Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Individuals or companies with a controlling interest in Newspapers should be tax resident in the UK.

Newspapers play a huge role in influencing public attitudes and government policy. A significant number of major titles are owned and/or controlled by individuals and companies that are either foreign nationals or are resident for tax purposes outside the UK. The vital role that newspapers have can be undermined by the business interests of these owners, while they enjoy the benefits of be domicied elswhere. As an example, we can look at the the press attention given to members of the House of Lords who were non-doms. These same papers carry significantly more influence than individual members of parliament, yet…

156 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      13 comments  ·  Media & the arts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • national strike of no confidence in the coalition gov

a campaign calling for a national strike against government cuts and of no confidence in the present administration. A call to all unions, students, unemployed, low waged and anyone with a sense of justice.

155 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        31 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Against UK Government proposal to monitor internet use - the greatest threat to privacy in the history of this country

The government's claim that the ability to monitor the internet and email will allow it to combat crime and terror is spurious. As has always been the case, the serious criminals will find ways around the new controls, while the innocent will lose their privacy. This was once a free country - it is turning into a police state!

155 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • The U.K. Government to offer Genetic Testing in ALL cases of Sudden Unexplained Deaths

Approximately 1,000 young people (aged between 1 year and 30 years) die suddenly and unexpectedly every year in the U.K alone, leaving families with one burning question-Why? A new test known as Genetic Autopsy can provide answers for up to a third of these families and,in some cases, can highlight the potential for death in siblings/family members. We want ALL families affected by Sudden Unexplained Death to be offered this test to provide answers and reassurance (currently this is only available to 50 families)

154 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            19 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Ban Smoking In Cars Carrying Children

Research suggested more than 300,000 children visited doctors every year with health problems associated with passive smoke, while there were 20,000 new cases of asthma and wheezing among children every year. Children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of passive smoking and while adults can make up their mind about the dangers of smoking, children are unable to decide whether or not to go in cars where cigarette smoke is circulating. We need to protect children.

153 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              10 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Ethical Food Labels on all food packaging

Make it compulsory that food product packaging includes additional information (alongside nutrition information etc.) relating to social and environmental issues. Labels such as "Fair Trade" and "Free Range" exist for food products that meet certain criteria, however the majority of food product packaging does not include information relating to these issues.

Information that could be included:

*Are producers paid a fair wage?
              *Working conditions for producers
              *Ecological impact (effect on biodiversity, destruction of natural habitat as a result of production etc.)
              *Environmental impact (pollution, carbon footprint)
              *Suitability for vegetarians/vegans on all products
              *Welfare of animals used to produce meat/dairy products …

152 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                13 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Stop a biofuel power station in Bristol and stop all UK plants that destroy rainforests.

The secretary of state is reviewing a planning appeal. He has the power to decide whether local nature reserves and air quality will be polluted as well as saving 22,000 h of rainforest. His ruling could help prevent similar plants throughout UK. Please tell him to say no to the planning appeal and that local people can still think global and act local. This is urgent as he will decide by 22nd December. Let's give nature and local residents a Christmas to remember.

150 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  30 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Create a people's mutual bank and take our money out from the corrupt banking system

If we, the people who live, work and reside in the UK create a new, National fully mutual financial institution, those who bank with the corrupt top High Street Banks that are costing us our Tax money, while their bosses take £7BN in bonuses, they will SINK, but the British economy will survive.

Let's vote with our wallets!

149 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    12 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Greater investment in providing a total package of services for people with mental health issues

Mental health continues to be the Cinderella of the NHS. Closure of wards and limited access to psychiatrists means there is greater pressure on support services which are under-funded and overstretched. The support available, i.e. CBT, is offered for such short periods to be almost of negligible value. People with mental health issues require continuity of care.

148 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Stop EU plans to allow GM foods entering the UK food chain

Coalition Govt. to back EU plans allowing GM crops into UK food chain without regulation. European Union is just waiting for the chance to give GM food the all-clear, because the EU is controlled by the same families that control Big Biotech and Big Pharma. Let's stop them getting a foot hold now.

