I suggest a campaign about ...

Health and safety at work.

The Coalition is reviewing Health and Safety legislation.
Maybe we should have a review of our own !
Often it seems as if the big multinationals are convicted repeatedly of heath and safety violations, sometimes in respect of fatal incidents, but the courts have little impact ( see www.hazards.org/corus ). Maybe 38 Degrees should campaign to highlight this very serious issue, which I believe most people are unaware of.

385 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick ONick O shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

202 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jannettja LongyearJannettja Longyear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we let Big Business set their own rules - how many people have to be killed in the name of Profit before we say No More.

• Geoff MatthewsGeoff Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What can you say bad uncaring government attacking working folk.
        where is ed milliband to challenge also or are the tory media just not reporting it

• Doru AlexaDoru Alexa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People are going to their work places, to WORK, not to DIE.We lost our son in very tragic circumstances, He was killed , when a tower crane collapsed on top of him, in Battersea, in 2006 He was not working in the construction industry and still he was killed by someone's negligence.
        BOSSES MUST NOT GO AWAY WITH MURDER,
        I feel the pain for every single person who lost their loved ones, unexpectedly,We must continue to campaign for better HSE legislation.

• liliana alexaliliana alexa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need more hse inspectors, not less. after we lost our loved one, the investigation is taking far too long. how can these crimes at work places, could be prevented?
        how many lives need to vanished, until the government is taken this matter very seriously>

• Ann NashAnn Nash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

H&S legislation is vital in ensuring employer accountability and provides enforcement for those who cut corners to maximise profits, often with disregard for employee well being. It also establishes a framework for employees to understand their H&S responsibilities to themselves and others.

• linzi herbertsonlinzi herbertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People go to work to live, not to be made ill or even Die by their employer. This government is killing this country in more ways than one!

• Paul SummerscalesPaul Summerscales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need clearly defined Directors duties for H&S at work with clear lines of responsibility and reporting in order to provide greater accountability which in turn would lead to safer workplaces

• judith allenjudith allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the coalition should be made up of parents whose children or loved ones have been killed at work , through employers lack of duty , only way to put all points across , dont walk in my shoes till you have earned the right , so dont make decisions that will affect the lives of my other children without looking at all evidence there is out there .

• peter  farrellpeter farrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

both my grand parents servived the 1st world war only to be killed at work they weren't given medals .

• Dr C.R.ButlerDr C.R.Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I take the reduction in the number of HSE inspectors very seriously together with the weakening of other measures such as RIDDOR. This will lead to an increase in workplace accidents, deaths and illness. It is being done to maximise employers' profits at the expense of the health and safety of the workforce.

• Stuart DaviesStuart Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Robust H&S legislation is essential to prevent employers from cutting corners to maximaise profits - and to help persuade workers to be careful and resonsible over their own H&S.

• julie winnjulie winn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A person deserves to come home from work unharmed. Adequate health and safety legislation plays a vital role in ensuring workers are protected. This Government's cavalier attempt to erode the basic health and safety laws must be stopped.

• John OliverJohn Oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Health and safety legislation came about at a cost, to some poor unfortunate people and their family`s it was the ultimate cost, we union rep`s cannot stand by and watch this situation deteriorate further, campaign, campaign and campaign again.

• Dave EasthamDave Eastham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Health and Safety is vital and gets rubbished as a "Burden on Business". Certainly now under attck from the Tory parts of the coalition and some parts of the Lib Dems that really ought to know better. Sometimes it is confused with a liberal freedom viewpoint and is seen as a hallmark of a centralised illiberal society. Well there is nothing liberal about the "freedom" to be killed, maimed or made ill by the corner cutting and negligence of those who are in a position to employ the labour of others for profit (nothing necessarily wrong with that) But with opportunities comes the duty of care for others. It is not a "burden on business". It is a fundamental responsibility.

• Dave KnightDave Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We did not vote to die at work. You can't trust the bosses to police themselves over workplace safety.

• Colin CuthbertColin Cuthbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

around 100 people a year are still killed at work every year in the UK, this is unacceptable, far from health and safety having gone mad its not mad enough.
        workers should have more control over health and safety over their own workplaces.

• Peter GaskinPeter Gaskin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Health, safety and welfare at work is critical to delivering economic prosperity to everyone. A deregulation race to the bottom will serve noone and safety reps are critical in policing workplaces. We need well trained roving reps to help enforce poor working conditions and breaches of legislation.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone will know someone, who has been injured, permanently disabled or killed by unsafe work practices, machinery and premises. This may be in the recent past or distant past. The museum in Wigan is worth visiting just to see the records of all the mining deaths in the area dating back well into the 19th century. My mum found one relative of hers, who had been killed in such an accident. Lets make sure that in keeping and improving legislation we only read about the past and do not relive it. Strong Health and Safety legislation is important to protect our human rights, health and dignity at work.

• DaveyDavey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Health and safety legislation came about at a cost, to some poor unfortunate people and their family`s it was the ultimate cost, we union rep`s cannot stand by and watch this situation deteriorate further, campaign, campaign and campaign again.

Feedback and Knowledge Base