I suggest a campaign about ...

Health and safety at work.

The Coalition is reviewing Health and Safety legislation.
Maybe we should have a review of our own !
Often it seems as if the big multinationals are convicted repeatedly of heath and safety violations, sometimes in respect of fatal incidents, but the courts have little impact ( see www.hazards.org/corus ). Maybe 38 Degrees should campaign to highlight this very serious issue, which I believe most people are unaware of.

385 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick ONick O shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

202 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MouldUKMouldUK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, yes yes, they have no backbone to do the job they are there for

they have been very happy to squirm there way out of investigating our report even though we have injuries and they have agreed there were breeches

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a proposed change to the 1974 Act. As I understand it, if it goes through then employers would no longer be strictly liable for the safety and health of their workers. This implies that an employer's breach of the law would not be sufficient justification for a personal injury claim, the injured party would have to prove that the employer was negligent as well. To me, this raises some considerable worries if technology is involved because the injured person may then have to pursue the supplier of any equipment involved in the accident. This is apart from the fundamental issue of the proposed change being a further weakening of the protection of workers.

Do you know whether anyone is organising informed professional opposition to this proposal? To my knowledge there is a rather under supported e-petition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41086 but nothing much else.

• cliffordclifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have said this before health and safety only goe's as far as the purse strings its like everything else this government does it looks good on paper so it must be right god forbid nobody would dare flount the safety laws you would have to be thick to accept that rubbish

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is quite clear that the rich boys in government have never worked in a 'real' workplace, their ignorance about health and safety is laughable. Someone should send these comments to Cameron so that he can understand what is happening in the British workplace.

the hse are a joke as usual health and safety in the work place only goes as far as the purse strings and i know from experience that if you start to mention health and safety issues in certain work places you are likely to be laid off the amount of times i have seen things hidden when the hse are due only to be brought out again after they have gone we need an independant watchdog to ensure the rules of health and safety are adhered to regardless of cost and time

the HSE are a joke it is common knowledge the HSE come in everything has been hidden and when they leave everthing comes out again right lads carry on its the same old story health and safety only goes as far as the purse strings we need something more independant to look after our workers and make sure safe working practice is applied regardless of cost and time and a lot of people keep there mouths shut for fear of losing jobs

• Stuart GrahamStuart Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was the anniversary of the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster recently. The Thatcher govt refused to hold a public inquiry. It then emerged that Lord Stevens, boss of P&O ferries was a leading contributor to tory funds - and that in a nutshell is what we are up against. Vested interests looking after their own. And if people die because of lax health and safety regulation it doesn't really matter because we are the little people who pay taxes and support each other whereas they are masters of the universe.

• Peter WatsonPeter Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The effect of the HSE cuts of 35% will mean "low risk"premises will be on their own with managers in these areas are taking worker safety off the agenda which means Trade Union Safety reps like me have to keep reminding them of the legal duties of the Employer.This means that Employers might think they can ignore the risks of asbestos.Well let me tell you there is NO safe level of asbestos in the atmosphere.How many working in offices or visiting homes think about that when there are no asbestos records kept for them to see?
        1.Become a safety rep
        2.Get your grounding in the law,dont need too much,just the essentials
        3 Ask questions eg can I see the Employer's asbestos survey records for all premises staff work in including peoples' homes?
        Good Luck!

• B JohnsonB Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have very little to protect us legally in this country and the 'Common Safety, Common Sense' report from Lord Young will make things worse. Unfortunately, 13 years of a Labour government saw us get a watered down Corporate Manslaughter Act which wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. If someone dies at work, the directors of a company are not held truly responsible but the families of those who've died are left with a life sentence of grief. So yes, the workforce of this country really should campaign to protect themselves and make the government listen to those who actually do the work that puts the money in the pockets of business.

• ClaireClaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the government want to stop this 'no win, no fee' compensation culture, lets start with lowering the risks of accidents in the first instance. H & S is an important aspect of this reduction & is the employers friend.

• Nobby StylesNobby Styles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nobby Styles

I have been a Shop Steward and Safety Rep and Workers Memorial Day Organiser in N E Lincs for years. Lowering Health Safety at work will be a killer of many of our fellow workers. Guess I can be considered by my actions to be one of Camerons members of the big society who will be in future saying at the Workers Memorial Day services This worker was allowed to be murdered at work by the Conservatives and the Liberals. Need I say more.

• Lynn ClarkeLynn Clarke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lowering the H&S legislation will mean that companies can take it easy when it comes to H&S which is just not acceptable.

• Kathleen JowittKathleen Jowitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poor Health and Safety puts people's lives at risk. Removing the legislation stops anything being done to improve matters.

• David ReidDavid Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tories should be using some common sense by reviewing the current legislation to find out where it needs to be strengthened but alas they don't have any

• andy irvingandy irving commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Work related accidents and ill health cost business and the economy £22 billion a year. The Govt. are axing the HSE advice line which is a free resource and will deprive Small businesses vital support. Trade Union H&S Reps, many of whom are voluntary, are dedicated to upholding and fighting for safer working practices/environments - they save companies £15 billion + a year.

The cutbacks and proposed scrapping of health and safety legislation are ideologically driven (nothing to do with red tape), they make no business sense (in fact they will add cost to and in some cases destroy business). Above all, they are an insult to anyone who has lost a close relative or friend in a workplace accident. They should be vigourously opposed.

• Mr Michael TurnerMr Michael Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Health & Safety at work should be left to the professional H&S people to make rules and regulations, NOT untrained cowboy politicians

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base