I suggest a campaign about ...

Health and safety at work.

The Coalition is reviewing Health and Safety legislation.
Maybe we should have a review of our own !
Often it seems as if the big multinationals are convicted repeatedly of heath and safety violations, sometimes in respect of fatal incidents, but the courts have little impact ( see www.hazards.org/corus ). Maybe 38 Degrees should campaign to highlight this very serious issue, which I believe most people are unaware of.

385 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick ONick O shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

202 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ian TelfordIan Telford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having experienced and suffered an industrial injury (which has left me with a permanent spinal condition) as a result of a negligent employer. I would welcome any review that could offer further worker protection through improved legislation and tighter control.

Unfortunately, this govt is only interested in 'cutting the red tape which stands in the way of improving business/profit'. These cuts will lead to more deaths, more injuries and more incidences of occupational ill health!

• Ian TaskerIan Tasker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Government is reaching new depths every day but every attack is on the right of workers, working class people and the vulnerable. These cuts will lead to more deaths, more injuries and more incidences of occupational ill health. Lord Young, their short lived adviser on health and safety, described health and safety as a "music hall joke". Whose laughing? , certainly not those who have lost loved ones, not those who have suffered serious injury sometime never to work again and not those who were negligently exposed to carcinogens such as, but not solely, asbestos. This is a sad society where the Government ignores the pain and suffering of those affected by the consequences of health and safety failures by rendering the HSE practically ineffective in their capacity to carry out proactive enforcement.

• paulpaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all have the right to return home from work safely , with all these staff reductions more pressure is put on other staff causing stress.How will cutting inspections reduce this.It is the usual look after big business by condem 's.We ahve to fight to prevent cuts in health and safety, to protect all workers.

• paulpaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all have the right to return home from work safely , with all these staff reductions more pressure is put on other staff causing stress.How will cutting inspections reduce this.It is the usual look after big business by condem 's.We ahve to fight to prevent cuts in health and safety, to protect all workers.

• stevesteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need strong enforcement of Health and Safety laws in the UK to keep us safe not a bosses charter to ignore them.

• RonnieRonnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Companies have long been ignoring H&S legislation with little or no hindrance from the courts. They have flagrantly disregarded RIDDOR by harassing people to come into work to prevent the need to report or they just ignore the need. Either way it is a breach of legislation and the Tories response is to let a right wing imbecile like Lord Young propose to extend reporting from 3to 7 days. Riveting stuff a great way to gain compliance. Or is it called reducing the burden? To me it's called breaking the law.

• TerryTerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Helth & Safety matters, just ask anyone who has been seriously hurt or the families who have lost loved ones because of Business or company greed or neglect. They should look at the the benifits if investing in Health & Safety for the long term, less absenteeism, improved morale, more productivity and less damage to health.

• TerryTerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Helth & Safety matters, just ask anyone who has been seriously hurt or the families who have lost loved ones because of Business or company greed or neglect. They should look at the the benifits if investing in Health & Safety for the long term, less absenteeism, improved morale, more productivity and less damage to health.

• Rosemary stebbing PanterRosemary stebbing Panter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For too long government have been trying to water down the power attached to H&S. Taking powers from the HSE re staff to implimeant and serve improvementnotices and serve prohibition notices. Fatalities at work continue whilst those in power fiddle and fudge the issues. poor H&S legislation = injury and Death and no redress from fat cat employers.

• Sophia MangeraSophia Mangera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need health and safety regulation more than ever, given the current economic climate and the willingness of some employers to disregard H&S legislative requirements. Many staff are continuing to work with serious ill health problems -fearing loosing their jobs. The UK has one of the best records in Europe we need to build on this not dismantle it!

• Sue LowtherSue Lowther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We cannot afford to cut Health & Safety - injuries and disabilities are costly both to the person and to the NHS etc.
        We have a right to be protected from injury and disability at work.
        Health & Safety is currently inadequate - people are still getting injured, it will get worse if cuts are made.
        I SAY NO TO CUTS IN HEALTH & SAFETY.

• Geoffrey SmithGeoffrey Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We didn't vote to die at work and we certainly didn't vote to die while travelling by rail. The failure of the Potters Bar enquiry to fine and inprison any of the directors who chose to ignore all Health & Safety legislation and then lie about their role and blame sabotage shows that we need to not only defend health and safety but enforce it corfrectly against those employers killing their workers and members of the public.
        You never know when that worker or member of the public is going to be YOU!
        Come on 38 Degrees, this issue is important for everyone.

• Charlie ClutterbuckCharlie Clutterbuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a member of national Farmworker's Union (part of Unite), we face on farms the most dangerous workplace, where somebody is killed each week. Things haven't changed in 20 years, and look likely to get worse as HSE inspections become a thing of the past. We need H&S more than ever - we didn't vote to die

• Jane HowieJane Howie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to fight to keep the health and safety laws we have - the Coaliton government is out to get the workers'. The cuts in HSE and Local Authority enforcement of health and safety means the cuts will kill!

• ANONYMOUS NORWICHANONYMOUS NORWICH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a health and safety officer, I have nearly got on top of the health and safety issues in my workplace and there is still much to do. I work in an office, which some class as relatively safe, but I am ever vigilant. My work is never done. I am currently on the IOSH Course and hoping to qualify soon. All this Government have done since they have been in power is wreck the country, and now they want to let people die trying to do their jobs! Take, take, take but they never give.

• Kathryn JohnsonKathryn Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The HSE has been under-resourced for many years and recent cuts effectively leave it up to workers to organise to safeguard themselves. This is wholy in adequate. Undermining the legislation will only make a bad situation worse and inevitably lead to more unneccesary deaths, injuries and illness as a result of poor H&S at work. Its yet another example of taxpayers and, in this case, workers paying the costs while employers are carry on extorting their profits.

• Rory O'NeillRory O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no justice at work. Last year you could be scalped, lose a limb or be blinded and there was just a 5 per cent chance it would be even investigated. This year, inspections have been slashed, HSE is closing its telephone advice line, inspectors are under instruction to use alternatives to enforcement in the year following the lowest ever level of enforcement action.... breaching safety laws is a criminal act, but it appears to be one that has been pushed officially outside the law. We didn't vote to die at work, but you'd never know it from current government policy. www.hazards.org/votetodie

• chris ingramchris ingram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is all about maximising profit and allowing business to do whatever it feels. The USA systen is what the Tory's want for H&S just as they do for the NHS and healthcare. This applies to everything they do. Sadly the public read the gutter press and believe every word, whilst TV and radio news ignores the whole issue. Notice how even in soaps on TV and /Radio, the hcance to have a go at H&S is often taken. We need a massive public awareness campaign with high profile celebs as the public seem blind to anything that is not full of celebs!!!

• Paul ClyndesPaul Clyndes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget it is not just the HSE, Local Authorities and the Office of Rail Regulations also have an enforecment role for H+S. There are more traffic wardens in London than there are HSE inspectors!

• John BamfordJohn Bamford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a world where the maximisation of profits is the driving force, employers are always looking to cut costs - which means their workers face much higher risks to their safety, health and welfare. The law provides some standard of protection for workers, but it has never been strong enough, or adequately enforced, which makes it easier for employers to cut corners and put their workers at greater risk. The protection of its citizens should be the priority for any Government; the miserly sums employers save result in huge costs for victims and their families when injury and ill-health occur. Health and safety standards and their enforcement must to be improved, and cynical and negligent employers should be jailed when both their actions and inactions lead to the death, injury and ill-health of their workers and others.

Feedback and Knowledge Base