Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • adult care old age people newcastle social services

newcastle social services think they are above the law they with hold information from familys about what happens in the care homes run by cowboys. its a very high profit for no return this has to be stopped.

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • The judiciary to sentence on the basis of the evidence in individual cases – no max or minimum.

Magistrates and judges should be free to determine sentences against the principles of punishment (proportionate to the harm caused to individual victims, groups or society as a whole), example and rehabilitation on a case by case basis. Mandatory penalties be it "Life" for murder or 3pts for speeding may usually be appropriate but if imposed automatically, will guarantee injustice at best occasionally. Those charged with sentencing should be enabled to use their discretion and 'judgement' and be free to perhaps conditionally discharge a provoked murderer or impose 30 year minimum life sentences on a persistent fraudster.... Guidelines yes, automatic/mandated and…

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • TETRA: The police comms technology which is causing cancer in the police force, and with masts all over Britain

Hi, I agree that TETRA is incredibly dangerous potentially. It is basically microwaves pulsed out of a mast at 17.6 times a second. These kind of microwaves were used in the cold war as a secret weapon (Pandora Project) to disorientate the enemy and make them sick, dizzy etc. It is now being used for police comms!! Since the rollout of TETRA as Airwave in 2006 there have been many complaints from the police (and lets face it it takes quite a lot for the police to complain publically about something internal) For more details see the link below http://www.tetrawatch.net/contact/feedback.php?id=police

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • 5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Maintain ban on Zimbabwe blood diamonds

The EU are trying to propose that diamond sales from two key mines in Marange, Zimbabwe, be re-allowed - these have previously been banned under the Kimberley Process due to the extremely disgraceful human rights records in the fields.

Bans on Zimbabwean blood diamonds should be kept until they can prove that these are mined in ways that are humane and just to legal workers, rather than the despicable treatment that people are forced in to working under at the moment.

5 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • 4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Banning

Herbal Medicines

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • The way allegations of sexual and physical abuse of children are investigated

I would like to launch an online campaign to call for a change in the law, regarding the way that reports of suspected sexual assault on children are investigated.
                      I believe that what is happening at the moment, is that cases of suspected assault on children by council employees, that are reported to the council-run 'Safeguarding Boards,' are simply being ignored.
                      This is because these Boards have set the bar for launching any kind of investigation, so high that - in practice - 99 per cent of the cases that are reported to them never get investigated.
                      They become 'buried'…

4 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • abolishing benefit sanctions...everyone needs to eat.

Many people have died already because of their monetary support being cut. Does the British taxpayer want the government to deny people with no other means of support the right to eat. How are benefit sanctions even allowed to happen, stop them now.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Guide dogs exemption from 'bedroom tax'

Those in the disability community who use any form of guide dog or assistance dog do need a second bedroom forr their dog. These are generally larger breeds, and single bedroom properties simply don't have enough room for them, so forcing guide dog owners into single bedroom properties is institution cruelty to their dogs. Despite this, guide dogs are not recognised as essential disability equipment, so owners are not being exempted from a charge for their second bedroom. This atrocious piece of legislation needs amending to correct this inequity. There are only about 10,000 guide/assistance dogs in the UK, so…

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Please help defeat Terasa May's intention to block foreign nationals entering the UK unless you have £20k or more.

My name is Bob Swan, I am married to a US citizen who does not have Leave to Remain at present, and under Terasa May's proposed changes my wife will not be allowed entry to the UK, as I am on Disability Living Allowance, and as such below the £20k set by Ms May. We do not want to rely on the state for benefits, and whilst she has been here I have managed to support us on my benefits alone, it has not been easy. We have right to family life, and under these new proposals, our rights will…

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • 4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Stop plans to halve rape jail sentence with guilty plea

Ministers say the move would spare victims the ordeal of reliving their attack by giving evidence in court. But the real reason is because it avoids costs to the police, CPS and courts of cracked trials.

Under existing laws, those who plead guilty to rape at the earliest opportunity can have their jail terms reduced by up to a third. The standard tariff for a rape conviction is five years. The new plans could see sex attackers walk free after as little as 15 months on license.

The recent abhorrent remarks made by a police officer suggesting that women should…

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • 4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Force people in the workplace esp Police to put law before religion via non compliance.

i.e. Zero tolerance on fasting (the reckless drivers chasing/prosecuting the reckless drivers) and to leave religious symbols at home or in lockers. (turbans do not clearly identify police officers as anything other than being Sikh)

Until we get this we should not comply in any way with openly religious officers. Plead not guilty if any religious officer had anything to do with a case.

Workers could sign up to this as they do drug/alcohol policy or face dismissal.

Religion is a mental illness,it should play no part in our or our children's lives and be kept to after the watershed…

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • piercing a baby's ears is child abuse and must be stopped.

Stop the legalised mutilation of babies and young children. Why is permanently mutilating your child treated differently to smacking?

Piercing the ears of a child carries risks of infection and is frightening and painful. I have watched a young child wet himself in fright whilst sat in the piercing chair at Claire's, this is child abuse!I felt helpless to do anything as the parents and piercer did nothing illegal.

This practice has no benefits at all, it isn't done for cultural or religious reasons, purely vanity. Please campaign to change the law so no child should be made to suffer…

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • GIVE POWER BACK TO THE POLICE TO STOP NOISE POLLUTION.

Sleep deprivation is a recognised form of torture. Sleep deprivation and disturbed sleep causes health problems, exacerbates existing ones and is likely to shorten your lifespan. Sleep deprivation can even be a cause of death. Yet thanks to a law-change around 5-6 years ago, you must report noise pollution to local council environmental health departments, not the police and should you ask what can be done to make it stop, they will tell you:

"Nothing. We can only keep a record. You must also keep a record of subsequent incidents."

You might go many more days without proper sleep than…

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base