Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. putting pressure on Russia to stop homophobic persecution in Russia today

Following on from the recent Dispatches documentary, Hunted, 5 Feb 2014, this kind of persecution of gay people must be severely condemned by our Government.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Foreign aid used to create worthwhile jobs

Use at least a portion of the foreign aid budget to set up a Government organisation which hires professionals and motivated unemployed people to help countries in need develop infrastructure (shelter, wells, roads, farmland, education, hospitals) and deal with disasters. It will remedy issues that, rather than being solved by throwing money at the problem, requires a specifically targeted task force to build a long term solution alongside the community.
      Having a large idle workforce is unacceptable when there's vital work that needs to be done. It would be a fantastic gateway job, getting young people out into the world,…

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  International issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • E-Petition: Raise personal income tax allowance to be in line with the national minimum wage

Hi, my cousin and I believe that in order to help people on low incomes the personal income allowance should increase to that of the minimum wage, based on a 40-hour week, which is why my cousin set up an online e-petition here: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/61160. This would build on the work by the coalition to take the lowest earners out of tax altogether. By raising the threshold, it will simplify the tax returns of countless numbers of low-paid workers and enable them to keep more of their wages rather than having them taken away and given back to them via…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Announce the Pay and Pension Provision Arrangements of all these Overpaid Union Bosses. Whose Sole Purpose is to Undermine the Con / Lib Gov

The Union Leaders and their Shop stewards, are intent on Bringing Down Our Elected Government. By introducing Random, but pre agreed Strikes, which will harm our Recovery, in the Medium to long Term. One after another, they are Conning their Union Membership, to walk out, thus undermining the Recovery of our Nation.......
          They no longer have an Ali in Ed Miliband, to Support them. First it was the Postal Workers, then the Fire brigade Members, followed by the Underground Workers, and next week the Teachers, I believe!!! Followed by the Nurses..........
          Just what are they Striking For, at least under…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • The people of the UK must also vote either for or against Scottish independence

The people of the UK as a whole must be allowed to vote either for or against the independence of Scotland. We have been a United Kingdom for 300 years and it is unfair that the people of one nation can break up the Kingdom.

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Unwanted housing development in green belt surrey

Unwanted housing development in green belt surrey

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Protecting NHS from the threats posed by The Transatlantic Trade Deal

This pernicious bit of work has no mandate from the public but could see all manner of requirements imposed that run counter to our declared wishes. Private health care and genetically tampered life forms would be given free reign against the wishes of the populace,in fact without their knowledge as this deal has been done behind closed doors.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Pancreatic Cancer (PC) - Research Funding and Awareness

PC is the 5th largest cancer killer in the UK yet it receives just 1% of the research funding. Over 8000 will be diagnosed this year alone - 20+ being diagnosed today! 5 year survival rates have not improved in over 40 years and still remain at just 3% - most sadly die within weeks of diagnosis.

PC charities in the UK would like to take these statistics to Parliament but in order to get our voices heard we need to get 100,000 signatures on an epetition (hosted by Maggie Watts - a widow to PC) by the 8 April…

380 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • NI numbers on job application forms

The Gov advise that job seekers should not be asked for their Ni number on application forms. Amongst other things.
                    Yet most employers appear to be unaware of this Gov advice.
                    I recently applied for a job with a local council which asked for my NI number on the application form. I emailed them and told them about the gov advice and they had no idea it even existed.
                    To make matters worse, many online application forms will not let you proceed with the application unless you supply this information.
                    There are a number of reasons why we shouldn't be…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Further inquiry into the death of Dr David Kelly. Evidence in the News International court case supports a whitewash from ex-PM Tony Blair.

