Campaign suggestions

Uservoice is now closed

If you feel passionately about an issue, you can start your own campaign about it here:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/

It’s really easy to get started, but if you get stuck there’s loads of tips here:
https://home.38degrees.org.uk/cby-tips/

Want to connect with other members? There’s lots of lively discussion on our Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/peoplepowerchange

Or why not meet other members in ‘real life’?! Find out if there’s a local 38 degrees group near you here:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/local_chapter_collections/1

And if there isn’t one, set one up! Sign up and create one here:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/users/sign_in/events

Want to get in touch with the office team? You can do that here:
https://home.38degrees.org.uk/about/contact-us/

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for a Public Enquiry into all aspects of the Cyril Smith Accusations

I would like to demand a full Public Enquiry into all aspects of how Cyril Smith MP was able to escape prosecution for his known peodefile activities. The Enquiry to cover Political, Secret Services, Police and CPS involvement in the cover-up

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Discouraging cold calling

Cold callers regularly withhold their numbers. Line providers should be legally obliged to provide an option enabling subscribers to block calls from withheld numbers.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Stop T-mobile increasing fixed contract prices before the agreed term has passed.

Like thousands of mobile phone users, I have received a letter from my provider telling me that they are going to increase the cost of my contract half way through it term.
        The excuse is that they need to keep up with inflation.
        This is just another case of greed to provide the shareholders with bigger payouts.
        Once we have signed a contract, we the user cannot change our mind or reduce what we pay for the services without paying a penalty.
        A penalty should also apply to the phone provider, in this case T-mobile.

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Protect employees from abuse by their companies for lifting and moving accidents

Many staff are employed in jobs which require lifting and moving heavy objects, eg some airline staff, Special Assistance helpers.
          These staff have NO protection from the companies that require them to do this. If they injure themselves eg whilst lifting a disabled person from a wheelchair to a seat:
          - they do NOT get any pay whilst they are recovering/off
          - they have to pay for their own treatment, and
          - usually do not receive any compensation for their injuries
          - may have to leave their job
          - may have serious health problems, requiring treatment and other home adjustment…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • MPs should have a local house supplied (and withdrawn) with the job.

Like the church vicarage system, the local taxpayer should supply the elected MP with a suitable size local house for the term they represent the electorate, which they would lose if deselected. This would mean MP's do not build up any equity/advantage via property price increases and would reacquaint MPs with the insecurity of tenure common to the people they represent. The properties would be held in trust by the local council on behalf of council taxpayers.

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Childcare vouchers vs Tax-free Childcare

Childcare vouchers have become an important part of many working parents’ lives, and a lot of families simply could not afford to pay for quality childcare without this assistance from the government. There will be some families better off with Tax-Free Childcare when it comes into effect, but once a parent has switched to the new system there will be no going back. The vast majority will be worse off. Unfortunately, this also adds a constraint on people moving jobs, because if you leave your employer (who has the child voucher scheme) and join another you will NOT be able…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Fight the Crown Estate residential property sell off

The Crown Estates has for many generations rented farms and residential properties to the public - the South-West having a substantial part of these. As a result many families have remained in the same properties for years (Often generations). Over the past few years Crown Estates have decided to turn their attentions to developing retail/business assets in... guess where? Yup, London. As a result they need vast amounts of cash to fund this. To get this cash it looks as though they are rapidly selling off swathes of the rural estate. Tenants are being given 2 months to quit -…

53 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • A more proportional voting system for the UK Parliament

A referendum should be held on whether to implement the Alternative Vote Top Up system (also known as AV+) as recommended by the Jenkins Commission.

The commission was asked to take into account the following four requirements, and recommended AV+ as the best solution:
                    - broad proportionality,
                    - the need for stable government,
                    - an extension of voter choice, and
                    - the maintenance of a link between MPs and geographical constituencies.

The current UK parliament voting system produces a result which is clearly not proportional and not very democratic.

