Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Human Right to have time to Grieve - Heartless Councils evicting people after death of loved ones

Councils across the UK are using housing law (rights of succession and over occupancy) to evict people and in many cases make them homeless with 28 day notice even when someone has just died.
    One council gives six months and says they will look for alternative
    accommodation. Why aren't others doing the same? A friend of mine who has mental health issues has just lost his mother to lung and brain cancer and has been sent a form two days after the funeral to leave a property he has been in all his life for 51 yrs in 28 days. …

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • bring back pensions for women aged 60

I will be 60 next year and think it is disgusting that I will not get my old age pension until I am 66

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • job seakers allowance santions

online petition against job seakers allowance santions

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Poverty & welfare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Non-Fluoridation of UK Tap water

Several studies suggest that Sodium-penta-fluoride that is added to everyday tap water is bad. This is also found in the majority of toothpaste. Water Supplies agencies are told that Fluoride is beneficial to your dental health and prevents tooth decay. This is in relation to Calcium Fluoride, but Sodium-penta-fluoride, the actual chemical that is added is really bad. It calcifies your pineal gland (the area of your brain that controls levels of melatonin and DMT - our feel good chemicals). Once this becomes calicified we begin to become very docile and less likely to challenge things. Dimentia has also been…

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Mental Health funding and psychiatric bed closures

Psychiatric and mental health services are in crisis. Year on year more people are detained to hospital due to a lack of community services that can support recovery and enable people yo take control of their lives. On top of this we are seeing psychiatric bed closures. Where are vulnerable people with mental health problems going to receive the support they need. Add in the welfare reforms and bedroom tax alongside Social Work cuts in local government and police cuts we are heading for problems.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Stop childhood abuse in time to avoid adult despair

So many unemployed Psychology Graduates. Employ one in every junior school with the sole aim of 'spotting', befriending and gain the trust of abused children - physical, sexual and emotional abused kids - to hopefully gain their trust to tell them their 'secret' before too much damage is caused to their psyche. It is a fact that this would save the NHS millions in the treatment of adults who have nowhere to turn as kids and, believe me, live their lives as lonely, terrified, often psychotic young pele and adults. I have already offered my MP to just 'cost' my…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • The MoD is proposing to dump more radioactive waste from nuclear submarine base into the River Clyde. There is more info available.

Both the river and road between 2 bases will be extremely vulnerable to this waste. And the button is in the US!

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Stop the Islamic movements into altering the law.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587215/Sharia-Law-enshrined-British-legal-lawyers-guidelines-drawing-documents-according-Islamic-rules.html

Basically, campaign against this. While I understand that people of the Islamic religions like to solve their disputes within their own courts(and that's fine), this is a simple inequality of gender and a breach into human rights. It is also planting an idea that it is fine to use religion literature as guidelines towards creating law.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • A review and possible solutions to the amount of secondary school students and you adult employees the face mental health (depression)

There is a noticeable rise in number of the amount of young people admitting to feelings of depression, showing signs of suicide such as self harm or even hinting symptoms of bulimia or anorexia. The amount of health care provided for students and employees is lacking due to their own personal issues, instead we should be asking them whats happening in their life? How they are feeling? Are you happy with yourself? As much as these people need to step forward and admit their position, we need to know and understand the right questions to ask and find a solution…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • returning control of our money supply to our democratically elected government

Currently, our money supply is in the hands of private bankers, its the same in all western states, anywhere with a central bank. They lend money to our government at interest. That interest portion literally doesnt exist, so we have to borrow more money into existence just to pay the installments on the debt, work longer hours, use more natural resources etc etc. As i see it, until this situation is addressed, everything else is smoke and mirrors. Usuary=debt slavery

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Reform child protection and end forced adoption

Parents are living in fear in the UK. Afraid to send their children to school if they've fallen from their bikes, and have small cuts or bruises. Afraid to seek help for depression, grief or anxiety. Afraid to report domestic violence, for fear of losing their children - as many victims of abuse do.

Why? Because the UK is one of the only countries in the world to remove children based on hearsay or opinion alone, without any evidence of abuse, and forcibly adopt them.

