lunch and live in his house.

• simonsimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The BBC is grossly unfair to the scottish government. It shows a total biased slant towards the minority labour party. The BBC should be hauled over the coals for it.

• CWHCWH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The selection of 'news' items by the BBC is quite idiosyncratic and does not reflect the serious matters happening in Scotland. Their constant reporting of the Sheridan case as the headline item in their main evening bulletin on TV is a case in point (excuse the pun).

• DougallDougall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Broadcasting needs to become a devolved matter. Eliminate any reason why the BBC would have for not reporting the news in Scotland in a fair and mature manner.

• Henry10Henry10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good topic. There are countless examples of poor journalism in Scotland within the BBC. It's a shame, democracy in a country like this is run by the media. With the mainstream newspapers allowed to favour a political party one would have hoped the BBC could be a balance.

• N ConwayN Conway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The news being reported by the BBC does not represent what really is happening in the UK it is London biased reports from the likes of News 24 do not tell the viewer that the vast majority of the news items reported are about England only there is no mention of the policys in each of the different countries that make up the UK. The news reporting in Scotland is just as bad, the Glasgow based BBC is focused on central Scotland and when dealing with with politics they are pro Labour never mind the SNP not getting a fair hearing which is blatant neither do the Lib Dems or the Conservatives .

• rod macfarlanerod macfarlane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example of How the BBC in Scotland play it, is seen in Brian Taylors Blether with Brian political blog. read what he says, then compare and contrast with the video of First Ministers Question time on Democracy Live. You will get the picture!!!
        Brians Interepetation of the event is mildly dismissive of Alex Salmond,while making Ian Grays performance more able than it was. In no way does he mention that Alex Salmond completely turned the tables on Gray as per normal!

Considering that this sort of misrepresentation goes on Day and Daily from the BBC, I am only surprised it has taken so long for some people to twig!

• Tony DicksonTony Dickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been very obvious to me recently that the BBC have commenced a campaign to ensure that Labour wins the next Holyrood election in May. I hope that most people see through their bias reporting. I am becoming increasingly appalled that mine and all other U.K residents' TV licence fees are being utilised in such an obvious politically driven manner.

• PajasPajas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd just like to echo most of the comments previously made on this thread. The blatant lying, misrepresentation, lying-by-omission that goes on in the Scottish MSM in general and BBC Scotland in particular has turned this mild-mannered, political lightweight's stomach. Please let this state of affairs come to an end - we are not to wee, poor, stupid to achieve this !

• Alasdair BremnerAlasdair Bremner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just curious as to how many votes are required for 38 Degrees to run with this as an idea? Save the forests has 50 votes or am i missing something?

• Tom HastingsTom Hastings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Harry this forum is for the discussion of the campaign to raise a petition regarding biased BBC reporting. I know you are angry about Cameron's cavalier approach to Scotland as am I and others but this really is not the right place to discuss it. Please go to http://newsnetscotland.com where there is a discussion about this already happening.

• Harry ShanksHarry Shanks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fact is the Speaker has discretion to allow a supplementary where he considers it approrpiate. If you don't ASK you don't GET! Even asking for a supplementary would have been preferable to yesterday's slap in the face.

Even I could have anticipated that Cameron's response would be along those lines, he has responded in the same vein before, as has Goldie. All the more reason for the question to be framed in such a way as to cause maximum embarassment.

Angus Robertson is not a novice MP and he ought not to be handing it to Cameron on a plate every time he asks a question - which I am afraid is precisely what he IS doing and I have commented on this on other websites before.

Perhaps he needs to take some advice from Alex Salmond as to how to anticipate the likely response to your proposed question, adapt your question accordingly and thus gain maximum effect.

• gary donaldsongary donaldson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do STV not rise to this and offer a fairer alternative to the BBC. It would be a good chance to attract many viewers from the BBC.

• Robert LouisRobert Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gary,

The problem with the BBC in Scotland specifically is that it is state funded. With that state funding comes responsibilities to ensure fair, unbiased reporting.

• gary donaldsongary donaldson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice they often have the same stories and in the same order.
        Are they completely separate organisations?

• Robert LouisRobert Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gary

STV, is based in pacific Quay, same as BBC. The two buildings are just a hop skip and jump apart.

• rod macfarlanerod macfarlane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Harry, these are very obvious and correct questions. Unfortunately,no supplementary question allowed,the SNP have to go into a ballot in Westminster just to as ask One Question!

• bmc875bmc875 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Re Harry Shanks "did Angus Roberstson not have the opportunity to reply or ask a supplementary?"

Unfortunately at PMQs the PM can answer the question any way he/she wishes. Or in this case, not answer.

Gordon Brown used this technique often. John Mason (Ex SNP MP) once asked GB about Glasgow City Council leader Stephen Purcell and the PMs (or his staff) discussions with him. In response, the SNP got a damn good thrashing!

Feedback and Knowledge Base