Evidence from the current News International court case supports earlier posts that a further inquiry needs to be made. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hacking-trial-blair-39-offered-advice-brooks-39-171708071.html#hxQQdn8
                      Ex-PM Tony Blair advises Rebekah Brooks to have a 'controlled' inquiry headed by someone to "publish a Hutton (sic) style report". The invasion of Syria was only defeated by a House vote in reflection that MPs suspected the Iraq War was unjustified and not only did we lose those in the line of duty, but a UN weapons Inspector was murdered. Mr Blair needs to be questioned and accountable for, albeit, he will never be investigated for these war crimes.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  International issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • grandparents should be given priority to care for their own grandchildren

our granddaughter was unjustly put into foster care by Social Workers who invented hurtful false allegations against our family to justify their actions for not allowing her to live with us her own grandparents ,we couldn't obtain legal aid to fight them in Court and the Social Workers wouldn't even allow us in Court to defend our good name against their invented allegations'' ! tried to take this issue up with our MP Andrew Srephenson but he just fobbed us off,

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Building industry - late payers and those putting themselves into CVA(company voluntary liquidation)

This is done to save paying sub-contractors and suppliers thus puting them out of business. Michael Fallon said he was proposing stopping late payment but nothing has happened. Companies in CVA just write off debts and then continue working - leaving devastation behind them for the smaller companies/suppliers. My Company is now on the edge because of three companies doing this already this year to a tune of £10,000 - we cannot sustain this loss.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • NHS - Make the vaccine for Shingles available for all people between the ages 70 - 79.

We think that leaving most people over the age of 70 un-vaccinated against the serious disease of Shingles as greatly negligent of the needs of the elderly population of the UK. It is painful, it can reoccur, it can leave the sufferer with lasting pain & older people are more prone to get it.
                            We should join other civilised counties who offer this as a matter of course.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Qatar boycott - Companies sponsoring the 2022 world cup should be boycotted and the Foreign office removes Qatar from safe travel list

With enough pressure on the mega corporations lining FIFAs pockets, and the UK government actually taking notice of the massive breach of human rights for migrant workers in Qatar we can get something done. It's abundantly clear that Sepp Blatter and his corrupt band of cronies have no intention of forcing the Qatar authorities to improve their record, so we are left to do this on our own. I propose a two step campaign: 1 - List companies that are FIFA world cup sponsors and boycott them. 2 - Lobby the home office to list Qatar as a no go…

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Making bullying a health and safety issues in schools and the workplace

To make schools and workplaces treat bullying as serious as any other risk to general health/mental health

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Force mobile phone companies and satellite/cable TV providers to allow customers to terminate their agreements online

Mobile phone companies and satellite/cable TV companies make it very easy for customers to add to their existing packages or upgrade via their websites but if a customer wants to reduce their packages or terminate their agreement they must always ring the company and spend hours with a customer services operator who tries to talk them out of it. This should be stopped.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Improve House of Commons debates and PMQs

Mps should remain silent during debates/questions and should express their opinions by either waving a feather duster or throwing a bun (or other approved bread based product).

This would no doubt improve the quality of rhetoric and debate employed by members and produce more interesting TV.

This policy would also demonstrate to the House the level at which their discussions and behaviours are viewed by the public.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Stop Scottish MPs voting on matters that only affect English and Welsh voters.

Scottish MPs should not be allowed to vote on matters that do not affect Scotland. (for example charging for Higher Education). Whilst an "English" parliament would be a good long term solution to this issue, in the meantime it would be much simpler to implement a law that excludes Scottish MPs from voting on matters that do not affect their country.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Keep 70mph on M1

Keep 70mph on M1, slowing it down around the Sheffield area is beyond stupid, it will not help the environment and it will create more problems than what we have now

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Fighting each new Tory privatisation as it is proposed - they are OBSESSED!

I have just read that they now want to privatise the pensions!
                                          This is never ending and cannot be allowed. Thatcher sold off so much and cost us a fortune (and still is!) and just recently Vince Cable has continued the tradition of flogging off a business cheap so their friends in big business can make a fortune part of which very conveniently goes into the Tory funds (what a co-incidence!). They are also wanting to privatise the Air Sea Rescue. How many lives is that going to cost? They need to be stopped in their tracks NOW!

0 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base