I suggest a campaign about ...

Enhancing transparency in public spending in an attempt to increase value for taxpayers.

The government wastes many billions of it's tax receipts in many ways. Half-assed due diligence on suppliers, buying into projects without having anyone on staff who seems to really understand what it is they're buying (and subsequent surprise at under-delivery), projects which get started and have millions poured into them only to get shelved (often indefinitely).

38 Degrees should be asking why the £630bn poured into the public sector last year alone isn't enough as it is - that's around £10,000 for every man woman and child in the country.

There is a culture of waste in most large organisations where money is not perceived to be an object, and government is no exception.

When it's time to be seen to pull in the purse strings, rather than simply making measured cuts or renegotiating sensibly, public sector departments will form focus groups, or employ accounts staff in such a manner as to spend £50 in labour costs to save £10 over two years (I have actually experienced this first hand) - and then wring their hands in dismay when they fail to save money.

I would wager that most of the cuts the government needs to make to it's expenditure could readily be made if we weren't so busy paying consultants and contract workers to use our own watch to tell us the time - and we need more visibility on what the government spends our money on and why, coupled with the accountability to be such that there is real, actual to goodness motivation for our government to change it.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    phillipbakerphillipbaker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...