Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    diggerdigger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a random sample of one so statistically insignificant: I've not had tetnus (Despite plenty of messy cuts/grazes), poliomyelitis, measles, hooping cough, small pox, hepatitus A, diphtheria, typhoid, or yellow fever despite travelling and working where all these afflicted some of the population... could it be that my vaccination against them worked or am I just lucky; I've not had any flu vaccines and as far as I know have never caught flu...though as my great uncle died of typhoid in Uganda in the 20's and an un-vaccinated family friend died of it three years ago in Kenya I reckon if Mr Gates or anyone else can help out the UN/WHO to fund programmes to give people a better chance of a healthy life all the better. Of cause letting nature take its course is an option see the 1918-20 flu epidemic but suspect allowing millions to continue to avoidably die smacks more of tacit eugentics... As for Mr Gates as eugenicist: I guess a different premise for his comment: History (British amongst others) suggests that if all your children survive to adulthood people tend to have smaller families - Europe now 1to 2 is the norm = population stability steady state. Again quite a nice idea with resources (from water and carbohydrates/grain staples, to rare earth minerals) stretched, limiting, to avoid a greater % of the worlds population having to get by on inadequate food rations, in poverty and if un-vaccinated - with the probability that they will die prematurely of some, if they are lucky relatively painless though most aren't, easily preventable disease. I thank God, Jenner, Balfour, the NHS, Proctor and Gamble and anyone else, that I live in a country that has protected me from such a range of horrendous illness/deaths and so think it only fair for the other 6billion residents of the Earth to have the same wonderful opportunity as I have had for good health into an old age.... How about increasing overseas aid to exceed Millennium Targets so the likes of Mr Gates doesn't have to step in where the "developed"/rich nations can't be bothered to?

• diggerdigger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

mike and paul,if vaccines are beneficial as you claim why has bill gates just announced that vaccination programmes can cut the world population by 15%(watch it on you tube)do you work for pharmacuetical companys or are you members of the eugenics movement and want 15% of the worlds people culled by vaccines you and your family and freinds could be in the 15%,like that would you?

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vaccination provides a thing called herd immunity for contagious diseases; It aims to stop not just the vaccinated individual getting a disease, the more that get vaccinated the less chance an individual will ever be exposed to the disease - but the entire population by denying the organism a habitat in which to survive and spread such as was successfully achieved by the smallpox vaccination programme . As for non contagious diseases such as tetanus that lives happily in our surrounding environment or meningitis that might living in your nose now... like the previous comment I fail to see what vaccination might be considered useless.... vaccinations confer immunity against a specific infection for a limited period or life - to possibly be useless the infective agent must be either extinct (Not even smallpox is extinct - 2+? lots are still stored) or not exist in which case who is going to develop and administer a vaccine????

• Paul WarrenPaul Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

such as? why on earth would anyone give a useless vaccination? except, maybe, a "complementary therapist" like a homeopathist.

Feedback and Knowledge Base