Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Forestry Commisson U-TURN - Delamere Forest once again under threat!

Despite the House of Lords overturning the sell off of our beloved Delamere Forest - the Forestry Commisson has prompted a consultation within a window of 1 month to build 70 holiday homes across the Forest creating a devastating impact on the wild life, trees and habitat.

PLEASE HELP US FIGHT THIS! Is there nowhere in the north west which is protected from development??!!

This area is vital protecting what wildlife we have left, and now the FC (gov) want to strip a huge area, laying pipes and leading to the inevitable human contamination.

The email address that I was…

698 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      72 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • An amendment to the Bail Bill that will help prevent domestic violence murders

1 woman is murdered by a current or ex-partner in the uk every 3days. Last year Jane Clough was murdered by her ex - Vass who was on bail for 6 counts of rape, 3 assaults and 1 sexual assault. Despite objections by the Police and CPS. There is a petition that has been through the first stage and now needs signatures to support an amendment to the Bail allowing bail decisions to be appealled. Jane Clough and many other victims would be alive today if her (their) killer had not been granted bail.

697 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        181 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 671 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          104 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Contaminated Blood: ‘An avoidable human tragedy‘, no accountability and a 25 year fight for justice.

In the late 1970s/early 1980s, over 4,800 British Haemophiliacs were knowingly infected with Hepatitis C through D.O.H approved N.H.S treatment. A further 1,200+ were also infected with HIV, the virus that leads to AIDS. Of those 1200, only 360 remain and hundreds have died from Hepatitis C. The rest are left in the shadows of terminal illness with no official backed Government inquiry into the circumstances of how this deplorable situation happened.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for our community. We’ve been exposed to and infected with potentially hundreds of other contaminants, such as C.M.V, Hepatitis B…

670 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            33 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Save Barn Elms from Thames Waters Plans to construct the super sewers main drive shaft

We are a coalition of residents, councils, MPs and GLA members joining forces to defend an unspoilt stretch of the River Thames riverbank from seven years of construction misery.

Alistair McGowan, Peter Snow and Caroline Langrishe are among the high profile names backing the pressure group's campaign.

We are opposed to Thames Water's plans to construct the main shaft of the proposed Thames Tunnel at Barn Elms.
            We believe there are alternative sites which offer less impact to our community, wildlife & quality of life for local residents!
            Thames Water wants to choose Barn Elms playing fields, between Putney &…

652 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              140 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • wild animals in circuses

Last year, a public consultation found that 94.5% of those who responded supported a ban on wild animal acts in circuses.

Labour announced last year that they were planning to introduce a ban if re-elected.

The long-standing Lib Dem policy is to ban the use of all animals, except horses and dogs, in circuses.

The Government announced that it would make an announcement in Autumn, then Winter, then before Christmas, then in the New Year... now "soon".

This delayed response means that another season of animal circuses is about to start. Over the next month, wild animal circuses will be…

650 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                82 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Stop EU legislation wiping out ancient and effective traditional herbal medicinal cultures

It's serious and it's imminent. After April 2011 lots of herbs from traditional cultures (Chinese medicine, Ayurveda) will disappear unless we campaign hard. We have to stop EU legislation steam-rollering traditional medicinal cultures in Europe.

646 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  232 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 609 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    49 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Vote Yes! to Fairer Votes

It's three months until the UK's first ever referendum on electoral reform. We will finally get the chance to vote to take back some of the power that political parties have stolen from us. 38 Degrees members should be encouraged to get out and help with the campaign for a Yes vote.
                    Switching to the Alternative Vote system, would make MPs more accountable, requiring that they have a genuine majority to be elected. It would give everyone an equal say, as the option to specify an order of preference will mean your vote will always be counted. And it will…

598 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      58 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • stop Clegg removing the free bus pass for pensioners

Nick clegg wants to means test pensioners bus pass which allows them free transport on local buses anywhere in England

570 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        122 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Have Read-ins at town halls and civic centres in protest against library closures. Can dress up

Go to local town halls with a library book and sit down and read and refuse to leave at closing time. Could dress as faourite characters from literature.

564 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          61 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Saving The Deanes School in Benfleet Essex.