146 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • The 1974 Land Compensation Act is no longer fit for purpose and must be changed

The number and range of environmental campaigns run by 38 Degrees reflects the fact that there is increasing pressure on the countryside in all sorts of ways. Government and Big Business seem to view it solely as the obvious place to put new infrastructure. Some is so unwelcome (eg underground nuclear waste storage, waste incinerators) that there is immediate and unequivocal outrage locally that everyone in the country can understand. Some (wind farms, runways, roads and railways) are trickier because they are seen as beneficial on a wide scale but are still disastrous locally.
                        But in the end all these…

145 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          7 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Unfair and discriminatory changes to Womens' pensions. Pension postponed 6 years because I'm 56!

The Goverment is proposing to change Womens' pension eligibility. If you fall into the age group 56 or younger your entitlement to a State Pension will be postponed for many years. I am 56 and I will have to wait another 6 years for mine! These changes have been imposed without giving women enough time to plan to work for another six years...he proposals for men are not nearly so draconian!

144 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            32 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Save our NHS

Can we build on the local meetings to do an email campaign to MPs and to the House of Lords, and to organise a large march to save the NHS from the disintegration that the government is planning

143 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              9 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Demand justice for survivors of sexual slavery

An estimated 200,000 women were enslaved into militarised brothels by the Japanese Imperial Army during the Asia-Pacific War. This was the largest ever recorded case of sex trafficking, yet the Japanese Government has never apologised or paid legal reparations to the victims. Human trafficking must be addressed and more perpetrators must be prosecuted. On December 14th in Seoul, South Korea, a group of brave survivors will have their 1000th consecutive protest outside the Japanese Embassy. Send the message to the British Government that we do not support Japan in denying responsibility before it is too late and the victims pass…

143 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Stop privatisation of the police

Police services marked for privatisation include:

- crime investigation
                                - detaining suspects
                                - case development
                                - responding to and investigating incidents
                                - supporting victims and witnesses
                                - managing high risk individuals
                                - patrolling neighbourhoods
                                - mangaging intelligence
                                - managing engagement with the public

These details, announced today in the Guardian, outline functions of the police service that private security companies such as G4S will be bidding for. Currently the proposal relate to West Midlands and Surrey police.
                                It is primarily a responsibility shifting and cost saving exercise. Please support this campaign idea to stop the privatisation of the police!!! Policing…

141 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  5 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Kelloggs to put Puffa Puffa RIce back on the shelves

We the undersigned are hungry that this favourite of the British breakfast table, not seen since the mid-80's is returned to the Supermarket shelves. Golden puffed rice glazed in brown sugar and
                                  promoted by a wand wielding Sooty glove puppet on the box.

Unmatched by any other breakfast cereal Puffa Puffa Rice should remain part of our British breakfastime Heritage

139 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • KEEP PROBATION IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN - e-petitions epetitions.direct.gov.uk

This is something that everyone needs to sign. You might think it doesn't matter, or that it doesn't effect you, but it will. If the probation service is privatised then lives will be put at risk as profit and cost saving is put above public protection. If you value your safety and the safety of your families and the ones you love then sign this petition!

137 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Bracknell Conservative Association MUST Recall and deselect Dr Phillip Lee, MP

I call upon the Bracknell Conservative Association to recall and deselect PHILLIP LEE as the Member of Parliament for Bracknell.

His failings are obvious but to highlight a few: His calls for a new hospital outside his own constituency will lead to the closure of Heatherwood to pay for it; Heatherwood, a hospital he promised to defend upon standing for Parliament. His low visibility in the constituency is ridiculous, instead he is more interested in being a Westminster MP than a strong constituency champion. His expenses claims should be investigated - he claims for a flat in London but his…

137 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        10 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Flexible School Admissions for Summer Born Children

The current system in England dictates that children start formal Primary School at one of the youngest ages in Europe. Time and again, research illustrates that Summer born children - not withstanding those who are premature or those with problematic medical histories - are incorrectly being classified as having learning disabilities, simply because they are not socially, physically or emotionally ready for full time school. "Additionally, children attending a school within the UK are further disadvantaged according to Ofsted (2004) as the introduction of the EYFS has led to schools abandoning the practice of allowing children to start in reception…

136 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Stop war with Iran at all costs. Don't let our government and media make it seem just or innevitable

We are careering toward a war with Iran. While America beefs up it's arms in the area, provokes Iran wth verbal threats of action and while it supports the villainisation of Iran the media are trying to convince us that the war is just.
                                          Let's stand up and say no to a war with Iran at all costs. By diplomacy only.

135 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            22 comments  ·  International issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base