Children are removed into care, some times from birth, and are never returned. Adoptions are…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • oppose the move to decriminalise BBC licence fee evasion

Removing a criminal prosecution option for licence fee evasion is a very dangerous step and it's clearly part of a much wider attempt to neuter the BBC as an independent provider of news and current affairs - that's why it's supported by the supposedly independent Murdoch, Berkeley brothers and Dacre-ite press.

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • STOP DIRECT DEBITS TO UTILITY COMPANIES

Stop standing orders and direct debits for utility companies for 1 month. Without breaking any law.
                            Bring the huge businesses/banks to a grinding halt. Empower the people to give them a right to say enough is enough. Major business in this country is heavily involved in politics.

Lets show the minority just how powerful we are. A protest against being bled dry by the people who run this country. The banks and utility companies rely heavily on computerised cash extraction. With out our compliance there will be chaos.
                            A successful campaign could result in other such powerful peaceful protests

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Democratise Nationwide Building Society

We would like all members of the Nationwide Building Society to support resolutions produced by the Building Societies Members Association (BSMA) to stop the continued undemocratic, anti-mutual and biased methods used in the voting system of the Nationwide Building Society.

If you are a member of the Nationwide Building Society please act as a nominee and support the resolutions. For more information go to the BSMA website at www.building-societies-members.org.uk.

Members have a legal right to have resolutions presented and to stand as candidates for election to the board of the Nationwide Building Society but, despite the claim to be…

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • The anti-hunting ban should not be repealed or weakened

The government is being lobbied to relax the anti-hunting ban.

Environment officials are examining what they describe as a "viable amendment" to the Hunting Act, which would allow up to 40 hounds to flush out a fox to face waiting guns rather than two, a move that critics claim would effectively reintroduce hunting with hounds "through the back door".

The proposed amendment would be likely to use a parliamentary device known as a statutory instrument to amend the contentious 2004 act. Opponents of foxhunting predict that the move will be unveiled next month and it is has been claimed that…

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • stopping the law society enshrining sharia law to prevent women from inheriting. This is abhorrent to women in this day and age .

To put pressure on Nicholas Fluck of the law society who is moving to enshrine this outrageous law (calling it 'good practice') to reduce women once again to lesser beings by excluding them. Women should be up in arms about this. How dare they? This is medieaval in concept and and an offence to all the women who have over the years striven and sufferd and worked hard to be recognised for what they are - equals. The suffragettes will be turning in their graves!

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • There is an enormous and growing divide between the rich and poor in the UK. I would like to see a doubling of the minimum wage to help to

There is an enormous and growing divide between the rich and the poor in the UK. I would like to see a doubling of the minimum wage in order to address this.
                                    I understand that we have the lowest productivity in Europe in the UK. It will be argued that doubling the minimum wage might lead to more unemployment but it should lead to greater productivity from the remaining employees and subsequently more jobs.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Just watched the whole of David Babbs in the Commons Select committee utube. It was excellent. I look forward to hearing the positive sugges

How we get the general public to engage in politics (not Politics!) Get MPs active in the community, not just as figureheads opening events. More MPs who are themselves Jo Publics not millionaires with little understanding of the average person. David spoke very well in Commons Select Committee - I couldn't tear myself away. We must now follow it up.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Strengthen the Female Genital Mutliation Act to improve prosecution chances

Currently FGM is illegal in the UK but the law is poor and has not yet resulted in one conviction. This law needs strengthening in the following ways:
                                        Anonymity needs to be guaranteed for all victims, just as it is in rape cases. Anonymity needs to be granted to prosecution witnesses where they may face persecution from communities that promote this practice. Anonymity needs to be given to the accused where it is necessary to protect the victim.
                                        Parents and legal guardians should have a legal duty to prevent FGM being carried out on girls in their care. If a…

17 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Taxing Overseas Corporations - Using a Transaction Tax

I want government to create a new tax 'Transaction Tax' that is levied at the point of sale and can be set against UK corporation tax. Using this instrument it would force overseas corporations to pay some corporation tax in the UK. Transaction Tax that is not off-set against UK corporation Tax would remain in the governments coffers.

E.g. Amazon pays 15 Transaction Tax when it makes a sale - lets say £1000. The VAT mechanism would collect this cheaply. In our example Amazon would pay £150. This could then be off-set against UK Corporation Tax. So other than cash…

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Economy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base