Essex County Council started consultations on May 23rd 2013 to close a secondary school in Thundersley Essex rated as a "Good school with outstanding features" by OFSTED. This is a constructive closure by Councillor Gooding The Cabinet Member of Education and Lifelong Learning. His consultation is flawed and has been recommended by his own Scrutiny Commitee that "there is insufficient evidence" to close the school. Yet he ignores his own council and presses ahead with the closure. Rebecca Harris MP is fully opposed to the closure as is the local Castle Point Borough Councillors and the neighbouring Southend Unity Council…

562 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            43 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Head Teachers - Safeguard the health and development of children in schools

Dear Head Teachers, please take action to safeguard the health and development of pupils in your school by banning the use of mobile/smart phones on school property and using only wired communications for all IT equipment and utility meters. Wi-Fi/2.4GHz signals have been shown in scientific studies to cause biological damage, alter brain activity, increase the proliferation of cancer cells and have a negative effect on fertility. Schools have a legal duty to prevent any damage to the health and development of children. Responses to the government's statements on Wi-Fi safety can be found here: http://wifiinschools.org.uk/resources/SSITA+response+January+2014.pdf.
                            Calls for you…

561 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              20 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Manchester Central Library is pulping hundreds of thousands of books due to a shelving mistakeelection, due to a miscalculation of shelving.

Manchester Central Library has been closed for a while for refurbishment. What people are not aware of is that senior management at the library seriously miscalculated the shelf space needed to house the reference books when the library is re-opened in 2013.

At this very moment library staff are engaged in a continuing process of segregating for destruction a large proportion of the very thing that makes Manchester Central Library unique amongst British public libraries – its extensive and historic reference stock. It is probable that up to half the reference and lending non-fiction stock (up to half a million…

557 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                31 comments  ·  Media & the arts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Close residential streets on Sundays so children can play out

Based on the suggestion by MP Anne Milton that cars could be banned from residential roads to allow children to play out in the street. This is an excellent idea that would help counter child obesity, aid child development, help foster community cohesion.

553 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  317 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 546 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    239 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Gove: Give Bac choice to children

Through the introduction of the E-Bac, Michael Gove has dramatically altered our children’s education.

By leaving out subjects like RE, Music, Art, Drama ICT, Business Studies and Design Technology from the new performance measure, creativity and diversity in the curriculum are being eroded, and children in many schools are being dissuaded from taking these subjects up to GCSE level. Instead, they are being strongly persuaded to take those subjects that will help schools to “look good” in the new E-Bac “league tables”. Consequently, the richness of our children’s education is now in danger of being severely compromised.

Following the work…

544 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      62 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Bombardier and the future of the British train building

We are concerned about the future of the British train building industry.

Our concern is a consequence of the decision to appoint Siemens as the preferred bidder for the new fleet of trains for the Thameslink Programme. This will result in 1,400 jobs being lost in Derby and up to another 20,000 in the UK, as suppliers are also affected.

Politicians from all the parties including Conservative MPs, businesses and the unions are calling for the contract to be reviewed.

Independent experts argue that the if the sums are done correctly, awarding the contract to Siemens can't possibly offer value…

527 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        98 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Support for UK communities fighting against Waste Incineration. We want alternatives to manage waste

Many communities across the UK are fighting their local councils about decisions to build waste incinerators in towns, near homes, on farm land and in areas of natural beauty and interest. There are many more planned for the UK. The USA has not commissioned an Incinerator since the mid 1990's however they are still being built in the UK by American companies. There are better, greener and healthier alternatives to waste management. Typically councils are locked into 25 year contracts and agree to provide the privately owned incinerator companies with a certain quota of waste or else face hefty fines.…

510 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          171 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Save Careers and Connexions Services

Unemployment amongst 16 to 25 year olds in the UK has reached record levels with more than a million young people struggling to find work; yet, following cuts to the Connexions service, thousands of young people across the UK now have either very limited or no access to face-to-face career guidance, a situation caused directly by the Government's decision to place the statutory duty to ensure impartial careers guidance on schools, who have been given no additional funds to deliver such important services; and calls on the Government to reverse its policy and instead to provide sufficient funding to the…

508 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            112 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base