I suggest a campaign about ...

impose poor student admissions quotas on universities that also form part of university rating

Universities should be assessed on the inclusiveness of their admissions as well as on student results so that the most able and motivated students are able to achieve regardless of economic circumstance. They could be more proactive in recruting poorer students and would be if their ratings depended on it.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    louise smithlouise smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marcia Simpson-JamesMarcia Simpson-James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Marcia Simpson-James
        Poor students have no use to these particular universities, unless their names, are Ghaddaffi, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao, etc. Only if you are the child of a mass murdering dictator, tyrant or oligarch do young people stand a chance. Ask LSE, King's College, Oxford, Cambridge, and so on...about their 'sponsors' and 'funders'?

• Paul WarrenPaul Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Universities don't give a fig whether their applicants are rich or poor. The only thing that matters is their A-level grades : something that is only in the hands of the schools and of the students themselves. There's no point jamming a load of weak applicants into university if they're going to fail. Especially if, under the current government-led quota systems, it means that more able students are denied places.
        I support a system of fully-funded scholarships, which would enable all able students, rich and poor alike, to take advantage of their hard-earned success. The less able applicants should be entitled to take up apprenticeships in their chosen careers.

Feedback and Knowledge Base