A referendum rejected the Alternative Vote, but AV on it's own…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Cut to 10 percent Vat on pub and food service outlets. To keep pubs afloat ,jobs and social structures.this would more than retain the tax t

This is to save pubs which are dying. The overheads are enormous, with rents etc. they provide many jobs and are a social asset. The tax lost would soon be regained with increased turnover.there is already duty on the drink so vat is tax on a tax like petrol.staff pay tax too. Business rates are greedy, no wonder so many are going bust. As it is now people can't afford to eat out.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • An end to MPs policing their own ethics and standards

Maria Miller has just been asked to repay £5,800 in expenses she was not entitled to, once again undermining our confidence in the integrity of the political system. This is further compounded by two additional factors. Firstly, the original amount of £45,800 (set by the IPSA), if that had been benefits, would have meant she would be facing a minimum 1 year custody sentance, instead of having to say sorry. Secondly, it was reduced down to £5,800 by the House Commons Committee on Standards, i.e. MPs. How can we have confidence in the integrity and accountability of our politicians if…

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • A call for the instant dismissal of any MP who is found to be over claiming expenses they are not entitled to

Too many MPs are getting away with over claiming on expenses. While in politics they are protected by peers and their mis-claiming brushed under the carpet, if an employee in any other industry or profession was caught doing this, they would be instantly dismissed and possibly prosecuted. I call for this action to be taken against any politician working under UK law who commits this kind of fraud in order to restore a sense of trust in UK politicians.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • An inquiry in to the poisoning of high numbers of raptors across the country by land owners breaking the wild birds directive legislation

There have been large numbers of Eagles, Buzzards, Hawks etc poisoned this year.
                            The RSPB and other wildlife organisations put lots of work and money in to trying to protect these magnificent creatures and land owners worry about them taking the pheasants (an introduced species) which the land owners and their friends like to shoot. Native species of birds are being deliberately poisoned in favour of an introduced species. This is illegal and more needs to be done about it.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Replace MPs 2nd home mortgage subsidy with state owned or rented accomodation

Following the Maria Miller and previous scandals regarding the opportunities for the misuse of the MPs second home mortgage allowances and the draconian application of the 2nd bedroom rules, it is surely time to replace this blatant profiteering with an alternative "not-for-profit" system.

Alternatives could be a combination of:

> state owned apartment block(s) with various sized flats to suit MPs needs: this could include shared common facilities such as large reception/meeting rooms and guest bedrooms

> within above, MPs who live close to London (such as Miller who has only a 45m commute from Basingstoke) and should therefore need…

77 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Close the Fixated Threat Assessment Centre and pay their victims compensation.

The Fixated Threat Assessment Centre breach Human Rights and Civil Liberties. They deny victims access to lawyers and arrest and hold people purely based on rumors and lies. I lost my job because I was held prisoner for 4 months purely as a result of false information. They government are breaching Magna Carta by allowing the FTAC to continue.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Prisoners should not profit in any way from their crimes. I refer to Millie Dowler's killer.

Should MP's be allowed to have debts waived, say sorry and still sit in Parliament. What affect will this have on the young and impressionable? Many pre-school children are still up for the
                                  6 O'clock news.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Prisoners should not profit in any way from their crimes. I refer to Millie Dowler's killer.

I can't get my head round a child killer inside for life can gain monetary payment because he was badly beaten up by another prisoner. The easy solution would be to put him in solitary confinement for life.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Ask David Cameron if he realises support for Maria Miller reinforces the public's disdain for politicians

Trying to make senior politicians understand just how much we, the voters, are disillusioned with the way they are neither accountable for their actions like the rest of us are, nor justified in their disdainful disregard for the spirit of the rules they operate within

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • MRA Regulatory Consultants

Offering services in medicines regulatory affairs throughout Canada. Call + 27 (0)12 803-1039 /-6223 /-5955 now, for further information. Info: http://www.mra-regulatory.com/

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • should we have a referendem on whether we should have a referendem

We had a referendum in London as to whether we wanted to have a Mayor and an Assembley to run London.

Why can we not have a referendum on Europe as to whether we have a referendum : Now or on a set date or after the election or Not at all.

I think this would be very interesting to find out

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Campaign suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base