I suggest a campaign about ...

foreign patients and the NHS

foreign patients cost the Nhs billions each year, when you need hospital treatment abroad they won't even touch you before they see your insurance documents. Nurses tell us they haven't got time to check any paperwork and would be sued if they refused treatment anyway - imagine how much this is costing the country?

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Identify the nation of origin of these patients treat them send them home and bill their country at private hospital and flight rates.

• SdeCarneSdeCarne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When working in Canada for 3 years we could not get free treatment until our paperwork was completed to prove we were contributing to the system. When my boy was in London at the Chelsea & Westminster Hosp (July.95) a lady next to me complained about the length of time her induction was taking. Found out she had come to UK from US to have this baby when she was 5 months preg. purely because it was free.She was staying with friends! Makes me so angry.Have a 2nd son with special needs. So many cuts to services which we work hard to pay for through our taxes. We cannot afford to subsidise others.

• AncientAncient commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My mother died for a lack of quality treatment in Spain, definitely we must limit this.

• WandaWanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been the doormat of Europe for too long. What's the point in joining the EU only to opt out of this and that. You're either all in or all out. In Spain a friend had to get her c/card out before her diabetic husband could be seen only to be told the obvious 'treatment' and charged for it. Only those who LIVE here should be given NHS treatment. I made a point a few weeks ago that I used to work in the NHS and saw money being wasted - we were denied a shelf in our office for patients' files only to have gardens, fencing, paintings bought for Gordon Brown's visit. We had to literally beg for envelopes to send patient's letters out, sometimes not getting them so post piled up. When we ran out of a toner for our printer we had to take one out of another dept's printer, use it and then return it. Diabolical. I loved the job and the direct people I worked with but not the politics. I could go on and on.....

• susan smithsusan smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Blame our stupid,idiotic goverment......This MUST STOP......we are a DOORMAT for all & sundrie.....no where else would tolerate this but here...Make them pay...like we have to when going abroad.....TAKE the BLINKERS off........

• gloriagloria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALL foreigners, including Americans, should have to show their medical insurance policy before they are allowed in the country.
        Also all those dear Brits who live abroad for years then return here and get it all for free after having paid nothing into out system.

Feedback and Knowledge Base