Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Leasehold and Freehold Ground rents

Buying a property....Leasehold for Freehold....stop these Landlords making a vast fortune from owning the land the property is built on.
    This idea of a buying a property with a short lease is rediculous.
    Lets stop this stupid idea

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • MPs to lower their pensions first before public servants

MPs should show that they really believe in making people work longer for less pension by changing their own pensions before expecting public servants to do it.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • make cannabis legal

cannabis needs to be made legal. If the goverment makes it legal, they could tax it and sell it in shops. This way more people will have jobs so there will be less people out of jobs, less people homeless, less people dieing from living on the streets, less crime and will hopefully pull Britain out of debt. this wouldn't just keep our country out of debt, it will also keep us more happy and more healthier and less depressed which could also mean less suicides.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Legal costs after judicial review

Where the policies of elected representatives are challenged by Judicial Review and found to be unlawful the political party involved should reimburse the public body (department or council) for the legal costs of defending the policy. It is a scandal that they can use public money to defend their own unlawful ideas.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Politics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • reverse the cuts to Legal Aid

Campaign against the cuts to social welfare law and lets show those in "trouser suits" that there are huge amounts of people out there who care about the weak, the disabled, the vulnerable and elderly and help defect the plans to cut Legal Aid , a means of support, advice and representation. Our privacy has already taken a battering from individuals. By uniting we can make a difference!

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Preserve the Mayday holiday

The Mayday celebrations have links to ancient spring-time rites and this should be preserved.

The notion of replacing it with a 'national day' smacks of jingoism.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Halve the voting rights of the greedy aged.

Britain's aged as a group have become greedy: expecting better treatment than the rest of the population because of the political power they wield at General Elections, and the support of self-serving MPs seeking to retain their seats at whatever cost.

The advantageous non means tested benefits received by the aged and economic progress they prevent as NIMBY group members is neither economically or ethically right.

Help curtail this group's overpowering influence and re-balance their political power: give each of them half a vote at elections. Remember: these predominantly retired folks do/will not directly contribute to getting Britain out of…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Change the method voting ages, to school years, rather than age

Currently, you need to have had your 18th birthday before Election Day before you can vote. My issue with this is that if you are a late birthday, many school friends, who are in the same year are able to vote but if you are younger in the year you can't.
                  This is an issue, since the level of maturity and voting understanding does not correlate to being younger within a school year group, and makes those who are younger feel left out, and unable to voice their opinion, like their equally mature friends

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Directly Elected Government

At the moment the electorate of the country has very little say in the selection of the Head of the UK's Government. The decision is made in Westminster by only the 650 people elected to Parliament, who may have been chosen on their own personal merits rather than on the policies of their party leader.

Separate election of the Government and Parliament would strengthen both. The executive would have greater democratic legitimacy and would therefore be able to pursue its agenda with a direct mandate. Parliamentarians would have their own geographic mandates meaning they could better represent constituents and be…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • 38 Degrees to become a political party after Gagging Law passed

The broken promises of Nick Clegg on tuition fees and David Cameron on the NHS are just two prominent examples of how representative democracy and the existing political parties are no longer fit for purpose. When manifesto commitments are at best whimsical aspirations and at worst outright lies, with few checks on the conflicts of interest between politicians and corporate lobbyists, and an endless restriction of civil liberties and freedom of speech, politics in the UK is due a much needed shake up. The reason 38 Degrees has millions of members from across the political spectrum is that it has…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Remove the ring fence on foreign aid.

The government is cutting spending on every area of our lives in effort to reduce the deficit this country faces, and yet they insist on sending even more of our hard earned Tax payers money overseas. Of all the countries in the G8, we're the only country sticking to the goal of 0.7% GDP for "better off" countries, despite the fact that the plans to enshrine this in law were dropped.

Most countries are doing the sensible thing, tightening their belts and reducing their foreign aid. When pensioners can't even afford to heat their homes in winter because our government…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Scientific based drug laws

We need an evidence-based approach to policy rather than one based on prejudice or, worse still, political self-interest masquerading as public morality.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Envigorating the Labour Opposition

We feel impotent in the face of Tory policies.
                            There appears to be no effective, or even vociferous, opposition coming from the Milliband front bench.
                            Suggest a campaign directed at Milliband encouraging him not to wait until 2015 before vigourously opposing the Tories. By then it will be too late.
                            We need a real Opposition Movement NOW !

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Back the Kelly report on party fundingin full. Show them we want to pay a little for a lot more integrity.

Back the Kelly report on party fundingin full. The large donations from a small group of individuals, or unions, on which the parties rely make some of us more equal than others (as Old Major would have it).

Right now the three major parties are using the recommendation of requiring greater public funding during a time of austerity as an excuse to shelve a real solution. Show them we'd rather pay 50p extra per year to have a democracy in which we're all equal.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Every citizen in the UK should have a vote on Scottish Independence. It's not just a matter for the Scots! It affects us all.

Every voter in the United Kingdom should be able to express their preference at the ballot box over the issue of breaking up the UK. This is very late in the day I know, but the importance of the issue grows as we get nearer to the proposed Scottish voting day.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Boundary Commission Proposals

The boundary commission are getting rid of 50 MP's in the country which means they are changing the boundaries. When they drew up the new plans, they didn't take into account cities, borders, communities, ripping them a part. My home city Salford, will no longer have a constituency called Salford?! How can a city not have a representative? It will be carved up and put into different areas. This is happening all over the country breaking up community ties and we only have until Monday 5th to have our say!

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Stop Obama for entering the UK until the US changes laws about espionage

Obama's administration has charged Edward Snowdon with espionage, seeking deportation. Attacks on whistleblowers (Assange, Manning, Snowden) by the US government are stopping transparency and debate about critical political and human rights issues.

I propose a campaign to stop Obama entering the UK until the US changes the law and stops unlawfully harassing and criminally charging whistleblowers. Whistleblowers serve as critically important and vauled citizens in times when political agencies need to be held to account; it's time for change.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Introduce a law on media ownership whereby only UK citizens/taxpayers/residents can own UK media

The media are in a unique position to influence political decisions, for example on tax, the EU and immigration. Many owners are/have been non-resident, non-taxpayers and citizens of other countries. This is illegal in other countries and should be here. Now is the time.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Stop Obama entering the UK until espionage laws are changed

Obama's administration has charged Edward Snowdon with espionage, seeking deportation. Attacks on whistleblowers (Assange, Manning, Snowden) by the US government are stopping transparency and debate about critical political and human rights issues.

I propose a campaign to stop Obama entering the UK until the US changes the law and stops unlawfully harassing and criminally charging whistleblowers. Whistleblowers serve as critically important and valued citizens in times when political agencies need to be held to account; it's time for change.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Replace Council Tax with a Local Income Tax

A Local Income Tax could be administered by HMRC at very little additional cost (each council would set a % rate which would be added to basic rate tax). Currently every council has to run its own council tax system, to perform periodic revaluations, to run a council tax benefit system, and to pursue court cases and bailiff action against defaulters. The cost of all that would disappear overnight. Then there’s the time and cost of the court cases themselves, and the emotional and real cost to those in arrears – often the most vulnerable in society. And the load…

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base