I suggest a campaign about ...

Health and safety at work.

The Coalition is reviewing Health and Safety legislation.
Maybe we should have a review of our own !
Often it seems as if the big multinationals are convicted repeatedly of heath and safety violations, sometimes in respect of fatal incidents, but the courts have little impact ( see www.hazards.org/corus ). Maybe 38 Degrees should campaign to highlight this very serious issue, which I believe most people are unaware of.

385 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick ONick O shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

202 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Geof LuckGeof Luck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will Government realise that effective H&S in the workplace is a right and not a priviledge. It helps and protects EVERYONE and certainly does not need watering down by a costly government review. Use taxpayers money wisely...... there is nothing wrong with effective workplace H&S, just the compensation culture surrounding it.

• Geoff WebbGeoff Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The maintenance of the highest Health and Safety standards is not only ethically and morally but also economically vital.

• Jonathan DaviesJonathan Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We simply can't afford cuts to health & safety where the construction industry is killing an average of 50-70 people each year.

• peter  farrellpeter farrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just read a story about a housing association dumping asbestos in a garden . Then claiming it was at a safe level. Privatisation of housing & attacks on H&S we can expect a massive increase in this sort of crap from employers.

• Amanda JonesAmanda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Health & Safety is currently inadequate if legislation is watered down there will be more deaths and injuries in the workplace, as well as in our everyday lives. Yet another nail in the coffin of the workers. Health and Safety will become an excersise of dotting the i's and crossing the t's to make sure employers making the profit won't get prosecuted for causing deaths or injuries. We need to fight the cuts to Health & Safety legislation before it's to late and we are back in the dark ages, working for peanuts with no rights. Think of all those people who have lost loved one's due to bad practice of Health & Safety at work. Stick together and fight the cuts.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

big business will always put profit before people especially when their friends are in power

• jonsen greenjonsen green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Big business bleating on about how basic health and safety protection for workers erodes their profits says it all.

• Darren MclellandDarren Mclelland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Far too many people are still being injured through carrying out their duties at work. We need to move forward and not let the government put us back years when good people have fought hard to get us where we are!

• Sean LoughranSean Loughran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What century is the government living in? Is the intention to revert back to the bad old days where the oly Health & Safety concern that was enshined in law is it is prohibited to stick a child up a chimney. In my experience as a Health & Safety Rep Management do not do Common Sense so therefore it is unrealisic to expect managers to self govern. Just like the banks curb their own bonuses.

• J TaylorJ Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is starting to become very noticeable that corners are being cut in my own industry.Any slackening of Health and Safety law will make it a dangerous place for not only the workers but for the public in general.

It is starting to become very noticeable that corners are being cut in my own industry.Any slackening of Health and Safety law will make it a dangerous place for not only the workers but for the public in general.

• Michael CampbellMichael Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Tories refer to Health and Safety as "Red Tape". Don't let them fool you. The less "Red Tape" ther is, the more profits there is for their cronies

• Charlie TranterCharlie Tranter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be demanding better H&S legislation not putting up with the watering down of the existing laws. I wish it were as simple as voting in a Labour Government next time but in the thirteen years of the last Labour Government they chose not to make significant changes to improve H&S legislation. A large company has more chance of a Royal visit than a visit from HSE.

• darren999darren999 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are our corporate manslaughter laws so weak?
        In the event of a serious accident blame is almost always passed down to the man on the ground.
        This is why we need more H&S laws and more Reps in our workplaces.

• David LawrenceDavid Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Daily Mail readers says 'this is health and safety getting the way of doing things' until something goes wrong, then the tune changes. Proper safe systems of work are necessary. If you have any doubts ask some of the people crippled by lax attitudes to health and safety.

Feedback and Knowledge Base