Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. To get Chris Rayling the Justice Secretary to reverse his ban on prisoners receiving books in prisons

There is a ban on prisoners receiving any parcels from outside including books. Reading should be a human right besides which it will help the rehabilitation process. We should all write to him and demand that he changes his mind.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • National Policing Disability Strategy

Support my petition to the Home Office!

"Protect vulnerable Adults and Children"

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/protect-vulnerable-adults-and-children

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • THE WASTED BILLION COLLECTING LITTER

A BILLION POUNDS A YEAR IS WASTED COLLECTING WASTE LETS BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT AND START NATIONALLY IMPOSING FINES WHICH WILL STOP IT ITS A NO BRAINER

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • I was born OF this land, not FOR this and... I want my freedom! Even slaves could gain their freedom.

Bring in our most basic human right of being able to "opt out" of society. This thing I was born into was not of my making, nor do I wish to be part of it! I should be able to live my life as a true human and not as a captive human, I am completely against slavery and wholesale abuse! The government need to pass a law to "opt out" seeing as nobody actually signed up for it! I wasn't even born, before it swallowed me whole...

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Stopping the slaughter for halal meat of animals and poultry without them first being stunned.

I understand from the RSPCA that this is illegal yet thousands of animals and birds are being killed daily in this way, as was shown on BBC program Countryfile 2 weeks ago. These animals have their throats cut and bleed to death all in the name of religion.

32 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • private companies that win public service contracts not being allowed to hide behind ' commercial confidentiality.'

When private companies win public service contracts, the financial details of the contract are not available to the public. They claim 'commercial confidentiality'. When those services were provided in-house by public bodies, the information was publicly available, to safeguard public money and ensure that value was being obtained. Private companies should be obliged to make all the financial details of the contract publicly available, to provide the same safeguards as before, and make them publicly accountable.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • The Trans-Atlantic Trade Treaty is a real threat to democracy. For details see http://action.sumofus.org/a/stop-ttip/?sub=fb

Campaign against our government signing a treaty which will allow large corporations to over turn our laws of they clash with the corporations business interests in our country e.g. smoking advertising and restrictions or fracking for gas

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • This Government has now said that local Councillors are ' willing volunteers' and cannot be in the local authority pension scheme.

The last Government allowed local councillors to join the local authority contributary pension scheme. This is good to encourage more young people to be involved. The average age now is about mid 60's and the image is of retired people who become local councillors to 'top up' their pensions and they have time to do the work. But how will we ever get more young people involved and active without a pension scheme. Afterall you can work in tescos, and the government opts you in automatically now. If we are not careful only rich people and the older people will…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Eradicating the cosy little cliques forming the "democratic" selection process of who is allowed to stand as a MP. The corrupt machinery.

Eradicating the cosy little cliques forming the "democratic" selection process of who is allowed to stand as a MP.
                    The corrupt machinery which is a threat to to transparency and independence of legislators.
                    They are a pretence of democracy, put most charitably.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • STOP SOPPY E-MAIL POLITICS

It's too easy: don't think, just react, with a push of a button, just dilute a formal democracy painfully shaped over 800 years. I Know! Let's do elections by facebook, Parliament by Twitter; It's so cooool and simple. I hardly have to think at all. Even my gerbil can do it. And if we signed up all our pets - gerbils, buggies, hamsters, whatever - we'd get things done, so much faster. Soon there'll be an app on your mobile that will even think for you - so you won't have to do a thing. EXCEPT , when you have…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make "Gagging Orders" illegal in the public Sector.

Gagging Orders are detrimental to the public.

We, the public have a right to know what is going on within a 'business' if it deals with any sector of the public. Take the recent case (even though it happened in 2010) of the head of media and public affairs for the Care Quality Commission, Roger Davidson. He lost his job because he revealed the NHS had failed to meet basic hygiene standards. Link- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10137029/Speaking-out-cost-NHS-whistleblower-his-job.html

The disclosure is the latest blow to the CQC. It comes after former managers, including Cynthia Bower, the chief executive, were accused of orchestrating a “cover-up”.…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Make Manifesto's into Contracts for UK MP's

When there is General Election, each party presents a 'Manifesto'. They use this manifesto to urge people to vote for them to hopefully get them the most votes for them to become the new PM. What is needed is a change in the way this manifesto is used, once a party is voted in to Number 10, the manifesto should automatically become a 'Contract'.

There shall also no longer be a coalition Government in power, when there is a General Election and it is either too close to call or a draw between two parties, it shall be decided in…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • 11 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Human Right to have time to Grieve - Heartless Councils evicting people after death of loved ones

Councils across the UK are using housing law (rights of succession and over occupancy) to evict people and in many cases make them homeless with 28 day notice even when someone has just died.
                              One council gives six months and says they will look for alternative
                              accommodation. Why aren't others doing the same? A friend of mine who has mental health issues has just lost his mother to lung and brain cancer and has been sent a form two days after the funeral to leave a property he has been in all his life for 51 yrs in 28 days. …

18 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • bring back pensions for women aged 60

I will be 60 next year and think it is disgusting that I will not get my old age pension until I am 66

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • job seakers allowance santions

online petition against job seakers allowance santions

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Non-Fluoridation of UK Tap water

Several studies suggest that Sodium-penta-fluoride that is added to everyday tap water is bad. This is also found in the majority of toothpaste. Water Supplies agencies are told that Fluoride is beneficial to your dental health and prevents tooth decay. This is in relation to Calcium Fluoride, but Sodium-penta-fluoride, the actual chemical that is added is really bad. It calcifies your pineal gland (the area of your brain that controls levels of melatonin and DMT - our feel good chemicals). Once this becomes calicified we begin to become very docile and less likely to challenge things. Dimentia has also been…

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Mental Health funding and psychiatric bed closures

Psychiatric and mental health services are in crisis. Year on year more people are detained to hospital due to a lack of community services that can support recovery and enable people yo take control of their lives. On top of this we are seeing psychiatric bed closures. Where are vulnerable people with mental health problems going to receive the support they need. Add in the welfare reforms and bedroom tax alongside Social Work cuts in local government and police cuts we are heading for problems.

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Stop childhood abuse in time to avoid adult despair

So many unemployed Psychology Graduates. Employ one in every junior school with the sole aim of 'spotting', befriending and gain the trust of abused children - physical, sexual and emotional abused kids - to hopefully gain their trust to tell them their 'secret' before too much damage is caused to their psyche. It is a fact that this would save the NHS millions in the treatment of adults who have nowhere to turn as kids and, believe me, live their lives as lonely, terrified, often psychotic young pele and adults. I have already offered my MP to just 'cost' my…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • The MoD is proposing to dump more radioactive waste from nuclear submarine base into the River Clyde. There is more info available.

Both the river and road between 2 bases will be extremely vulnerable to this waste. And the button is in the US!

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base